UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Discuss here about Medical Disability claims and Insurance possibilities for PN treatment options
A's Mommy

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Post by A's Mommy »

Dear Friends,

As I struggled to take my young child with me to the grocery store today in order to give my husband, who has been working round the clock and has no sleep, some time off from food shopping, I noticed this note on my dashboard when I came out of Wal Mart:

Now, I didn't know whether to scream, cry, curse, laugh, or get mad.

I think I'm just mad. I HAVE A HANDICAP PLACARD, REGISTERED IN MY NAME, BECAUSE I AM HANDICAPPED.

And I realize now, that more than ever, WE NEED TO GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT THIS HIDDEN DISEASE

We struggle to live our lives every day, in CHRONIC, HIDDEN PAIN. We may not have a crutch, a brace, or a wig to cover up lost hair from chemo treatment, but we SUFFER. On behalf of the friends here I've made at HOPE, I want to get this word out. The bulletin/brochure that the MODS put together to distribute to doctors is great. But, I think we should take it a step further. If I had a MEGAPHONE, I would SHOUT it from the mountaintops on behalf of all of us who tirelessly search for a cure, search for the right surgeon, search for the money to get to the surgeons, try to make the surgeons BELIEVE us, try to EDUCATE the physicians.... the list goes on and on.

I am a 30 year old mother with Pudendal Nerve Entrapment. One side of me has been freed, the other waits. I am handicapped. But not FOREVER

Sincerely,

A's Mommy
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Violet M

Re: UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Post by Violet M »

This is really sad, AM. There are a lot of people who just don't understand that you can be in a lot of pain even if you can walk. I agree, we need to take many more steps to get the word out about PNE and believe me, I'm working on it. I have a whole list of things I want to do but I can't do them all at once. What do you see as the most important next steps?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Wow. That's all I can say since this is not the religious section :/ I can think of a few applicable verses though, A's Mommy, and I'm sure you can too.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

A's Mommy

I can only send you calming wishes to try to leave this terrible moment behind you.
i have been in the same situation where I have been abused verbally by an elderly gentleman who shouted at me while i got out of a car in a disabled bay, with no regard for my displaying my blue badge.
In airports i have also been abused by airport staff for managing to walk to the toilet but not being able to walk to the airplane.

We need to try to find a way to let the World know that not all disabled people can sit......and that we can walk a little etc.
Any theatre or cinema allows for disabled people provided they can sit, i have been removed a few theatres because i was standing at the back of the auditoriam and therefore was causing a fire hazard rather than occupying a seat......!!!!!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

I have never heard of somebody with PNE asking their doctor for a Handicapped permit.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I had a handicap permit because I had a lot of difficulty walking before surgery. Possibly, some PNE patients have more difficulty walking than others?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Mod4

Post by Mod4 »

A'Mommy

I hope you dont mind but I think this post should be in the Disability Section of this Forum, we need to highlight this issue as it is more relevant than many people know. There are many members who have Parking permits and who face the difficulty that you encountered....because they look too young, dont look sick etc....we need to take a strong stance on this and reeducate people that disability can take on many forms even if not always visible by a deformity.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Celeste

There are many people here who hold Parking Permits because of PNE.
When i applied for mine it was on the basis that i couldnt sit for long, had to carry a bag full of cushions and couldnt carry any weights or walk too far. This was strictly validated by my GP.
I have the European version which is widely accepted throughout Europe however there are restrictions depending on where in Europe you are...for example in Ireland there are few restrictions on parking with no time limits in airports or public places whereas in other countries you need to display a timeclock and parking is restricted to 3 hours in one place. Every country has its own different regulations. in Belgium, Frnace and Spain there are no limitations to time limits.

It would be interesting to hear of the restrictions in the USA or Canada regarding the use of a parking permit.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Celeste wrote:I have never heard of somebody with PNE asking their doctor for a Handicapped permit.
Well, now you've heard it, Celeste. I applied for a handicapped permit before I had my surgery because I refused to take pain medication because I wanted to/had to take care of my then just barely 2 year old daughter. In PA, there is a box you can check for neurological/nerve damages. Box 8. My PCP signed it eagerly because he saw the agony on my face.

And now that I am 4 months out of surgery, I may not be in 10/10 pain anymore, but I am in still quite a great deal of pain and have just started venturing out on my own right now to shopping stores/etc, with my daughter and it is HARD to lift a child when one side of your body is healing/trying to heal and the other side is still entrapped.

I'm certain I'm not the only one, and I know for a fact I'm not. For as long as you've been around on the forums, you've NEVER heard of ANYONE apply for a handicapped permit?!?!

Mod4 wrote:A'Mommy

I hope you dont mind but I think this post should be in the Disability Section of this Forum, we need to highlight this issue as it is more relevant than many people know. There are many members who have Parking permits and who face the difficulty that you encountered....because they look too young, dont look sick etc....we need to take a strong stance on this and reeducate people that disability can take on many forms even if not always visible by a deformity.

Mod4,

Please feel free to move my post wherever you see fit. I am grateful for HOPE and the support I receive on this forum. It's 99% support, 1% criticism. God bless you guys.

And to the rest of you, if you can't sit, I'd say that's DISABILITY, if you can't walk without excruciating nerve pain/neuralgia, I'd say that's DISABILITY, and so on and so on. I will gladly burn my temporary disability permit when I am completely better, but I have come to the acceptance it's not going to be 6-8 weeks out from surgery like some lucky people, but possibly the full 12-18 months.

Keep strong, keep believing, and keep FIGHTING for THE CURE and THE RECOGNITION of PNE.

AM
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Violet M wrote:This is really sad, AM. There are a lot of people who just don't understand that you can be in a lot of pain even if you can walk. I agree, we need to take many more steps to get the word out about PNE and believe me, I'm working on it. I have a whole list of things I want to do but I can't do them all at once. What do you see as the most important next steps?

Violet,

I was wondering if we could work together to form a CME presentation from the PATIENT'S PERSPECTIVE. Obviously, we would have to get a doctor (one of the PNE's would be the best, hopefully) to back us up medically, but we could make video testimonials from patients, put them into the presentation, get it accredited by the ACCME, and boom --- educated general practitioners everywhere during their grand rounds, especially at teaching hospitals. If the next generation of doctors can be aware of this disease, they can look for the warning signs, get patients early and PROPER testing, and perhaps become inspired to learn the surgical techniques and evolve the surgical techniques themselves.

When I lived on the west coast, I worked for a CME accreditation agency. The lady I worked for was the former president of the ACCME.

I have talked to patients/forum members on here who are willing to give their testimonies of the struggles they have dealt with from traveling from doctor to doctor, from misdiagnosis to misdiagnosis, from draining bank accounts, to getting unnecessary hysterectomies, etc, and the list goes on.

PM me or anyone else chime in if you want to help.

A's Mommy

PS: I want to do something for this community while I am healing and waiting for my next surgery; honestly, I don't think I'll ever give up fighting even after I"m completely cured, which I will be, amen.

Return to “INSURANCE & DISABILITY ISSUES”