Insurance denial for botox

Discuss here about Medical Disability claims and Insurance possibilities for PN treatment options
HerMajesty

Insurance denial for botox

Post by HerMajesty »

Hey, does anyone have any literature or suggestions to counter this insurance denial for botox to piriformis?

Dr. Filler suggested piriformis injections after MRN as my piriformis muscles are bipartite (split) and very tight. I had them injected with steroid (approved without a problem by same insurance), but that only put me into a flare and gave me sciatica. I really want to try botox because if I can rule out the piriformis as the culprit by relaxing it with no result, I will know for sure i need tarlov cyst surgery; whereas if relaxing the piriformis relieves my symptoms I will be able to avoid the surgery. Tarlov cyst treatment is major neurosurgery so I think it only makes sense to try this 1st.

Here is the wording of the denial; my Doc is trying to do a peer-to-peer but if that doesn't work I wil need to fight it myself and would appreciate suggestions:

""Botox injections for this condition which includes myofascial pain syndrome, low back pain, and anismus (pelvic floor dyssynergia) is considered investigational. Studies in the medical peer review journals for the piriformis myofascial pain syndrome do not support conclusions about the effects of the botulinum toxin. The medical information made available shows that you have piriformis muscle and pelvic pain. The reason for the decision is based upon out Medical Policy (DRUG.00006.Botulinum Toxin)"

I can argue a good case for myself if necessary but it would be particularly helpful if anyone has peer review literature to counter their claim that botox use for pelvic pain is not supported.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Karyn

Re: Insurance denial for botox

Post by Karyn »

Hi HM!
Do you happen to have BC/BS insurance? That was pretty much the wording I got in response when seeking approval a couple of years ago. And BC/BS would NOT budge. I'll have to go back and look at my records because they did list a bunch of stuff they would cover the injections for. With that in mind, do you have a doc that would work with you for the diagnostic codes?
Wishing you the best ...
Love,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Yep, that is it, the dreaded BC/BS.

So far this Doc and his staff has been great but the problem about him fighting my battles for me is that I came to him needing this one procedure only, not as a regular client. My regular pain guy is a PA who works out of an Osteopathic pain clinic and they don't do any of these kinds of injections, so I am being farmed out to some poor guy who has met me once.

I do think the codes can be worked on though since I have neuropathy in my toes and reduced ankle reflexes which Dr. Filler said are due to sciatic nerve, plus some more classic intermittant sciatica since those steroid injections; so the question becomes if I use the sciatic symptoms to plead more classic "piriformis syndrome" will they be less un-budgeable about that?

I had been anticipating having to pay for my own botox vial but not the entire procedure.

What was your outcome, Karyn? Did you do it on your own dime or give up the botox idea?
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
ezer

Post by ezer »

I had BC/BS too and they wouldn't pay for Botox. They did pay for outpatient services at the medical facility that Dr.Jordan uses.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

ezer wrote:I had BC/BS too and they wouldn't pay for Botox. They did pay for outpatient services at the medical facility that Dr.Jordan uses.
Did you have to fight for the outpatient hospitalization, or did they just grant it? I am pretty sure Dr. Jordan does not take insurance but the guy I am using is in-network. I would be thrilled just to have them pay the facility and pay the doc to stick the needle in me. I'll cover the cost of the botox vial...I hear it costs less than 50 cents to make a vial of botox and it retails for $500 to $800 per vial. But still i expected to eat that cost. I just can't afford to use all my reserves on covering the total procedure, as i will need the reserves if it turns out I need the tarlov surgery.
ezer

Post by ezer »

HerMajesty wrote:
ezer wrote:I had BC/BS too and they wouldn't pay for Botox. They did pay for outpatient services at the medical facility that Dr.Jordan uses.
Did you have to fight for the outpatient hospitalization, or did they just grant it? I am pretty sure Dr. Jordan does not take insurance but the guy I am using is in-network. I would be thrilled just to have them pay the facility and pay the doc to stick the needle in me. I'll cover the cost of the botox vial...I hear it costs less than 50 cents to make a vial of botox and it retails for $500 to $800 per vial. But still i expected to eat that cost. I just can't afford to use all my reserves on covering the total procedure, as i will need the reserves if it turns out I need the tarlov surgery.
It was not a problem for the medical facility. It happened automatically which was a pleasant surprise. For Dr.Jordan and Botox, it was denied. I did not insist too much to be honest as I was doing very poorly after the injections.
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

I didn't personally file for an appeal for the botox, but the UroGyn I was seeing at the time did, on my behalf. BC/BS still wouldn't budge. I have to say I'm not sorry. I really didn't know anything about it at the time and probably wouldn't have considered it, knowing what I know now. It's just not for me.
Best of luck!
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

It'll probably come down to me writing one of my infamous nastygrams and i'll let everyone know how it turns out. I really do tend to get what I want when i take the time to write...and I have the free extended 100,0000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on my car to prove it :lol: So this will be the test case: can BC / BS be badgered into a botox approval? If I can't do it, I doubt it can be done ;)
ezer

Post by ezer »

Karyn wrote:I didn't personally file for an appeal for the botox, but the UroGyn I was seeing at the time did, on my behalf. BC/BS still wouldn't budge. I have to say I'm not sorry. I really didn't know anything about it at the time and probably wouldn't have considered it, knowing what I know now. It's just not for me.
Best of luck!
Probably a selective Botox injection in 1 muscle will be fine. For me however the after Botox reaction was significantly worse than my surgery recovery. It was shocking as it was sold as the ultimate new, safe, and non-invasive pain management option by many when I had it.
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

Hmmmmm, I spoke with my insurance last week and they said it would not be a problem covering the botox and the procedure. I was rather surprised. I'm scheduled for my MRI with Dr. K (in Phoenix) on April 26th and Botox on April 28th with Dr. Hibner. I have a call in to Dr. Hibner's office to make sure everything is covered by insurance. I'll keep you posted. Maybe we can use each other as case studies for the different insurance companies.
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(

Return to “INSURANCE & DISABILITY ISSUES”