Shingles Anybody???

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
HerMajesty

Shingles Anybody???

Post by HerMajesty »

So guess what folks, my newest neurologic adventure is...SHINGLES!!!!
I've heard it's really painful but I'm on so much nerve meds already it barely aches 8-)
Just curious, is this just my personal issue, or are those of us who are prone to neuropathy also generally more sensitive to varicella and / or other herpes-type viruses?
I had chicken pox twice which is practically unheard of: a typical moderate case as a child, and then a second, quite severe case when I was 23. Now that I'm "elderly" (40 next month, LOL) my old friend varicella is back in the form of shingles.
So is this considered an "associated disorder" or is it just me?
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
nyt

Re: Shingles Anybody???

Post by nyt »

You poor thing!!! Interesting questions you ask. I'll have to do some reading. But wanted you to know I feel you pain. I'll send you coupons for Aveena Oatmeal Baths :lol:
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Im sorry HM to hear that you have shingles yet again...you are not elderly.....Im in my latter stages of the forties...and still consider myself young.
I hope that you are not too sore and in extra pain because of shingles. I know of many people who take a remedy to stave off the worst of this condition....go to your GP and get it please.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Thanks gals I am really feeling no pain because I am already on an elephant's dose of Neurontin - 2400mg daily- which I tolerate because I built up to that dose slowly. Neurontin is the drug of choice for shingles pain so I am set up ;)
Amanda I got on antivirals, oral and topical, immediately, within hours of the rash showing up. My big freak out is that my daughter's 7th bday party is this Sunday and I don't want to ruin it by being a possible source of chicken pox. All the kids over 1 year are vaccinated, but she has a number of friends with baby siblings. So the Doc tells me if my rash drys and crusts instead of spreading, then on Friday he will declare me non-contagious. Otherwise I'll probably bow out and leave my husband to host and my BFF to hostess, so that at least all my daughter's friends can come :cry:
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

I get recurrent cold sores on my lips but no shingles yet (knock on wood)! I hope you recover soon, HM! Glad to hear that the gabapentin serves another useful purpose!

BTW, the lidocaine patch that I apply to my sacrum daily was originally designed to address shingles pain. Maybe I have shingles in my sacral plexus and don't know it! ;)
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Lernica,

My Mom used to get recurrent cold sores and totally got rid of them forever by mega-dosing on the amino acid L-Lysine (in any vitamin aisle). Then a dentist gave me oral herpes a couple of years ago and I had a sore throat for 5 months straight without being properly diagnosed. As soon as i got the right diagnosis I started mega-dosing L-Lysine and have not got an outbreak since. By mega-dosing I mean take 9,000mg per day initially until the cold sore is gone, then maintain on 2,000 or 3,000mg daily.
I got lazy after awhile and quit taking it because the oral herpes stayed totally suppressed...if I hadn't gotten so lazy maybe I wouldn't have shingles now! You had better believe I am popping the stuff like candy again today!
But really, try the L-Lysine for the cold sores. It is harmless and for some of us at least it really works.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

HM,

The world is not fair. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE SHINGLES!!! YOU POOR THING!!! ARGGGGH.... i am praying for you.

Hey, while i'm at it... should i ditch lyrica and go back to neurontin? lyrica almost caused me to crash my car, vision blurred, sever side effects....

A's M
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Thanks for the tip, HM! I will look for L-Lysine during my next "drugstore run" (which happens too often these days :( )
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

A's Mommy wrote:HM,

The world is not fair. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE SHINGLES!!! YOU POOR THING!!! ARGGGGH.... i am praying for you.

Hey, while i'm at it... should i ditch lyrica and go back to neurontin? lyrica almost caused me to crash my car, vision blurred, sever side effects....

A's M
A's M I really don't know about the Lyrica because I never tried it...my Doc made it sound like it was pretty much the same as Neurontin except taken once a day instead of in divided doses...so then when I went to fill the RX and found it would require an authorization form and $50 copay I said forget it and stayed on the neurontin. I know some people really have trouble tolerating neurontin and I do not have any trouble with it except for the generally befuddled, forgetful "moron-tin brain". So it depends on you. Crashing the car is not good especially for mommies. So if you can drive in a straight line on neurontin it's probably a better choice for you than Lyrica.

Thanks for the prayers I always love them much but definitely focus your prayers on the PN because this shingles stuff is for amaeuters! Compared to what we all are going through daily it is a total cake walk. I suppose however it would be really dumb of me to start taunting satan and shouting, "c'mon is this the best you can do?!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Praying for you too my sis!
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Oh, HM - so sorry about the shingles! How are you feeling today? Very interesting that the pain was reduced because you've already been taking the neurontin. At the onset of my PN symptoms, after my uterus swelled to the size of a bowling ball, I got this one spot on the bottom of my right labia that was extremely painful. It was raised, buldging through my skin and I thought it was a blood blister or something from all of the intense pressure. When I described this to Dr. Conway, he was of the opinion that it may have been a shingle. Is it possible to get ONE shingle?
I hope this clears up quickly for you. Where on your body do you have them, or "it"? :?
HerMajesty wrote:I suppose however it would be really dumb of me to start taunting satan and shouting, "c'mon is this the best you can do?!"
:lol: Really, I now have a whole new set of definitions for what I consider "pain" to be. Everything pales in comparisson to nerve pain! ;)

Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”