Carbamazepine /Tegretol

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Dorothy

Carbamazepine /Tegretol

Post by Dorothy »

I am in UK and Carbamazepine isn't a recommended treatment for peripheral or other neuropathy - which is probably the thread they follow for PN - but it is rec for trigeminal neuralgia. After failing with pregabalin, amitriptyline and nortriptyline, I asked for carbamazepine. I really didn't want gabapentin as pregabalin had given me Alzheimer's-like symptoms.

And the carbamazepine is working!! it's early days. I started on 100mg a day and increased each week to 200mg daily, 300mg etc. Now on 400mg. First week on 400mg was wonderful and nearly pain-free but now the pain is returning. It's a strange drug that speeds up its own metabolism so gets less effective!!.Also has effects on lots of other drugs too. The screaming pain has gone. Still standing for breakfast after a few days being able to sit but it is encouraging.

Dorothy
Lyme Disease since 1985, ME since 1994, Sjogren's Syndrome, Nerve pain for 8 years just diagnosed in 2012. Cystitis, partly caused by PN. PN helped with Colofac MR - four a day, plus Dicyloverine as needed, plus just starting Lyrica-PreGabalin, May 2012. I've seen my GP and consultants at Furness General - Gynae, Colon for sigmoidoscopy, Urology, who has prescribed the Lyrica and recognises PN. Gynae offered a referral to Dr De Mello in Manchester but I refused. I'll see how Lyrica goes for now.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”