swimming

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
smitzel

swimming

Post by smitzel »

Has anyone tried swimming for exercise? I used to be a huge exerciser until PN and now don't know what to do to keep my heart healthy and my weight down. Is swimming safe for PN'ers? Any luck with any other exercises? I have heard of some people being ok w/ the ellyptical but have been told to stay away from it also. Thank you!

Stephanie
Suffering for 11 years after running marathons and weight lifting. Diagnosed with PN by Dr. Antolak in 2006 and Dr. Weiss in 2010. Taking Cymbalta, Gabapentin and Baclofin. Just made an appointment to see Dr. Hibner for MRI and consultation for surgery, can't get me in until Dec.
nyt

Re: swimming

Post by nyt »

I swim laps. Just NO frog kicks.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Stephanie,

Swimming is awesome! See my post below about it. The elliptical is a no-go. Power walking is also good, but no walking up hills! Lifting weights, even light ones, IMHO are out of the question.

Good luck with the swimming!

http://www.pudendalhope.org/forum/viewt ... 372#p11013
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
smitzel

Post by smitzel »

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely give it a go. I have swam/walked in the pool 2 times now but am just so anxious as to cause a flare but will now be less anxious about it. Thanks!!

So Lernica, i need to ask about the weight lifting you mentioned, even light ones. What is IMHO? and why is even lifting very light weights bad? And, do u know why the elliptical is bad? Is there too much hip flexion? Thanks!!

Stephanie
Suffering for 11 years after running marathons and weight lifting. Diagnosed with PN by Dr. Antolak in 2006 and Dr. Weiss in 2010. Taking Cymbalta, Gabapentin and Baclofin. Just made an appointment to see Dr. Hibner for MRI and consultation for surgery, can't get me in until Dec.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

IMHO = "in my humble opinion"

I will do my best to answer your questions. I'm not a doc or a physiotherapist so I may not be right.

Weight lifting is not good because your ligaments/muscles/tendons, when contracting, may compress on your pudendal nerve. I cannot even lift a pound without feeling it in my sacrum and hips. Elliptical is also not good, I think for the same reason. Because of our condition, there is only a miniscule amount of room around the nerve (if any at all) and if you strain to, e.g., lift things, or cough, or sneeze, or have a bowel movement, you will compress the nerve.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Great explanation Lernica, i would like to add one other thing to your list and that is strangely enough laughing loudly which seems for me to really pinch something inside me and has caused a big flare up for me this weekend.....I was looking at old photographs with my Sister and it has hurt me so much.

Swimming is great to take the weight off the sore and aching muscles however the Breaststroke is to be avoided as its been reported by many of us PN'ers to cause extreme pain. Its not easy to exercise without causing more pain...!!!!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Stephanie,

Please be sure not to do too much legwork while swimming. I tend to do very little legwork and instead swim mostly with my arms (containing the second largest muscle in the body and hence good for aerobics). If I kick too much it hurts my sacrum and hips. So I use a flotation device between my legs every second length.

For the same reason I have not attempted water running or walking. I am sure it would flare me up.
Stephanie P

Post by Stephanie P »

Amanda, laughing gets at my nerve too! Stephanie P
Pudendal neuralgia, diagosed as ischial bursitis, from 1985. Worsened by fall in 2003. Bilateral TG surgery in Nantes 2004. Nerve flattened both sides. No improvement, still cannot sit.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Lernica, I also swimg with a pull buoy between my legs as I have to be very careful how much leg work I do when swimming laps. If I'm having a bad day I just put on a flotation belt and hang out in the deep end of the pool and just gently move around or do nothing.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
ezer

Post by ezer »

Swimming is wonderful and probably the best activity. There are a few things to watch however. If the water is very cold, we tend to contract our muscles and that can affect the pudendal nerve negatively. But most important the chemicals used in pools (especially in crowded public pools) can irritate our nerves.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”