Having Severe Pain

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Sandalwoodsprings

Having Severe Pain

Post by Sandalwoodsprings »

I'm looking for a good Doctor to help me with severe PN pain I'm having a level 10 pains right now with no relief in sight. I am seeing a PA right now who is not able to manage my pain from lack of knowledge and unwillness to work with me. I'm in the Los Angeles area and willing to travel in state .Right now I'm taking Tegrtol (Carbamazepine) 200 MG twice a day and Norco 7.5/325 twice day (every 12 hrs.) No pain relief from the Tegrtol so far and subtle relief from the Norco 7.5 (from a 10 to a 9.) At my last appointment she has since told me that she will only prescribe Norco to just once a day i told her that i accepted the first dosage even though it wasn't strong enough only because she was dead set against prescribing the Norco for me in the first place. I'm trying to work with her and I've done everything she's advised me to do. Not managing my pain is a nightmare let alone lowering the dosage! I also informed her i was suffering from vibration trauma (10+ pain) from a recent car accident just last friday (In fact i was hit on the way to the neurologist she referred me to) basically she yelled at me our whole vist because i didn't agree with her treatment plan and told me she wouldn't give me any norco then! I would like to be part of the treatment plan it should be OUR treatment plan... Oh i also get major flare ups every month during menses with migranes that is also 10+

Please help.
Thanks
nyt

Re: Having Severe Pain

Post by nyt »

You might want to check this group out: http://paincenter.stanford.edu/

I have never been to them but I do know they have a interdisciplinary approach.

I am sure someone who lives in CA can pipe in and give you some suggestions.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

You could read Lottanerve's posts about Dr. Joshua Prager at UCLA. He is an anesthesiologist so probably does more in the area of procedures but his office might be able to direct you to someone who manages pain medications if he doesn't.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Sandalwoodsprings

Post by Sandalwoodsprings »

Hey

Thank you! NYT i gave Stanford a call on Friday that might be an option for me.

Violet M that was you who recommended Dr. Prager! Thank you so much i will call his office on Monday and see whats they can do for me. I hope they won't put a hole in my pocket. I'm really excited to see a doctor who knows what this disorder is! Oh yeah Dr. Hibner is also on my list i found him through this ladies youtube video i think her name is Judy she also suffers from PN.

I'm hoping to see some real positive results this year and into the next.
Donnac

Post by Donnac »

Have any of you been to or heard of Dr. David Redmond in Columbia, South Carolina?
river133

Post by river133 »

Well, I have been doing some serious thinking about a pain pump. I think some one at the Mayo Clinic would know something about this. I recognize in the past they pretty much dismissed pn.
I am not able to travel again to Ca. It would be so wonderful to be sble to live
again. Karyn lead me to lotta nerves posts. I have been searching on line today for a Dr.I will be ever so careful this time to find the correct physican to do this. I am trying to find a Dr.in or near Mpls. Does any one have any suggestions? I know to find a Dr.that is familiar with nueropthy, but to find one that is familiar with pn, sciatic etc.may be difficult.
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
river133

Post by river133 »

Have been in touch with lotta nerve. She directed me to Dr Joshua Prager. I called, he gave me a call back. I asked him if he knew of a Dr.in Mn. that is familiar with pn. He told me about Dr. David Schultz. I called and made an appointment for Oct.16th 7.30 am. Have to get up very early, He has practises in Edina, Maple Grove and Fridely. I will be seeing him in the Fridely office., I am nervous, anxious about this. My pain continues to worsen. I am not able to go walking any longer, I loved that,.I don't know if it is because I am off of oxycontin or not.
Maybe I dare to have some hope again? :(
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Please try to keep some hope. You have not exhausted all avenues although it may seem that way at times. I wish you the very best with the new doctor. I tried to go out on a boat trip the other day and thought we had all the issues addressed but when we docked in Annapolis the dock was higher than the boat. Then after lunch the tide went out and there was a bigger gap so I had to lunge/jump on the boat. I jammed my left leg but did not fall because two of the guys pulled me forward and made sure I did not fall. I went to PT and she told me between this latest incident and my falling a month ago I need to go back in the "bubble"! I really enjoyed the boat trip but must be more careful. The fall was at a restaurant. I am getting out more but still need to be careful and I do hope you can get some of your life back even if limited.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

River,
Hope is so important when dealing with this issue, so please try not to lose that. How nice that Dr. Prager was able to find you a doctor near you who is PN aware. Janet, it is frustrating when you try to do fun things and the result is more pain. I hope you see improvement soon.

Sincerely,
Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Donnac wrote:Have any of you been to or heard of Dr. David Redmond in Columbia, South Carolina?
Yes, I have heard only good things about him. Very kind and knowledgable about PN. He is on the PN list of physicians. http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/58#SC

Ellie, I hope that Dr. Schultz will be able to help you. It's so hard to wait for appointments.
Dr. Antolak also told me that Dr. Christopher Antolak and Dr. Lynn Miller are treating patients in MN.
http://www.northmemorial.com/antolak#.U_kfNcWwLbw
http://www.midwestspine.net/lynn-m-miller-do.htm

I don't know much about them or what approach they use, but maybe something to fall back on if things don't work out with Dr. Schultz.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”