Dorsal nerve

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Karyn

Re: Dorsal nerve

Post by Karyn »

Hi Ali,
I'm so very happy to hear your urinary issues are better! It must seem strange (and exciting) to be able to pee normally again! Are your stitches dissolvable, or do you have to have them removed? Are you experiencing any numbness in the perineal area?
Warmest regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
RJR

Post by RJR »

Hello Ali,
I am happy you have improvement this early - that sounds promising. Did I understand you correctly that Dr A. decompresses the perienal and dorsal nerve? What is the extent of what he can decompress...ie does it pick up along the 3 branches at points where TG surgury ends?
Best on your recovery,
RR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
Mulan

Post by Mulan »

Hello RJR,
What are the three branches? dorsal, perineal, and what else?
Symptom started 10/2010,sitting pain started 02/20/11. 1st injection 3/25/11. PT started 03/29/11. 2nd injection august,2011
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi RJR,
The two branches i.e dorsal and perinial nerves branch out of the Alcock's Canal.He did decompress the dorsal nerve around the region of the Pubic symphysis where it usually gets entrapped.The perenial nerve is much smaller than the dorsal nerve and usually goes to our testicles.

The third branch which is the rectal banch is mostly in the Alcock's Canal but 10% of the time it branches off before it enters the Alcock's Canal.The rectal branch is usually addressed by all PNE surgeons,but the inferior rectal branch isn't.

Dr. Aszmann does decompress the dorsal and perinial nerve but not the rectal branch,because he doesn't do the traditional TIR or TG approach.

To answer your question correctly,please refer to the following text.

The pudendal nerve arises from the sacral
plexus. Subsequently, it passes around the ischial
spine and reenters the pelvic cavity through the
lesser sciatic foramen. It then courses under the
levator ani muscle on top of the obturator internus
muscle. Along its course in the ischiorectal fossa,
the nerve gives off small inferior rectal branches
and one or two perineal branches. It then pierces
the superior urogenital fascia to penetrate the urogenital
diaphragm (Fig. 1). Up to that point, the
nerve was protected by the bones of the pelvis;
however, it then enters the dorsum of the penis in
a distinct canal built by the bone of the pubic symphysis
dorsocranially (Fig. 2). The lateral border is
defined by the inferior pubic ramus and a strong
ligamentous portion of the suspensory ligament.
Inferomedially, the canal is formed by the ischiocavernous
body and the tunica albuginea (Figs. 3
and 4). This osteofibrous canal is about 3 cm long
and was found in 100% of our specimens. It begins
right where the dorsal nerve of the penis, having
pierced the inferior urogenital fascia, approaches
the pubic symphysis and ends where the pars fixa
extends into the pars pendula of the penis. In two
specimens, pseudoneuromas were found

Take care,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Karyn,
The stiches are dissolvable.There is no numbness at all in the perinium area,but just tightness because of the stiches and today I experienced a few mild zaps for a a minute or two.It is great to urinate normally once again.it's a great feeling.I was so embrassed before because my 70 year old dad had a much stronger Urinary stream than me. :x

However,the burning penile pain and Urinary burning is still there which is making me anxious because tha was the primary reason for thi surgery.
Warmest of Regards,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Mulan,
Te third branch is the rectal branch.

Kind Regards,
Ali
ezer

Post by ezer »

This drawing from Dr.Antolak shows well the 3 branches of the pudendal nerve:
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
spirit42

Post by spirit42 »

Dear Ali Pasha,

This is so wonderful that you have proof now that Dr. Potter's MRI was correct, and that Dr. Aszmann could decompress your dorsal nerve. This is a great breakthrough for all PN sufferers. I can only congratulate you and hope that Dr. Hibner will start the dorsal and perineal nerve decompression also, that those of us who cannot afford Dr. Dellon have a chance to get relief.

I am looking forward to your continued progress and report about it. May your recovery be speedy and full!

spirit42
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hey Ali, you don't waste any time do you. :) Wishing you the best with your recovery and thanks for reporting back.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Dear Violet,
I need to get well and help other patients out for the sake of humanity.This is a war that we cannot loose and we won't loose.Unfortunately, I have lost my career, money,precious time and the prime of my life fighting this condition. :cry:

On another note,I wanted to share with the forum,that my Penile Suspensory ligament was also repaired and tightened.It was incredibly loose and Dr. Aszmaan was quite surprised to see it in uch poor faashion.

But I am quite pleased and hopeful with the results so far from Dr. Oskar Aszmaan.He is quite a jovial,full of humor and humane doctor.

Kind Regards,
Ali

Return to “SURGERY”