first nerve block with Dr. Antalok

Diagnosis, nerve blocks, transgluteal decompression surgery
river133

first nerve block with Dr. Antalok

Post by river133 »

After having the nerve blocks yesterdayt. I saw Dr. Antalok two hours after the block... He wanted to see how I reacted to them.. He did the pin test and said I was responding when I shouldn't have .. Does that make sense to you.. He said , " you are in trouble" I suppose meaning nerve damage...He said I did not respond to the shots.. I will still be having the second set on the 11th of Nov.. The 3rd will be done at a hosp . by a radioligist..... I will keep you posted , If I am to have the surgery , I am sure it will not be till towards spring... For the first time in three years at least I feel we are getting somewhere, slow as it may be... I am very pleased with his bedside manner and his knowledge of PN... My husband wants me to keep the appointment with Dr. Hibner for a while longer... It is not until Feb. so I still have lots of time.. If this does come to surgery there are many things I need to find out... He told me yesterday that he taught Dr. Abba Shoeirbe..not sure about the spellng.... He told me to get out there and do a video for this area..... I would be too chicken... River 133
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Celeste

Re: first nerve block with Dr. Antalok

Post by Celeste »

river133 wrote:After having the nerve blocks yesterdayt. I saw Dr. Antalok two hours after the block... He wanted to see how I reacted to them.. He did the pin test and said I was responding when I shouldn't have .. Does that make sense to you.. He said , " you are in trouble" I suppose meaning nerve damage...
Next time he says something and you don't know what he means, you have to ask him. I'm sure that none of us can help you know what he meant by that, and it seems like something he should explain since anybody would think the worst over being told that by their doctor.

I hope you get good results from the block.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi River,
How are you feeling? Are you noticing any improvement or having a pain flare?
If Dr. A is saying "you're in trouble", why does he want to repeat the blocks? I guess I can understand giving it one more go,but will he rethink having you get another one, if it's equally ineffective? Yes, I can understand your relief at finally being treated appropriately!
And I'm glad you like Dr. Antolak! It's true that Dr. Shobeiri trained under him. When I saw Dr. Conway at the beginning of this month, he told me he has intentions of learning the modified TG approach from him, as well. He said he didn't know when his schedule will allow the trip to MN, but some time in the future.
river133 wrote:He told me to get out there and do a video for this area..... I would be too chicken... River 133
Do you mean a PN video?
I hope you're doing OK and find the answers you're seeking. Anything I can do to help?
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
river133

Post by river133 »

Yes, he did mean the PN video.. Any one out there up for it? He said he tried a Mpls. tv station and they thought he was just wanting to advertise..He told them" I have plenty of patients" I just want to get the word out about PN.
I really am having a bad flare today.. I am not noticing any relief . He asked me when I was in the first time for the consult where my worst pain is,, I told him , rectal... Certainly am having a huge fire today, not a slow burn so to speak... Nothing would touch this as far as pain meds go today, so I am using ice and I flare more from that, so I am about to try the heat... Did any of you have relief from nerve blocks? I really do think he is going to continue because of diagnostic reasons.... I will write down my questions next time and remember to ask on the spot when I do not understand.... Ellie
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Ellie,
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Are you feeling any better today? Ya know, I can't speak for anyone else, but, if a doctor told me during an examination that "I was in trouble", I probably would've immediately been shocked, horrified and gone numb. There have been countless times I've walked out of a doctors office chastising myself because I didn't ask about this or that. It happens.
I hope you're feeling a little better today!
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
GraceUnderFire

Post by GraceUnderFire »

Does anyone remember the lady who did the PN video . . . I think in Oklahoma? I would like to try and get the word out in my area but am not sure where to start?

Grace
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Grace,
I think the best place to start would be by contacting your local news station. Maybe via e-mail? I could be wrong but I don't think KMC initiated the news clip.
Are you in Maine?
Warm regards,
Karyn
Missingmylife42

Post by Missingmylife42 »

Hi I dont think that was very nice to say that your in trouble from a doctor, no nerve blocks work for me either, I never get numb, but they give me so much pain for weeks and weeks. I have had 5 pn blocks, one from Dr A. And did not go back to him, felt like he made me worse, and the other from Dr Quesda here in NH. I am feeling lost, I had a mri in new york and it showed quite a bit that scares the hell out of me. I am suppose to go to Dr. Hibner this year and scared to do that too. I got this from a hysterctomy last august, probably by not resting they why i should have. Never will i forgive myself for having it, i was just a baby and should have had the abliation. I miss making love with my husband, is my life ever going to be the same. I feel very hopeless.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Missingmylife42 wrote:I have had 5 pn blocks, one from Dr A. And did not go back to him, felt like he made me worse, and the other from Dr Quesda here in NH.
Hi Missing,
Do you live in NH? Are you a patient of Dr. Conways? I can understand you feeling lost but it appears you're doing all the right things about getting an accurate diagnosis (or as accurate as you can get with this! ;) ).
It doesn't seem that nerve blocks work for many people. I'm one of those who suffered horrible flares for weeks after getting them.
River - how are you doing, hon?
Warm regards,
Karyn
river133

Post by river133 »

Hi Karyn, Not a thing has changed as far as pain goes... Did you ever try fentnayl? I am on 50 mg. I don't see any point in asking for more because it does so little , if anything at all.... I am just working towards surgery.. Not sure by whom as yet...
KMC that had the surgery by Dr. Abba S. in OK. the tv station is KOCO... The only godly reason for the nerve blocks , especially when they do so few people any good has to be for diagnostic... Why else would they have you running accross country for the blasted things...When there are only 4 Dr.s that do surgery..... Hope we can all be well one day and go on as somewhat normal people.... Ellie

Return to “Dr. Stanley Antolak -- Minnesota”