heating pads

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
pdn

heating pads

Post by pdn »

hi, have found for awhile that heating pad under my butt and perineum really helps with pain sensations, more than any meds or injections I've tried over the years---maybe acts as neuromodulator?? So I use often and in the office, and at home on chairs at night. Wondering if others have been doing this?? thanks, pdn
TracyB7777

Re: heating pads

Post by TracyB7777 »

Honestly ice works best for me. The heating pads seem to make the pain worse; similar to a flare. I hate it when the PT starts with heat. We've discussed it but she keeps saying it's necessary.
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
merrie

Post by merrie »

I use heat on my abddominal area for muscle spasms and it helps a lot. I use this microwave pelvic pain pad called endofemm. Helps me tremendously espesially with the increased pain i get with my cycle and with the psoas spasms I have all the time. Doesnt help with my nerve pain tho.

Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Pdn,

Welcome to HOPE! I use both ice and heat at the same time! Ice between the legs for nerve pain, and heat on either the tummy or on the buttocks or the lower back, whichever needs it the most for muscle pain or cramps.

I'm sorry that you have PN. Would you care to tell us more about yourself? How did you develop PN, who diagnosed you, and what treatments have you tried so far?
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
pdn

Post by pdn »

hi, from pdn, have had pudendal neuralgia probably for 10 years or so possibly from a lot of sitting but must be more to it than that. Anyway, have had several injections from dr. Quesada, in new hampshire, without much help, Can't tolerate much pain meds but probably do get some help from 10 mg. of nortryptiline. Have tried all the alternative treatments and pelvic floor therapies without much help either. Dr Valovska, at Brigham hospital in boston area, is recommending a stimulator trial. Wondering what anyone thinks or knows about this treatment?? thanks, pdn
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

TracyB7777 wrote:I hate it when the PT starts with heat. We've discussed it but she keeps saying it's necessary.
My PT used to start with the moist heat, too. I had to be very adament about getting her to stop. It's not necessary and does cause more harm than good.
pdn wrote:hi, have found for awhile that heating pad under my butt and perineum really helps with pain sensations, more than any meds or injections I've tried over the years
Hi pdn and welcome to HOPE! I'm a patient of Dr. Conways. Like most others, I use ice for the nerve pain. During my last appointment with him, my sister asked him if I should be using heat instead of ice and he emphatically stated NO - Heat will only further inflame and irritate the nerve. Do you happen to have a seat cushion of any kind? Getting back to the heat - it sounds like you're using it an awful lot:
pdn wrote: I use often and in the office, and at home on chairs at night.
Even if you were using it for muscle pain/spasms, you're only supposed to use it for 15 minutes at a time. I'm sorry all the conservative treatments haven't worked out better for you. There is information about the SPS on the forum but that hasn't been particularly helpful for those who have tried it, either. Did your doctor cover all the risks and limitations with you?
I wish you the very best with finding relief from this unrelenting pain! You're not alone and we're here to help.
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
pdn

Post by pdn »

hi Karyn, thanks for thoughtful questions. my drs. including a neurologist that just consulted with have said that if heat works than thats the way to go. Never heard anyone say that heat would inflame the nerve ala dr. conway--thats sounds quite narrow to me as heat and cold are both neuromodulators and should effect people differently depending on specifics of their condition. And I do keep it on, sometimes an hour at atime when sitting, and haven't seen any neagative consequences. pdn
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi PDN,
Well, if heat works for you and doesn't flare you, like most of us, you should do what makes you feel comfortable. :) I didn't think Dr. Conways response was narrow minded at all. For me,
it was an explanation as to why applying heat made my symptoms worse.
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”