Lyrica dosage

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
bishop

Lyrica dosage

Post by bishop »

I've recently been prescribed Lyrica by my doctor for PNE pain. He had me take 25 mg. a day for one week, then up it to 50 mg a day. So far I've noticed no difference after two days on the 50 mg. dose. But I've seen people on this forum talk about Lyrica helping them. Are these the dosages you've tried? I don't want to keep taking it if it's not helping me. Or should I be expecting it to kick in at some point?
RJR

Re: Lyrica dosage

Post by RJR »

300mg/day kicked in @ 40% pain reduction at the 5-6 week point for me. It was a prompt drop in pain.
RR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
bishop

Post by bishop »

Wow! Looks like I have a long way to go. It's good to hear your surgery report - I am seeing Dr. HIbner in August for the first time. He is the final stop for me on a long journey to find out what can be done to help me.
rick

Post by rick »

900 mg of Lyrica a day for me.

I had managed to get down to 600 but I am in a major flare and may need to go back up to 1200.

I also take 180 mg of Cymbalta a day.

Rick
donstore

Post by donstore »

Good to hear from you, Rick. Lyrica has helped me a lot. I am currently on 150 mg. 3 times per day plus 20-30 mg Oxycodone. Good to know I can kick it up and add in the Cymbalta if necessary. How often do you take the Lyrica each day ?

Best Wishes,

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Bishop,

How did your August appointment with Hibner go?
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
bishop

Post by bishop »

I was impressed by Dr. Hibner and also Patty, his secretary. I flew to Arizona from WA state and he wanted me to get an MRI (to be read by Dr. Kalinkin) and also a CT-guided injection of numbing medication and a steroid. This was on a Wednesday and I was flying home on Saturday. Dr. Hibner had Patty call St. Joseph's and at his request they actually juggled the radiology schedule and fit me in for both appointments, one that afternoon and the other on Thursday afternoon.

Unfortunately, the MRI showed no inflammation near the pudendal artery & pudendal vein. (Dr. H. explained that they simply can't see the pudendal nerve but if it's truly irritated, the surrounding area would also look irritated.) He also stressed that just because the artery & vein area wasn't engorged, that still doesn't mean it's NOT the p. nerve. The numbing medication did it's job, however, so we know it's the p. nerve. But the steroid never kicked in.

I do not have the severe or debilitating pain that many of you do have and am functioning fairly well with desipramine (which takes care of the strong ache in my right buttock) and always sitting on cold packs to numb the stinging, burning sensation in that area. I'm supposed to call him back in mid-October and discuss options. Oh, and I ended up having to stop the Lyrica because it was upsetting my stomach too much.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Bishop, I'm glad to hear your trip to Hibner was successful. I'm wondering why they don't go ahead and schedule out of town patients for all of these procedures ahead of time. Do you know of any explanation for this?

Good luck with your future procedures/therapies.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
bishop

Post by bishop »

Violet, when I first scheduled my appt. with Dr. Hibner (8 months in advance!), I asked that very question and the person on the phone said that Dr. Hibner would need to see me first and assess which procedures I would actually need. However, I wasn't about to waste my time down there so I went ahead and scheduled an MRI for myself on the day after my appt. with him! I had to jump through some hoops and have my doctor here in Washington fax the request to Dr. Hibner's office stating that I needed an MRI and Dr. HIbner's office faxed a request to St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix. So I would recommend to others to do that because of course he's going to want an MRI read by Dr. Kalinkin in most cases. The MRI tech told me that so many patients of Dr. Hibner's come through there! When I made the MRI appt., I was completely honest and explained my situation and asked the scheduler if it was okay if I ended up cancelling the MRI if it wasn't needed and she said that would be no problem.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Thanks for the explanation, Bishop. Sounds like you did the smart thing. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”