Does the block numb the pain caused by PN branches ?

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Mulan

Does the block numb the pain caused by PN branches ?

Post by Mulan »

Hello All,
Does anyone know if the block medicine goes to the brunches of PN as well ? Many thanks, M.
Symptom started 10/2010,sitting pain started 02/20/11. 1st injection 3/25/11. PT started 03/29/11. 2nd injection august,2011
Violet M

Re: Does the block numb the pain caused by PN branches ?

Post by Violet M »

It should if the medication goes to the right place. Theoretically it should block everything distal to the area blocked.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Mulan

Post by Mulan »

Thanks, Violet. When I had 1st injection,I don't think it numbed my pain (it is internal) completely, I felt the delayed pain. However, over 1 week after the injection, my symptom got impoved. So I am very confused. I am wondering if it is related to the amount of numbness medicine used. Sorry if I am asking stupid question. Thanks, M
Symptom started 10/2010,sitting pain started 02/20/11. 1st injection 3/25/11. PT started 03/29/11. 2nd injection august,2011
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Mulan, it might be related to the amount of numbing agent used -- some of the PN docs use more than others. From what I've heard, some try to "flood" the area with medication while others try to target the nerve as closely as possible. Not sure why you wouldn't have any immediate pain relief for several hours but then have relief later.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Mulan,

Your symtoms may have improved one week later because if steroids were used that is when they would have kicked in. It usually takes 7-10 days for steroids to take effect. I had one PN block that only numbed up to the back half of my vagina, but I had another one where I was numb all the way up to the clitoris. So as Violet said theorectically it should numb everything distal to the injection, but it depends on how close the Dr. gets to the PN.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Faith, I know the steroid kicks in several days later but since it went to the same target as the numbing agent why didn't the numbing agent have any effect on the nerve too? Anyone have a plausible explanation for that? I don't know -- maybe the steroid diffused more over time and ended up where it needed to be?
Faith

Post by Faith »

Or could it mean that the main source of pain is muscles and once the steroid kicked in the muscles stopped spasming and decreased her pain? Just thinking.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Mulan

Post by Mulan »

Hi Faith,
You had two injections but different outcomes, how come ? Did you go to the same doctor ? same amount of numbing agents were used? If the source of pain is from muscle ? (the pain is internal and like tooth ache pain) How to address it ? can it be cured ? It is so frustrating. I have been on the board for a month but haven't found anyone who has the exact same problem as I have.
Best regards,
M
Mulan

Post by Mulan »

Hi Faith,
You had two injections but different outcomes, how come ? Did you go to the same doctor ? same amount of numbing agents were used? If the source of pain is from muscle ? (the pain is internal and like tooth ache pain) How to address it ? can it be cured ? It is so frustrating. I have been on the board for a month but haven't found anyone who has the exact same problem as I have.
Best regards,
M
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Mulan wrote: I have been on the board for a month but haven't found anyone who has the exact same problem as I have.
Mulan,

What are your symptoms?
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”