Nurse PN sufferers

Here is a place for social chats with special attention to support and non medical discussions. We need a place to chill out, where we can distract from our pain and enjoy lighter moments, share a joke or funny moment with others.
smitzel

Re: Nurse PN sufferers

Post by smitzel »

Hi, Nurses, I am currently a dental hygienist w/ 19 years experience and we do a lot of bending and twisting. I am thinking of going back to school for nursing because I thought this would be better for my back. I realize that lifting is not an option and would like to work in a different area, maybe public health or as a school nurse. Any input on this? i'm not even sure if I can go through the training with my pain but I love health care and thought the medical benefits would be nice as we don't get anything with dental hygiene. Are there many opertunities in nursing to do that don't involve lifting? and can I somehow bypass this while in training? Thanks for your reply.

Stephanie
Suffering for 11 years after running marathons and weight lifting. Diagnosed with PN by Dr. Antolak in 2006 and Dr. Weiss in 2010. Taking Cymbalta, Gabapentin and Baclofin. Just made an appointment to see Dr. Hibner for MRI and consultation for surgery, can't get me in until Dec.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Stephanie,

I have an Associates' in Nursing and just as a heads - up, school nursing and many public health nursing jobs require a Bachelors' in Nursing, so if that is your goal you would be committing to a longer course of schooling. At least this has been true everywhere I have lived but I am not sure if there is any variation by State.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

School nursing would not require much lifting although might require some if you work at a school that has special needs kids -- but HM is right, it requires a BS degree. Public health might require a lot of twisting too if you are giving immunizations to infants. Unfortunately, I think it would be difficult to avoid lifting during your training. Do you have any interest in teaching?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

smitzel wrote:Hi, Nurses, I am currently a dental hygienist w/ 19 years experience and we do a lot of bending and twisting. I am thinking of going back to school for nursing because I thought this would be better for my back. I realize that lifting is not an option and would like to work in a different area, maybe public health or as a school nurse. Any input on this? i'm not even sure if I can go through the training with my pain but I love health care and thought the medical benefits would be nice as we don't get anything with dental hygiene. Are there many opertunities in nursing to do that don't involve lifting? and can I somehow bypass this while in training? Thanks for your reply.

Stephanie
My sister did a midlife makeover into nursing. The first required clinical rotation experience is working in a nursing home, bending and lifting to clean up old people. Several other areas will result in needing to help patients up or down. If you could somehow make it through that, you would have non-lifting options. Neonatal ICU would be one; those patients only weigh less than 5 lbs. You could go on to become a nurse practitioner or a nurse anesthetist, or even a nurse trainer. A school nurse would be paid from a school budget and if it's public school, it means you're a state worker and get whatever benefits all state workers get. Schools are finding it hard to afford nurses and either offer part time or you have to share between schools. Definitely look into the situation in your area. Some nurses work in a doctor's office; I haven't seen where that involves lifting but you never know.

Anyway, good luck with it. I know it's never easy to contemplate a new field, but when you're in pain it's even more daunting.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

To the nurses or other health professionals,
I recently joined IPPS, the International Pelvic Pain Society. I have been helping them out with promoting their October Annual Conference on Chronic Pelvic Pain, so I thought I should join. Today I got their welcome packet and their membership directory is depressingly thin to be honest. I mean, probably a few hundred people but not what we as pelvic pain patients would wish it to be. Just letting you know, if you want to join, you may do so as a health care professional. It is $125 for non-physician health care practitioners, and more for physicians. You can opt out of being on their online search, so that patients looking for practitioners do not mistake you for someone who is practicing in the pelvic pain field. It would be nice to see that list grow and the IPPS influence increase!
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Another nurse here!
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Welcome to the club Cari.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Wish we could all meet for a glass of wine:)
No meds work for me
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

carolynm wrote:Wish we could all meet for a glass of wine:)
LOL with the pills most of us are on, I'm sure adding a glass of wine to the mix would make it an interesting meeting.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Yes, we would probably end up knowing the most intimate details of each other's lives (I guess we already do!!!)

xx
cari
No meds work for me

Return to “SOCIAL DISCUSSIONS & FUN”