Bruising after TG Surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
nyt

Re: Bruising after TG Surgery

Post by nyt »

Griff52, from what you posted earlier about what Dr. Dellon told you he had to do during surgery to find the compressed nerve I'm not surprised you are so black and blue. It will absorb in due time and some mild heat will certainly help. Been thinking about you and hope you are doing well. Prayers are sent for you during your recovery.

My TG I just had with Dr. Hibner has resulted in minimal bruising. My husband was surprised when they pulled the wound vac and saw how good the incision looked and the mild bruising I had as we both expected I would be quite black and blue. I have been using a heating pad on my butt a couple of times a day (I do this normally anyway because my butt always aches) the last 1.5 weeks to help with the reabsorption and soften the area as a portion is hard.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Griff,
Did you have PNE sugery in addtion to the Dorsal Nerve surgery.I had no brusing at all after my dorsal nerve surgery.It seems that he also explored the inferior part of the Alcock's Canal as well which is good.Please make sure that you don't have an infection because you had an outpatient pocedure.On the other hand,I was kept two days in the hospital by Dr. Aszmann to make sure that I didn't develop any major infections from the surgery.

Kind Regards,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
nyt

Post by nyt »

AliPashi, I don't understand why you think staying in the hospital would decrease the possibility of an infection. If anything staying in a hospital increases the possibility of infection. Also, bruising is not a sign of infection, warm, red to touch, fever, and pain are the signs of infection, not black and blue.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Nyt,
It's just my opinion that to keep an eye on the patient for any issues that might arise from any invasive surgery.The Hospitals are more equipped to deal with it asap , for any kind of emergency issues.Just like Dr. Hibner's patients had developed infections after the surgery and some of them had to be Kept for a week and some needed even further surgery to get rid of those infections.

I was kept in the hospital for four or five days by Dr. Bautrant in Aix En Provence,France to make sure that there is no complication from the surgery especially Internal/External excessive bleeding from the incision or any infection.

Kind Regards,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Wed May 25, 2011 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

AliPasha1 wrote:Hi Nyt,
It's just my opinion that to keep an eye on the patient for any issues that might arise from any invasive surgery.The Hospitals are more equipped to deal with it asap ,if for any kind of emergency issues.Just like Dr. Hibner's patients had developed infections after the surgery and some of them had to be Kept for a week and some needed even further surgery to get rid of those infections.

I was kept in the hospital for four or five days by Dr. Bautrant in Ai En Provence to make sure that there is no complication from the surgery especially Internal/External excessive bleeding from the incision or any infection.

Kind Regards,
Ali
Now you are saying the dorsal nerve surgery was invasive, but before you always said it was not. I think it is probably very confusing to a lot of people.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

It is a non- invasive surgery as compared to a PNE surgery,but I believe that it seems from Linda's case,that Dr. Dellon was able to access all the way to the distal Alcock's Canal by means of the same dorsal/perineal incision,thus making it more invasive than mine. My surgery was only limited to dorsal nerve decompression.

It's more complicated because I am presuming that Dr. Dellon explored more points of compression than it was done in my case.

That could well explain the extra bruising that she is finding in her case.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

AliPasha1 wrote:It is a non- invasive surgery as compared to a PNE surgery,but I believe that it seems from Linda's case,that Dr. Dellon was able to access all the way to the distal Alcock's Canal by means of the same dorsal/perineal incision,thus making it more invasive than mine. My surgery was only limited to dorsal nerve decompression.

It's more complicated because I am presuming that Dr. Dellon explored more points of compression than it was done in my case.

That could well explain the extra bruising that she is finding in her case.
Nerve decompression is invasive, no matter how it's done. They're far below the surface of the skin near the bones. There is nothing superficial about it.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Even though I wasn't in a hospital, I had someone looking after me. She would check my incision and report to Dr Dellon. I do not have an infection. Dr Dellon gave me betadine swabs to take to the hotel so I could use them on the incision twice a day once the gauze fell off.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
nyt

Post by nyt »

All dr.'s have differences in how long they like to keep patients in the hospital. If you look back through history the time patients stay in the hospital have dramatically shortened. There was a time hysterectomy patients stayed 7-10 days now many are home in less than 24 hours, kidney transplant patients use to stay 7-10 days with part of that stay in an ICU and now many of them go home within 1 day and most are are discharged by 3 days. When I had my tubes tied, surgery in the morning home by dinner.

Infections are most commonly seen starting about 7 days after surgery. However, it is not uncommon for individuals with abdominal surgery or heart surgery to start running a small fever 2-3 days after surgery and most of these well known post-op fevers are treated using breathing techniques at the bedside and up and out of bed. The majority of those fevers go away withing 24 hours and are never treated with antibiotics. There is well documented published literature that shows the longer a patient stays in the hospital the risk of a hospital acquired infection increases. So keeping a patient in the hospital to monitor for infection doesn't make any sense to me unless they were diabetic or had a compromised immune system. The reason most dr.'s keep their pudendal patients over night is to make sure they can pee before they leave, there hasn't been any major bleeding, and anesthesia has worn off so you can ambulate.

AliPashi you are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding how long a patient should stay in the hospital after surgery and question the physician treating you if you believe you should stay in the hospital longer. But when I read your previous statements it came across to me that because Dr. Dellon sends his patients home the same day as surgery might make him not a good physician or a questionable physician because he puts his patients in some type of risk is disingenuous to say the least and I certainly hope that was not your intent. Having met Dr. Dellon I know he keeps good track of his patients. He even visits patients in their hotel room the next day after surgery. Now that is service! In no way shape or form would he ever comprise his patients safety! He is a world renowned physicians for many reasons and he watches his patients closely. AliPashi I know you have also met Dr. Dellon and I would be totally surprised if you thought any differently about the care he gives.
carla10

Post by carla10 »

My recovery took 10 days after hysterectomy because of the infection. I began having raising temperature 3 days after the surgery. Ali is right I think there no reason to attack him

Return to “SURGERY”