UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Discuss here about Medical Disability claims and Insurance possibilities for PN treatment options
Violet M

Re: UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Post by Violet M »

AM, we'll have to ask Kris about arranging a live chat. I'll send him a message.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

A mommy the note on your car reveals the prejudiced beliefs some people have about chronic pain. I agree more attention needs to be brought to this condition. Websites like this one are so important.
Emily B wrote:GraceUnderFire's comment led me to look up the Invisible Disabilities Association.

Here's their webpage that talks about the subject of judging people who use disability placards.

http://www.invisibledisabilities.org/ed ... pearances/

Emily B.
Interesting find
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Wow - great find, Charlie!
The hard part is getting that message out there to people not in the know. I feel very encouraged that there ARE sites out there like that, but who's accessing and reading them? Probably not your average, pain-free person who, after leaving a nasty-gram on your windshield goes home and says, "I was just a crum-bum to someone I thought was faking it".
Kinda sad, too, feeling compelled to print the article out and leaving it on your own windshield, because you feel as though you have to defend yourself.
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

Emily B -

THANK you for this link to the "Invisible Disabilities" website. I had no idea this existed!
http://www.invisibledisabilities.org/

Check it out my dear PNE friends. I read the page Emily sent and listened to the talk posted on the main page.
This is such an interesting issue - and one we do not see addressed very often. Yet I was thinking about how much I have had to deal with this on a daily basis, and I know many of you have had to as well.

Standing in line is one of the times when I have the most trouble. For some reason, walking at a slow pace is easier than standing in line. Less painful. Once I had a home health aide with me when I was at the bank and she walked me to the front of the line and explained to one of the floor managers that I had a disability and standing in line was very painful. I was taken care of immediately! I wish I had that young woman with me everywhere I go! But her action on my behalf has helped me "stand up" for myself where before I would have suffered.

I have a card from the ICA (Interstitial Cystitis Association) that identifies me as a person with a painful bladder disability who needs immediate access to the restroom. I have rarely used it, but in those times when I have HAD to use it, I have been so grateful for it. It looks official -- and other women have been very understanding in letting me go first in those situations.

Maybe we PNE'ers could design a professional card describing our disability and limitations for situations when we need to "show" others we need extra consideration (like moving to the front of a line, or when we cannot sit in a situation where everyone else is sitting). Just a thought ....
:?:
http://www.icandpne.wordpress.com
1995 First symptoms of PNE and IC
8/2010 Dr. Hibner, left TG- failed surgery.
3/2011 & 10/2011 - Dr. Dellon, left dorsal/perineal neurolysis -also failed.
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
Mod 7

Post by Mod 7 »

sunil wrote:I think we need to have a lot of nerve to put up with what we have to.
Agreed, Sunil.
paininmybutt

Post by paininmybutt »

I have a short leg, and although I am coming to believe my condition was peripheral to an injury, or set of injuries, I do note that when I walk it complicates my symptoms. My knowledge of it is that it facilitates a pelvic tilt when a load is placed on it. I suppose walking with a cane would help, my old physician would have helped me obtain a blue badge, and I would wear it proudly as my community has become hostile towards me, and when I say hostile, I mean: blatently defamitory, unappoligetic, and seeking to undermine whatever effort me or my wife undertake.

Celeste, you sound like a legal aid. You sound abrupt, and abrasive. You seem to have an agenda although I do not know your history. As far as this site helping people medically speaking I must say that the in the absence of medical assistence, and in light of the fact we are our advocate this site may present itself with the only access to medical help available. Most of my success has been found away from the site, without medical attention.

The note left on the car was above and beyond duty, and from my own experience I can say I have little compassion for the ignorant. I guess we all suffer some pain, ignorance has to have a really low rating.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

paininmybutt wrote: Celeste, you sound like a legal aid. You sound abrupt, and abrasive. You seem to have an agenda although I do not know your history. As far as this site helping people medically speaking I must say that the in the absence of medical assistence, and in light of the fact we are our advocate this site may present itself with the only access to medical help available. Most of my success has been found away from the site, without medical attention.
Hi paininmybutt, I answered your question in the other section about leg length discrepancy, hope it helps. I feel the need to speak up for Celeste since I don't believe she comes on this board anymore. She might have a very abrupt style but her agenda is to help people. you can read her story under "success stories". I have kept in touch with her on facebook. Very nice lady. we all have different styles and personalities but we come together for a common cause, to share information as self advocates. think to criticize somebody's personal style of written communication is unwarranted.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Well said HM.
Nice to hear about Celeste. Hope she is doing well.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
donstore

Post by donstore »

I always liked Celeste.
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
helen1000

Post by helen1000 »

I had denial from Long Term Disability Insurance because one of the doctors (I visit a bunch of them) mentioned that I do not use supportive devices.
I cannot sit because of PN. I cannot stand for a long time because lumbar discs damage. I can stay in bed and walk. I guess there must be a line of employers to hire me.
8 nerve blocks rel 6 w.Met Dr. Peters,Dr. Antolack.Dr. Peters pacemaker,Dr Antolack TG operation.Maigne s.Internal PT at Dr Peters Nothing.PFCN block rel 6 w. PFCN RFA.Nothing.SI joint RFA.Nothing.Left scar tissue removal.Good.SIJD. PT of SI joint ME, and Prolo of SI and PS.Lumbar spine facets turned left. ME. T10-12 facets too wide.T10 turned left.ME and Prolo.Labral tears in left hip, spurs.Will have operation at 09/18/13,Met with Dr Conway.EMG shows left PN problem.Good impression of Dr C.

Return to “INSURANCE & DISABILITY ISSUES”