Sub-Clinical PN?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
scaredgal

Sub-Clinical PN?

Post by scaredgal »

Just a random thought - wonder how common PN actually is? So many of us seem to fit in the category of having symptoms for years that might be PN related - the list is endless - erectile dysfunction, urinary urgency/frequency/stress incontinence, rectal pain not related to hemorroids or rectal pathology, undiagnosed pelvic pain, etc.

So, you see all of these ailments advertised on TV with drugs pushed at the sufferers. Wonder how many of these conditions are really sub-clinical PN? PN so mild it does not cause sitting pain?
TinyDancer

Re: Sub-Clinical PN?

Post by TinyDancer »

Hey Gal,

I know that I had PN for 35 years before I started having severe symptoms and then it was another 7 years before I was diagnosed. I had a pain level of 1 or 2 for those 35 years that would flare to a level of about 4. In those days, I don't think they knew what a pudendal nerve was!

Kate
Surgery with Dr. Micheal Hibner March 14, 2011
Am 85% better in only 5 months and so grateful to Dr. Hibner
THIS FORUM ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS!!!
My thanks to all of you.
TinyDancer

Post by TinyDancer »

Hey Gal,

I know that I had PN for 35 years before I started having severe symptoms and then it was another 7 years before I was diagnosed. I had a pain level of 1 or 2 for those 35 years that would flare to a level of about 4. In those days, I don't think they knew what a pudendal nerve was!

Kate
Surgery with Dr. Micheal Hibner March 14, 2011
Am 85% better in only 5 months and so grateful to Dr. Hibner
THIS FORUM ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS!!!
My thanks to all of you.
susibee

Post by susibee »

Oh, I definitely think PN can vary in its severity so that many have it without the sitting pain or severe pain. I think most vulvodynia sufferers probably have pudendal neuralgia (rather than a skin condition, or a yeast problem, or urinary oxalates, or whatever else). I think the Nantes criteria describes those who have the worst symptoms of PN, not all who have some degree of PN.
Vulvodynia diagnosed '01; symptom was occassional vulvar itching/rawness after sex.
Autumn '10, localized clitoral and left labial burning after sex
March '11, new left buttock pain, worsened clitoral/left labial pain/burning.
May '11, increased sitting pain.
Summer '11, pain decreased/plateaued to 0-4/5.
Treatment: 75 mg nortriptyline nightly, definitely helps; PT x 4, didn't really help.
Consults with Hibner and Dellon, left me with questions.
Next step: MRI in NYC or VT.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Just my opinion ...
I don't think PN or PNE is rare at all. I think the doctors who recognize or treat it are rare.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Agreed Karyn! :D :D :D
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

When I talked with Hibner on Wednesday, he said he learned of PN and PNE from Googling the symptoms his patients were having back in 2005. My jaw just dropped!! He kind of laughed and said that he knew what "wasn't" wrong with some of his patients but couldn't figure out what was to help them so he went to the web like the rest of us. The rest is history!! Thank goodness he Googled!!!
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

I <3 Dr. Hibner!!!
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
ataraschimmel

Post by ataraschimmel »

yeah, Karyn, i agree with you. i was having what we can call "sub-clinical"symptoms for two years, where my pain/discomfort fluctuated between a 0 to a 3. After the initial very disturbing symptoms (where i felt like i was being pinched and pulled with a tweezer from deep inside my vagina), i had months of no symptoms. Symptoms came and went and i of course went to numerous gynecologists but got absolutely no answers. I gave up, thinking that i had candida and that i was controlling it through not eating too much white flour or sugars. Until, i flew from Israel to the U.S to visit my parents. The flight to the U.S was fine as were the three weeks that I spent here. The beginning of HELL let loose after the flight (prolonged sitting) back to Israel. Within the six month period following the flight I began experiencing PNE with all its life-demolishing, spirit-crushing intensity. During those six months I ran from doctor to doctor and from test to test... none took the time to try to figure out what my symptoms were about. I just got the "your nutts/hysterical" look and was past on to the next doctor.
It saddens me so much to think of how differently this all could have turned out if doctor's actually took the time to try to help me, as a person. But i meant absolutely nothing to them. How do we spread awareness? How do we educate? And how do I get over the anger? Anyone?? I would like to hear other people's stories as well. Sometimes it is very lonely to feel like a victim of such neglect. Truthfully, it is no less then absolutely terrifying.
please become a follower of my blog
feel free to comment and to share your thoughts with me
http://pudendalneuralgia-atara.blogspot.com/.

almost 37 years in this world, the last few years have been my merciless introduction to hell,
i take 100mg lyrica x 3, 120mg cymbalta, nerve blocks with dr.volovska
will self-medicate with marijuana when i can get my hands on some
am always in pain
if anyone has discovered the why? behind all this suffering please fill me in
thank you all for this forum

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”