Flu shots? H1N1

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
christi

Flu shots? H1N1

Post by christi »

My PNE problems started a few weeks after a Swine flu (HiN1) shot. I'm just wondering if there's any connection, as neurological responses to shots are fairly common.

Anyone else notice any correlation?

--Christi
Violet M

Re: Flu shots? H1N1

Post by Violet M »

Never heard of an association between PNE and flu shots. Were you having any other symptoms after the flu shot?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

My family and I got the H1N1 shot after my PNE symptoms had already started, no change in my symptoms and no side effects for any of us.
Can you think of any other event during that same period that might have precipitated pelvic injury? My pelvic pain (interstitial cystitis, PNE was not til much later but same underlying cause) started on a backpacking trip. It took me years to find out that I have a foot abnormality which predisposes me to an abnormal gait pattern, and hiking over miles of rough terrain with a heavy pack was the perfect setup for me to injure myself. Any new gym membership / excercise routine, or other unusual activity going on around the same time you got the shot?
I think that every one of us who doesn't have an obvious precipitating event like childbirth or surgery, starts questioning every little possibility. Because I spent the first 23 years or so of my chronic pelvic symptoms ignorant of the significance of biomechanics in these disorders, I had two theories for a long time: One was that because i had a bladder infection at age 11 which was neglected until I started to bleed, my bladder had been permanently damaged causing chronic pain a few years down the line. The other theory was that there was some kind of undetectable, untreatable microbe in the mountain spring water I drank while on that backpacking trip. Both were untrue and both led to that unproductive line of thought, "if only this one thing had been done differently..."
I wouldn't worry about the vaccine, I can't imagine it would cause focal nerve pain in the pelvic region. If there were to be a neuro reaction to a vaccine I would think it would be multiple neuropathies or brain damage, or focal nerve damage at the site of the shot or radiating down the arm from the site of the shot. Of course I could be wrong; I hope whatever the answer is you find it and that it helps guide you to a successful course of treatment.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
christi

Post by christi »

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Her Majesty. I actually think I pushed myself over some edge by trying to learn a dance routine I'd seen on Glee. Stupid thing to do, I guess, for a 61 year old!
abmia22

Post by abmia22 »

This post is so strange. I was thinking the same thing as you. The reason I remember my pain started was because two days before I got the swine flu shot, which I had been waiting forever to get cause im such a germ-phobe, my pain began with burning after urination. After I got the swine flu shot the pain never went away and turned into what it is today. The constant penile pain has been here since December 2009. If the pain had started two days later I would have for sure attributed it to the swine flu shot. I can tell you though that when I got the flu shot this year it made my pain worse temporarily, which normally happens whenever I get sick so that becomes extremely annoying and hence why I am always washing my hands now. Seriously this condition is one of the worst non-leathal ailments out there.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

A new member, MrPain, developed PN symptoms after contracting the swine flu. See this thread:

http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... flu#p13909
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
desperatehousewife

Post by desperatehousewife »

Weird. I've often wondered the same thing. My problems started after my shot for H1N1 too. I just chalked it up to conincidence, but I guess you never know!

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”