On Q Pain Pump

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
profe9

On Q Pain Pump

Post by profe9 »

I wanted to let people know more about my experience with the On Q Pain Pump, which I had inserted in late January by Dr. Goldstein who is affiliated with Dr. Hibner in Phoenix. The process was very efficient and streamlined. I was in and out of the hospital in just a few hours. I would like to report that I got relief almost immediately and then even more so over the following first few days. I had the pain pump in for almost 14 days and I would say that I got quite a bit of relief for a couple of months. The positive effects have worn off, but I am still grateful for the time that I had with little to no pain. If you are considering the procedure and have a tendency toward infection, I would recommend having antibiotics on hand so that you can ward off an infection, allow the pain pump to be in for a longer period of time and have possibly even better results. Dr. Goldstein was personable and I would say quite skilled at his work. In summary, although this wasn't a "cure" for me, it might be worth your time and effort even though it may turn out to be more diagnostic than curative. I hope this finds all of you well to the extent that we can be with Pudendal Nerve problems. Feel free to ask questions!
jessyw417

Re: On Q Pain Pump

Post by jessyw417 »

I had one done in November and the relief was great while it was in. As soon as the meds ran out the pain came back instantly. I only had it for 3-4 days. Dr Marvel in Baltimore ordered it, and Dr Richard (at University of Md) did the procedure.

I wasn't aloud to drive while it was in just in case it shifted and numbed my legs.

I actually just got the bill in the mail, $900. My insurance paid it, not me.
nyt

Post by nyt »

It is good to know that there is someone on the east coast that can also insert the On-Q pain pump on the pudendal nerve.

I had one on the obturator nerves after my surgery in September and it was wonderful! Could live with one in.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Yes, I will have to say the ON Q pain pump rocked for nerve pain post-operatively!!!! It did numb my whole buttcheek though. However, at the time, that was the least of my concerns. The fact that I was not feeling my nerve pain was just bliss compared to that. I did find that I would not get the same relief when lying down (and this was a conundrum, because you know us pudendal people feel "best" when lying down) and I contacted Hibner's office and Lisa told me that position of the catheter could have shifted slightly and the Marcaine dripped another way when I was lying down. So, you should have seen me after my surgery --- I was always on my feet!!! Bathing that poor nerve in Marcaine bliss!

A's Mommy :lol:
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

wow, I'm so happy it worked for you! They couldn't get it in me due to prior existing scar tissue... but it is great to hear for you a great success story... and praying more is to come.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

hi
This pain pump sounds great! Is it used for sit bone or perieneal pain, so that one can sit again?
does anyone know of someone in the NY -NJ area who does this..
Could you pls email me if so, at kmcgeed@optonline.net as I have trouble findiing answers to my posts
Thx so much
Kath
Grammy

Post by Grammy »

How is this pump different than an intrathecal pump that is often implanted for back failure surgery. For those of you who have had it PLEASE tell us if it caused the entire vaginal area to feel numb the same as when you go to the dentist, or did you just feel normal. I also want to throw out a question that has been on my mind. Suppose you were to find a stim or an implanted pain pump that worked for you so that you could forget the condtion all together and you started to live a more "normal" life is it possible to cause the entrapment to get continously worse. For instance suppose you took up gardening again would you be making yourself worse and not realize it. Please answer if you know. Grammy
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Everyone

Im replying to an old post here.
Grammy posted a question which I wonder about as well.
Im pursuing theintrathecal pain pump currently (too early dose wise... to report any changes yet)

But as Grammy said lets say one feels "good' due to relief from the pump meds... and goes about their daily business, allowing them to sit when needed etc.

As long as they don't overdue things Would one be damageing
the pudendal nerve further by doing these regular actvities? Not sure if anyone knows about this?

Also the On Q pump that was discussed in this thread, what the difference between that and the intrathecal pump?
The latter can also use bupivicane if needed .
thanks
Kathy
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

My understanding is that the on Q pain pump has a catheter that is inserted next to the peripheral pudendal nerve to bathe the nerve in anesthetic medication. The intrathecal pump has a cathether that is inserted into the intrathecal space in the spine. Here is a link to a description of it: http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-PUMP.htm#.Uk-GCdK2aRk

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi All
That sounds similar to the intrathecal pump, but is it placed closer to the PN or more geared to help it? Is it just a temporary pump for post surgical use?
All that was recommended to me was the above.
Thx in advance if anyone can explain the diference between the two.
Kathy

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”