Oxcarbazepine

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
TracyB7777

Oxcarbazepine

Post by TracyB7777 »

Saw my nuerologist this week and he doesn't want to go any further, and won't support my botox appeal, until I try one more drug. So this weekend I'm starting Oxcarbazepine 150mg twice a day, then in 2 weeks up it to three times a day, two more weeks four times a day. Has anyone used this? I've been off all meds since the beginning of April and really am enjoying actually having a clear mind. Howeve maybe this one won't be as bad since I'm no longer taking a handful of other pills along with it. Sigh...hopeful but...we'll you understand. :?
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
Lernica

Re: Oxcarbazepine

Post by Lernica »

Good luck with the new drug, Tracy, and keep us posted.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hi Tracy,

I hope that you do well with this new drug. I took a look at it and it looks like it is in category to treat epilepsy, kind of like neurontin and Lyrica. Have you tried any of these anti-eptileptic drugs before with any success?

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

Hi Wendy

I did try Lyrica but it actually caused suicidal thoughts. Now that may be because of the other meds on was on at the time didn't mix well with it. I really don't know. But once I stopped the Lyrica I quit thinking about driving under a semi. :( Definitely not trying that again. I haven't found a medication or mixture of meds that have worked...yet. Ice is still my best friend.
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hello Traci,

That is a really bad side effect. That really sucks! Glad you found out that it was the Lyrica causing the problem, before you acted on something. Medications can cause some serious side effects. But, knowing that you had that reaction to the Lyrica, it might be good to watch out for that same side effect with the Oxcarbazepine. But, I do hope that it works just as well for you as the Lyrica did.

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Best of luck with this medication change but as Wendy has already said you should be aware of previous experiences with medications so that you can be aware this time.
This type of meds are great for some people and terrible for others.....I personally couldnt take any of them.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

Thank you both!! I've made my family aware (17yo son lives with me and my mom I talk to on the phone daily) that I've started a new med and to let me know if they see/hear anything unusual. It's hard to see it in ourselves.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Trileptal is the other name for this drug. Did you ever try Neurontin Tracy or just Lyrica? If not maybe you could try Neurontin first?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”