News on PNE Surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
spirit42

News on PNE Surgery

Post by spirit42 »

Hello to you All!

I have received permission from Dr. Hibner to post his advancement in techniques to receive deeper and better view and to be able to address deeper seated nerve compressions.

Quote from Dr. Hibner's email:

"To answer your question about seeing the Alckck's canal (an please feel free to share it). We have recently started doing two things. One thing that we do is we cut the sacrotuberous ligament at the slightly different angle. It significantly helps with exposure and with repair later. We also use different kind of retractors. Third. Hang is that we use a dental mirror under a microscope and this provides very good view at the angle which is necessary to see all the way to the bottom. Fourth we sometimes use Fogarty catheter which is routinely used on venous thrombosis. It is a thin semi-rigid catheter with balloon at the end. In cases we cannot see distal Alcock's well we advance it into the canal and inflate the balloon. This distends Alcock's canal very nicely. I hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. I very strongly believe that repeat surgery is a valid option. I have reoperated on many patients. Two of my own and many patients from Ansell, Filler, Bautrand and Robert. Many of those patients are doing well after the re-do surgery. I am a great believer in redo procedures."

I am glad to know that constant progress is being made to get better results from this crazy condition. Dr. Hibner is aalways trying to improve, learn, and help more effectively.

spirit42
AliPasha1

Re: News on PNE Surgery

Post by AliPasha1 »

Dear Spirit42(Nice name) by the way :D ,

Could you ask these questions from Dr. Hibner?

If the nerve is encased in the distal Alcock's Canal which wasn't possible to address in the traditional TG approach by Robert,
how does the baloon procedure going to address it.

Secondly,how does he plan to address the distal part of the Alcock's Canal leading to the Perineal branch of the Pudendal Nerve.

He already knows how to decompress the dorsal nerve of the Penis Clitoris.

Kind Regards,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
spirit42

Post by spirit42 »

Hi Ali,

hopefully I can post the answers here soon.

Regards,
spirit42
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

It's wonderful how Dr. Hibner is always looking for ways to improve the PN decompression surgery. Thank you so much for sharing this info. And when you get the chance, please thank Dr. Hibner too.

Emily B.
PN-SufferVT

Post by PN-SufferVT »

Thanks for posting!
PN started in June 2009, quickly pain level went to 10. PN probably caused from long hours sitting in car, followed by weightlifting/sports daily. My pain level are now daily between 1 and 4. I do not know if I have true entrapment, but definitely know I have neuralgia of the PN.
Alex.g

Post by Alex.g »

For me it rises two questions :

- it appears that Dr Hibner is using the technique from Dr De Bisschop for the redo surgery. Does he have significant result ?
- Why do he have to make redo surgeries from Bautrant, Robert and co ? Does this means that these doctors are operating from the wrong angle ?

I'm quite worried about the quality of surgeries here in France...
Alex.g

Post by Alex.g »

One more question : is it possible to have Dr Hibner mail or it is reserved for his patients ?
nyt

Post by nyt »

Spirit42, I had forgotten about your post until I reread it this morning. He did all the modifications that you mentioned on my surgery this week, the new cut, the dental mirror and the catheter to inflate inside Alcock's canal.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner

Return to “SURGERY”