Newbie--Pudendal Nerve Entrapment at Obturator Internus

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
frickla

Newbie--Pudendal Nerve Entrapment at Obturator Internus

Post by frickla »

Hello! First time posting. I wanted to know if anyone has been diagnosed with pudendal nerve entrapment at the obturator internus muscle? I had 3T MRI by Dr. Potter HSS and by Dr. Carrino JH. The pudendal nerve had inflammation at obturator internus. I have not heard of anyone mentioning this area of entrapment before. I have not been successful in locating information in my research. I also had a 1.5T with Dr. Filler, his impression was piriformis syndrome, but the nerve block was negative. I had a pudendal nerve block at the OI and it was positive. I have all the symptoms of PN for 6 years.
drds89

Re: Newbie--Pudendal Nerve Entrapment at Obturator Internus

Post by drds89 »

Welcome!

Are you able to post the report for us?

My understanding is that the medial fascia of the obturator internus m. is what forms "Alcock's canal", also termed "Pudendal canal" or "Obturator canal". The nerve can get injured, entrapped, whacked, etc at many different locations along its serpentine course, and Alcock's canal is one of the biggies. It's just amazing to me that so few who sit on a traditional bicycle seat (that hard, narrow kind) get any symptoms at all.

All of us are made a little different, and different variations of branching of the nerve and locations/courses it takes/ reasons it gets 'sick' or 'hurt', make this crazy condition so challenging to pinpoint the exact problem, and thus, the best therapeutic option can be offered.

I asked to have my 3T MRI done with contrast to identify if inflammation were present, but Dr Potter and the neuroradiologist she collaborated with for my scan, said she did not need contrast (so it would not provide info on inflammation, just compression or entrapment or scar tissue).

Hope this helps. Someone else may be able to link up the places where the anatomical drawings/pictures are to confirm.
Fell skating 2008. Abnormal PNMLT R perineal branch 12/08. Pudendal block +relief for several hours. Complete recovery, off medications, using cushion after 9 months; re-injured late 2009 doing yardwork. Major flare after injections 2&3 Feb. 2010. No sitting/hyperprotecting since 2/2010 to present. Symptoms gradually better, but not like the first time; still with pain up to 5, but 1-3 most common and 0 while recumbent.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Welcome, Frickla. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly are the symptoms of PNE at the obturator muscle? Does it hurt to walk?

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Frickla, I had entrapment at the OI muscle. The nerve runs between that muscle and the levator ani in the alcock's canal. Some of the PN docs cut away a small part of that muscle to enlarge the alcock's canal if they think the muscle is impinging on the PN.

I used to get severe burning on the upper/inner thighs before PN surgery and I'm quite certain it was due to the OI muscle being in spasm from the pain of PNE.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
catherine a

Post by catherine a »

Dr. Bautrant recently told me that nerve pain on the inside of thigh would indicate compression or entrapmet at the OI.
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.
frickla

Post by frickla »

Hello, sorry I have not gotten back to this thread earlier. The pain is mostly centered under the buttock extends to the hip, inside and back of the thigh, pubic bone area, tailbone and it hurts to sit. Pain is reduced with laying down, increased by sitting and everyday activities. Affects bladder and rectum. Hurts more going up hills/climbing. Do you think Dr. H in AZ could address this? My understanding is that he performs PNE surgery at the ligaments, but this is not where my issue is. This area was ruled out by Dr. P in NYC. I was diagnosed by Dr. M in OKC. What to do next???
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Frickla, there has been some discussion as to whether Dr. Potter's MRI can rule out PNE with 100% accuracy. You may want to get an opinion based on an exam too if you haven't already, before coming to any definite conclusions on what treatment options to pursue.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
frickla

Post by frickla »

I have pain on the inside of the thigh. It extends to the knee. Of the French doctors which ones have the most success in the area of the OI muscle? I did have second opinion and positive nerve block. Any information on doctor M. C. working with M.H. as a route to resolution?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I'm assuming by Dr. M. C. you are referring to Dr. Conway? He decided to use the procedure Dr. Antolak uses.

I don't know which French doctor has the best success with the OI muscle. I think Prof. Robert is probably the most experienced and can decompress the OI nerve if necessary,
Mulan

Post by Mulan »

Hi Frickla,
Sorry to hear that entrapment in the OI muscle causes so many symptoms. I dont know any of French doctors. Have you thought about Dr. Dellon in U.S?
I think he should be able to help you.
Best, M
Symptom started 10/2010,sitting pain started 02/20/11. 1st injection 3/25/11. PT started 03/29/11. 2nd injection august,2011

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”