Medication suggestions for breakthrough nerve pain

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Lernica

Medication suggestions for breakthrough nerve pain

Post by Lernica »

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for breakthrough nerve pain. I have recently increased my daily gabapentin dose but am at kind of a loss as to what to take for incapacitating breakthrough pain. So far I have managed to avoid opiates since I am really afraid of constipation which significantly increases my PN pain.

I have just spent two days trapped in the house, icing and taking sitz baths around the clock, after sitting down for a 1.5 hour hair appointment a couple of days ago. (Vanity, you are my mistress!) Needless to say, Extra Strength Tylenol doesn't cut it! I've also been experimenting with Tylenol 3s and clonazapam (Klonipin) but would welcome other suggestions. I will be seeing my pain doctor next week and will be discussing my options with him.

Thanks very much.

P.S. I vow to never again sit in a hairdresser's chair!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Faith

Re: Medication suggestions for breakthrough nerve pain

Post by Faith »

I occasionally use very small doses of Ativan or tramadol but arivan is similar to klonopin. You just have to watch CNS depression with all these drugs. So sorry about the flare. I hope you find something to help.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
donstore

Post by donstore »

Lernica,
I have found opiates (hydrocodone and oxycodone) to be effective for me and as long as I take colace and eat LOTS of fiber (broccolli, asparagus, spring mix) constipation has not been a problem. Hope you find relief.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
missyrg

Post by missyrg »

I take Nucynta which helps quickly. It is narcotic for nreves. I do not have constipation but not sure why. I am so sorry you feel bad. I get flares but the meds help. I also take valium. Missy
calluna

Post by calluna »

Have you tried tramadol, Lernica? It takes the pain down a notch, it doesn't make it go away. I prefer the slow release version, better at evening things out I think. It is not an opiate, and most people don't get constipation with it. Also, I find that it suppresses hyperarousal symptoms.

Alternatively I would think that tapentadol would be worth a try - again, not an opiate, it is like second-generation tramadol but with increased effect on neuropathic pain. If the surgeon can't help me, then I shall be wanting to try this stuff.
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Sorry about the flare, Lernica. Tylenol 3 is fairly weak as far as narcotics go, it contains 30mg of codeine with a regular strength tylenol. Personally, I find it more constipating and less effective than oxycodone (percocet) 10mg. I am trying Opana right now which is oxymorphone, also 10mg. It might be slightly more effective than oxycodone for me, but not much. I take oxycodone 10mg with .05mg of clonazepam to potentiate the pain relief effect as well as to help anxiety caused by pain. I take a stool softener every night too. I have not tried the ER kind of narcotics, as my pain management doctor thinks those would help me even less. None of these take the pain away, they just make you feel slightly better.

Fentanyl patches seem to help some people on this board but I have not tried this, I think it is the strongest option.

It's good that neurontin seems to work for you at least somewhat, but it would be good to have a better narcotic than tylenol 3 on hand for flares. The only thing you can do is give them a try and see how they work for you.
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Lernica, if plain tylenol doesn't help but tylenol #3 does basically that tells you tylenol isn't doing anything for you -- it's the opioid that is. It's my understanding that Tylenol is hard on your liver -- more so than opioids (used as prescribed) would be. There are lots of ways to prevent constipation so maybe it would make sense to go with the opioids that actually do something for you.

I'm with you though -- I think ice is one of the best things out there except that it doesn't allow you the freedom to do the things you want. I'm sorry you are paying so dearly just for having your hair done. :(
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Thanks everyone for your very good suggestions. I guess I will bite the bullet and try some opioids because I don't know how much longer my body (and my brain) can take this pain. At times I feel as though all the nerves in my body are fired up and tingling and sensitive to the touch, just because of that damn burning pudendal nerve. And my hips and back and lower tummy and perineum are also all on fire. I feel like I did some permanent damage to the nerve by sitting on it for too long. Do you think I did? I wonder if the hair appointment was the straw that broke the rhetoric pudendal nerve's back and gummed it permanently to the surrounding tissue. I have had no relief from the pain for the last four days, even though I left the house only once (today) to do some errands. Uggghhh. One step forward and two steps back . . .

I see my pain doctor on May 6 which is not soon enough!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

Oh Lernica, I'm so sorry you are still in such pain. I'm afraid the only thing that seems to help me is ice, ice and more ice and laying down. Crappy way to live but until we find what works (and each of us seems to be different) hyper avoidance of the triggers is best.
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”