Dr Dellon's Opinion on STL During Surgery

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
Pelvis Stressly

Re: Dr Dellon's Opinion on STL During Surgery

Post by Pelvis Stressly »

AliPasha1 wrote:T o reply to your question,the answer is pertaing to PN Entrapment.80% improvement or nothing else
Ok, so we've established we're talking about 'traditional' PN entrapment here. You said in that category he's unwilling to settle for anything less than 80% success rates, and is actually currently achieving better than that, at 90%. But it's also been said repeatedly in this thread that Dellon is new to traditional PN entrapment surgeries. So my question is, what are those figures based on? Just a handful of surgeries? Because I think the percentages are impressive, but if they actually translate to just 9 successes out of 10 surgeries so far, it's obviously a bit misleading. And how is he measuring these successes? Clearly it would require months of post-op follow-up w. the patients, but how is that possible if he's just started doing these procedures?
AliPasha1 wrote:The PSSD is for Periperial nerves and not PN because the PN is very deep in the Pelvis.
The pudendal nerve is actually a peripheral nerve..."The pudendal nerve is the only peripheral nerve that has both somatic and autonomic fibers." (from this site... http://www.beyondbasicsphysicaltherapy. ... erve.shtml )

And although the pudendal nerve is relatively deep anatomically in spots along its course, that doesn't mean tests that measure sensation don't apply to it. Because these tests (including the PSSD) aren't directly testing the nerve itself, but areas the nerve innervates (which can be as shallow as the level of the epidermis). The idea being, if there's evidence of pain or loss of sensation at spots on the skin that the nerve innervates, that can indicate there's an issue w. the nerve down below. That's how Antolak uses his WDT test to diagnose PNE, and I don't see any reason why Dellon wouldn't be able to use his PSSD test for the same purpose (the former tests the patient's ability to detect warmth on the skin, and the latter tests the ability to detect pressure there, but the principle is exactly the same...they're both testing for sensation, as the pudendal nerve is partially a sensory nerve).

On another note, I think you mean to say, "I can't agree more" rather than "I can't agree less", as the latter implies you don't agree w. the person at all (I think the confusion w. donstore earlier in the thread was caused by the same mix-up).

Take care, PS.
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

Thanks Pelvis for your post.
As you pointed out, the pudendal nerve IS a peripheral nerve. Peripheral nerves are any nerves in the body other than the brain or spinal nerves, which do not regenerate. That's why an injury to the neck or spinal column can cause paralysis.

Peripheral nerves, however, do regenerate, even those located deep in the pelvis like the pudendal nerve. As I recall, they can grow up to an inch per month! I learned this from Dr. Dellon's book, Pain Solutions, which is available on his website for free. It's very interesting and explains all about peripheral nerves and the problems that occur with them.

When there has been injury, they can grow in painful ways, like neuromas, which look like ugly tree trunks, where the nerve has started growing offshoots. There is a great illustration which helped me understand what may have happened in my case.

Here is the link. Just open Volume 1, "Why Nerves Cause Pain" and it is a quick lesson in peripheral nerves:
http://www.dellon.com/content/view/116/306/
http://www.icandpne.wordpress.com
1995 First symptoms of PNE and IC
8/2010 Dr. Hibner, left TG- failed surgery.
3/2011 & 10/2011 - Dr. Dellon, left dorsal/perineal neurolysis -also failed.
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
Mulan

Post by Mulan »

Hi LottaNerve,
Was Dr. Dellon able to identify the source of your pain? Hopefully it went away by itself.
Symptom started 10/2010,sitting pain started 02/20/11. 1st injection 3/25/11. PT started 03/29/11. 2nd injection august,2011
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

GraceUnderFire wrote:
I have no desire to participate in debates. I don't have the energy for it. The last 2 weeks have been hell on earth with no lessening in site. . . . Quite honestly, I have no clue what the hell to do at this point. I certainly do not have the money for this surgery unless my insurance company comes through. I lost my career, my home, couldn't help my last son through college, etc,etc. Dr. Dellon is proposing to do my ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric and genitofemorals for the first surgery. I wish the pudendal and dorsal were my only problems. I haven't met anyone else that has even given me an option for these other nerves, but I haven't. We didn't even go through the way he handles his pudendal surgery. So in the meantime, at least for my other nerves, the search continues unless I am lucky enough not to wake up tomorrow.
Dear Grace,

I'm truly sorry to hear about your pain. You've been through so much. We're all here for you, girl, hang in there!

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

Dear Grace,

I am with Lernica and Charlie in expressing my sorrow for your suffering. I agree with you about getting in debates, and have no desire, energy or heart for it either.

We need to all pull together in our common suffering. The only thing I want to share with my fellow PNE'ers is kindness and compassion.

I did have surgery with Dr. Dellon on March 30, 2011, and am going to post a one-month report. I don't know if my experience will be helpful to you or anyone else who is considering their next step with this devastating condition, but it is the one thing I can offer.

Sharon
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

Mulan wrote:Hi LottaNerve,
Was Dr. Dellon able to identify the source of your pain? Hopefully it went away by itself.
Hi Mulan,
Sorry for not responding sooner. I will be posting my one-month report, which will answer any questions for those interested in my experience with Dr. Dellon. I can give a short answer here, which is yes, he identified the main source of my pain and performed a custom surgery to address it. I have been in pain for 15 years so even though he removed the original "thorn in my side", there has been a cascade of other problems through the years because I have had PNE so long, plus I had TG surgery last year, and have separate pain issues from that.

Sharon

p.s. If anyone has any other questions, please wait until I post my Case Update on a separate thread. I will be releasing the "long-form" report as soon I finish writing it (LOL) which should answer any other questions on my experience.
Now I will return this thread to its original programming. :D
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
Mulan

Post by Mulan »

Dear Sharon,
Thank you for your responding. I am so sorry to learn that you have suffered this pain for 15 years but glad that you have taken the actions. Yah, it may take a little bit of time to see the improvement since you had it for so long, but I believe you will get the relief from PN and you deserve it. I wish you all the BEST with your recovery! M
Symptom started 10/2010,sitting pain started 02/20/11. 1st injection 3/25/11. PT started 03/29/11. 2nd injection august,2011
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Griff,

When is your surgery with Dr. Dellon? Your signature says "mid-May". I wish you the very best for a smooth and full recovery.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

My surgery will be Monday, May 16th. Thanks for the good wishes. I'm going to start a thread under case updates regarding my surgery.

Oh and congrats Lernica on your daughter getting into medical school. You must be extremely proud!
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”