Pudendal Nerve Neurolysis

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
donstore

Re: Pudendal Nerve Neurolysis

Post by donstore »

Hi Paulette,
Well, there it is. Dr. Potter says metal in the pelvis produces too many artifacts for a 3T MRI and Dr. Martin finds it to be diagnostic. Which opinion is right ? I for one am dying to know the answer to this one. The final answer to who is right in our cases will be only be aswered for sure as it usually is...... on the operating table. Maybe they're both right depending on the case. Until then all we can do is make our best bet and keep each other posted.

All My Best,

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
frickla

Post by frickla »

Our medical imaging is advancing every year. Dr. P and Dr. M, along with the doctors that perform the nerve blocks are advancing the knowledge of diagnosing this condition more accurately and faster. It requires a combination of physicians from different disciplines, experiences, approaches, research and personal interests to determine the most likely area of entrapment. Putting together the pieces of the puzzle for each individual case. One doctor's specialty supporting the other with information and validated with the surgical outcome when non-surgical healing does not take place.

I am the woman Paulette referred earlier in her post about the PN at the OI. It has taken 6 years to figure out the reason for my sitting/bladder/pelvic pain along with the numbness to my feet. I am thankful to Dr. P and Dr. M's for their help. They were the key! We need knowledgeable primary care doctors, gynecologists, urologists, neurologists and others across the medical industry.

I am also thankful to all the people that contribute their research and knowledge to the board forums. I moderate the Yahoo! Piriformis Support group and I am expanding the information on that board to reflect all areas of possible nerve entrapment in the deep gluteal muscles and nerves.
Grammy

Post by Grammy »

Will Dr Martin accept and read a 3t mri done at another hospital? I have approval to have a 3 t mri at Mass General in Mass. but believe it or not they do not have the ability to read and determine pne entrapments. I had heard that Dr Potter use to accept mri's done at other hospitals at one time but she will no longer do it. I would be sure to have a 3t done however I have felt that having it done in one of New England's biggest hospitals is useless if they can not properly read it. Will you please be sure to let me know if Dr Martin will accept the mri and also how is the cost handled. Thanks so much as I am going on my seventeenth year of this torture and I am at the point where life just does not hold any joy for me anymore. I have had five pelvic recontstructive surgeries and I am sure that I am a mess of scar tissue and entrapments. I am thinking of a pain pump because I can not live like this anymore--please help me if yo can
donstore

Post by donstore »

Grammy,
Appeal to your health plan to go to Dr. Potter. Tell them that you need Dr. Potter's special software. No use getting an MRI you can't use. Once you get it at Mass Gen, your insurance will be less likely to let you go to NYC. She was in network for me (healthnet HMO) even though I came all the way from Calif.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”