What does "invasive surgery" mean to you?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Celeste

What does "invasive surgery" mean to you?

Post by Celeste »

Does it mean an incision of any type?
Does it mean a long incision vs. a short incision vs. holes for a laparascope?
Does it mean that tissue is touched underneath your skin?
Does it mean that tissue is altered in some way within your body?
Does it mean that tissues is removed without some sort of replacement?

I hear "invasive" and "non-invasive" used all over the forum and I really think it means different things to different people. I'm posting this because I'd like to encourage new people to really consider what is being said when a surgery is called "non-invasive".
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
helenlegs 11

Re: What does "invasive surgery" mean to you?

Post by helenlegs 11 »

If someone was cutting through my skin to operate, I would call it invasive.
I have had minimally invasive surgery though, a microdiscectomy 8 years ago. Even though that was removing most of a disc that was causing problems and I didn't need it to fully function, I would still class it as invasive.
Something like skin peels or lazer eye surgery would be my classification of non invasive.
Having recently watched Rr's surgery video. PN surgery is definitely invasive.
Cheers,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Celeste wrote:I hear "invasive" and "non-invasive" used all over the forum and I really think it means different things to different people. I'm posting this because I'd like to encourage new people to really consider what is being said when a surgery is called "non-invasive".
What a truly fabulous post, Celeste! I often wondered the same thing, especially when I was considering surgical approaches. If you have to cut through skin and soft tissue, regardless of the surgical approach, my take is that ALL surgeries are invasive. What would be considered a "non-invasive" surgery? I've heard of less invasive and minimally invasive, but never non-invasive in regards to a surgical procedure.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
ezer

Post by ezer »

I tend to look at it backward. Meaning invasive implying a long recovery time in months/years and non invasive in weeks. I know it is not scientific but it is how I tend to judge the "invasiveness" of a surgery.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
calluna

Post by calluna »

Actually I think that is really sensible, ezer. I hadn't thought of looking at it that way.

For instance, laparoscopic surgery has a shorter recovery time than the equivalent surgery done with an open incision, and although the actual work being done internally might be exactly the same, I would term it less invasive.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

To me, "invasive" treatment is surgery, period. "Conservative" treatment is medicine and PT. In my view, there is such a thing as "non-invasive" surgery. But you can have "minimally invasive" surgery, a.k.a. laparoscopic surgery, where the incisions are small (i.e. 5 mm.) and the surgery is done under a microscope.

That's why I was confused when Griff said that her dorsal nerve decompression surgery was "non-invasive". Maybe she meant it was minimally invasive? I still don't know!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

ezer wrote:I tend to look at it backward. Meaning invasive implying a long recovery time in months/years and non invasive in weeks. I know it is not scientific but it is how I tend to judge the "invasiveness" of a surgery.
That's interesting. So you might consider a knee replacement invasive, while an appendectomy would be non-invasive? I had never considered recovery time as part of the equation. For example, after a hip replacement, they want you to at least stand if not walk on the first day. After a hysterectomy, they want you immobile for the first 24 hours.

I think having kidney stones broken up using ultrasound is non-invasive. I think any surgery where they cut into your skin and go inside (ie invading your body) is invasive.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Last edited by Charlie on Mon May 16, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

If it is a normally quick recovery time and something goes wrong, say infection, to cause an increase in that reciovery time ? ?
Think it's got to be based on the procedure.
take care
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

To me "invasive" means anything that breaks the body's natural boundaries (skin, mucous membrane). However an injection, for example, while invasive, is not an "invasive surgery", it is an "invasive procedure". To call it an "invasive surgery", something in there need to be rearranged in some way. So while there is less invasive and more invasive, and there is a procedure vs. a surgery, the vast majority of what we get done is invasive.
The noninvasive things PNer's do are PT and other forms of adjustment (chiro, D.O.), TENS, medication,etc - fairly short list.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.

Return to “SURGERY”