Where is the ENTRANCE to Alcock's Canal?

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
A's Mommy

Where is the ENTRANCE to Alcock's Canal?

Post by A's Mommy »

My husband and I have been over and over this.... and can't come to a conclusive answer. Where is the ENTRANCE to the Alcock's Canal? Say you are starting at the nerve Roots, S2-S4 and travel down through the piriformis, etc, and then enter the obturator fascia, would THIS be the entrance... or would the "entrance" be from the opposite side.... after the nerve branches off into the smaller branches? Beco's diagram confuses me. I know everyone's "branches" are in different places, but this question still puzzles me and should be an easy one to answer. I was wondering if anyone could give insight.

TY,

AM
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
ezer

Re: Where is the ENTRANCE to Alcock's Canal?

Post by ezer »

Here is Beco's drawing. I thought the entrance is right above number 3:
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Pelvis Stressly

Post by Pelvis Stressly »

Personally, I like the illustration I've attached (I refer to it often...you can find it in the anatomy section of this site). The Alcock's Canal is the transparent 'sheath' looking thing that they have labelled as the 'pudendal canal'.

Here are my PT's comments on the question of variations in anatomy re. the course of the pud. nerve (particularly w. regards to where branching happens)...

"Okay, there are three proposed courses of the pudendal nerve. controversy exists in what the "normal" course is, and there are anatomical variations. The main variation is where does the dorsal brach and inferior rectal branch come off>

Course One: All three brances split off in the perineum after Alcock's Canal.

Course Two: Dorsal branch splits off before Alcock's canal and the other two after.

Course Three: The Rectal branch splits off before Alcock's canal [*as shown in the illustration I've attached] and the other two after.

Jury is out. I have not read anything definite and conclusive."

Hope that helps,
PS.
Attachments
AC1357_02B.jpg
AC1357_02B.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Thank you PS!!! I have looked at these pics numerous times.

PS: What's your next line of action?
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
drds89

Post by drds89 »

My impression is what ezer says just above 3 on Beco's drawing and on the image in the next post, the 'entrance' would be at the clear looking sheath structure right after the inferior rectal branch takes off--then you're 'entering' Alcock's canal.
Fell skating 2008. Abnormal PNMLT R perineal branch 12/08. Pudendal block +relief for several hours. Complete recovery, off medications, using cushion after 9 months; re-injured late 2009 doing yardwork. Major flare after injections 2&3 Feb. 2010. No sitting/hyperprotecting since 2/2010 to present. Symptoms gradually better, but not like the first time; still with pain up to 5, but 1-3 most common and 0 while recumbent.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Please excuse my ignorance, but are there two Alcock's canals, one on each side of the body? Or are the nerves joined as one at that point?
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Hi Lernica,

Yes, there are 2 alcock's canals, one in each buttock
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
Pelvis Stressly

Post by Pelvis Stressly »

A's Mommy wrote:PS: What's your next line of action?
Not sure yet, to be honest. Was all set to head down to see Dellon, but I went to see one last urologist here first (who specializes in ED). He re-did my Doppler test (which measures blood flow in the penis), and the results were totally normal. He also said the test rules out any sort of neurogenic component! His reasoning for that was, even after he administered the intracavernous injection (medication which induces an erection, for the sake of the test), I failed to achieve a full erection. He said if my problem was neurogenic, I would have achieved one (as the medication bypasses the neurotransmitters).

He said, by order of elimination, it has to therefore be one of two things...either a venous leak (where blood is flowing healthily into the penis, but then, due to a leak, isn't being held there properly), or it's due to stress/anxiety (causing the muscles to tense, thus preventing the blood from properly dispersing into a full erection...a la "A Headache in the Pelvis"). He believes it's the latter and wants me to explore that area more. I'm skeptical, mainly because I feel like I've already gone down that road (shrinks, yoga, meditation, physio, etc.), but will give it a shot.

What I'm really trying to confirm at the moment is his claim that the intracavernous injection (& the fact that I didn't get a full erection from it) offers indisputable proof that there isn't any neuropathy involved. And if so, why no one told me that sooner (I've had similar injections, w. identical results, numerous times over the last few years)!!!!

How are things w. you? Post-surgery zaps starting to go down at all yet?

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”