Cymbalta and Lyrica or Neurontin

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
A's Mommy

Re: Cymbalta and Lyrica or Neurontin

Post by A's Mommy »

I was starting to think about getting on Cymbalta in conjunction with the Lyrica that I take (75 mg BID), but now I'm just a bit scared. The pain doctor did not prescribe this for me; the psychiatrist did. After a ten minute first consult. Yeah. Great medical world we have here. :twisted:

I now have the Rx sitting in my wallet, not knowing what to do w/ it.

Any suggestions?

Already on:

75 mg Lyrica BID
5 mg Valium BID
10 mg Elavil
20 mg Prozac

Thanks,

A's M
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Faith

Post by Faith »

My suggestion is no but I had a bad experience with it and you may not. Would you stay on the Prozac? Your lyrica dose isnt huge but you are also on elavil and Valium so you have a lot if central nervous system manipulation going on already. You may just have to try it to see if it works for you but it was definitely the worst reaction I have ever had on a med.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

If you try it, AM, start on a very small dose. Some of the people I know who used cymbalta successfully started with a small dose and worked up slowly. Does the psychiatrist who ordered cymbalta know you are on the other antidepressants?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Faith

Post by Faith »

The smallest dose of Cymbalta is 20mg, but most doctors start people on 30mg daily then try to increase it to 60mg in a couple weeks.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Cymbalta made my life hell for 6 months till I figured out what was causing it. I know someone else who takes it and loves it.

If you start losing your appetite and having aches in your abdomen or mid back, get off it immediately. I didn't realize it, but I lost 20 pounds in 6 months (which was nice) but felt like I had a knife in my back CONSTANTLY which was worse than my PNE pain!!! because I couldn't make it stop unless I took high high doses of Vicoden and Neurontin... but every breakthrough pain was miserable.... getting off the Cymbalta, all the stabbing pains stopped, but I was left with food allergies. No longer can I have gluten or dairy.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

pianogal wrote:getting off the Cymbalta, all the stabbing pains stopped, but I was left with food allergies. No longer can I have gluten or dairy.
:shock: Wow! This drug changed your body chemistry that much??? No food allergies prior to taking it? Is that listed as one of the side effects?
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi fellow drugies :)

As noted in my earlier post I was supposed to start with Cymbalta and Lyrica . . . They were prescribed by my pain consultant who faxed the script to my local GP last week. I went to pick the prescription up today as instructed only to find that nothing had been done about it ! !
Had to wait for a different Dr to look into it as my own GP wasn't there, he wouldn't prescribe the lyrica ! ! ! He said that gabapentin (neurontin) and lyrica were very similar and would never prescribe lyrica for anyone.
I tried to explain that my withdrawl for gabapentin had been long and arduous (2 months of flu symptoms) and I didn't want a repeat of that for the small amount of good effect the drug had on my pain.He wouldn't relent so I only have the cymbalta on it's own.
To be honest it's no bad thing because these things need to be properly monitored and I will be able to see how good, bad or indifferent cymbalta is for me.
I wonder if it is a cost issue actually, is lyrica more expensive than gabapentin I wonder, think I have heard that it is. Anyone know for sure?
Take care all

Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Helen,

In the US lyrica. is definitely a more expensive drug and does not come as a generic, which means that you must pay for the brand name and advertising costs which are passed on to the consumer. In the UK though, you can get the generic for lyrica, which is called pregabalin. The drugs are similar, but it does seem from reading this forum that lyrica works better for many people.

Do you pay the same price for any prescription in the UK? I have seen others from there stating that doctors usually prescribe the cheapest drug first, and then if it doesn't help, then they will prescribe the more expensive one. This does seem sensible as you have to consider ways to hold down expenses on the NHS
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi Jeanie,
Yes, as patients, we pay the same whatever the prescription (£7.20) So of course the knock on expense to individual GP practices and therefore the NHS has to be considered when trying to balance the books so to speak.
Actually it was pregabalin anyway not lyrica so maybe the Dr just doesn't like the drug in general ? ?
Thanks for your reply
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Hi Helen - How surprising! Pregabalin does cost more than gabapentin, I gather. So maybe their budget is a bit pushed!

By the way, lyrica and pregabalin is exactly the same thing, lyrica is just a trade name. The drug is the same thing.

And if you haven't yet got a prescription prepayment card, it is very much worth getting one if you pay for more than 4 prescriptions in 3 months, or more than 14 items over 12 months. I have saved so much money this way!

I hope you get on well with the duloxetine/cymbalta.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”