Can meditation be bad for you?

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
Charlie

Can meditation be bad for you?

Post by Charlie »

I am sure many patients have been told to try meditation for chronic pain. I always assumed there was no negative aspect to meditation and have used it myself. However these articles provide an interesting view on the practice of meditation. I am sure there are counter arguments but they are an interesting read.

http://www.thehumanist.org/humanist/MaryGarden.html
Dr. Solomon Snyder, head of neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University, warns that during meditation the brain releases serotonin. This may help those with mild depression but too much serotonin can cause, in some, a paradoxical relaxation-induced anxiety. Instead of relaxing during meditation, these people become distressed and may even have panic attacks
http://www.behind-the-tm-facade.org/tra ... tracts.htm
Abstract: This article reviews 75 scientific selected articles in the field of meditation, including Transcendental Meditation among others. It summarizes definitions of meditation, psychological and physiological changes, and negative side-effects encountered by 62.9% of meditators studied. While the authors did not restrict their study to TM, the side-effects reported were similar to those found in the "German Study" of Transcendental Meditators: relaxation-induced anxiety and panic; paradoxical increases in tension; less motivation in life; boredom; pain; impaired reality testing; confusion and disorientation; feeling 'spaced out'; depression; increased negativity; being more judgmental; feeling addicted to meditation; uncomfortable kinaesthetic sensations; mild dissociation; feelings of guilt; psychosis-like symptoms; grandiosity; elation; destructive behavior; suicidal feelings; defenselessness; fear; anger; apprehension; and despair.
The dangers of meditation - http://www.openbuddha.com/2002/09/06/th ... mediation/
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
HerMajesty

Re: Can meditation be bad for you?

Post by HerMajesty »

Wow thanks for sharing that is really interesting.
I've always hated "relaxing" and "meditating"...for my 1st baby the Nurse-Midwife practice I went to had a REQUIRED stupid childbirth class where they tried to make us meditate and imagine our baby in the womb "floating peacefully in the bag of waters"...the lights would be out and everyone would be lying on the mats listening to our INSANE childbirth instructor do weird guided imagery...except for me and this one other sane woman, we were looking across the room at each other and rolling our eyes. Now you have given me some ammo! Thanks Charlie! :mrgreen:
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Interesting. A common denominator from reading the articles above is that in case of failures, the meditation "students" are blamed by their teachers/gurus. Hmmm! Sounds familiar.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Very interesting.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
pdn

Post by pdn »

hi, like any "potent" treatment, it can be harmful if given poorly. there are many types of meditation techniques, and can be presented in very different contexts. Kabat-Zinn's longstanding MBSR program, based on mindfulness meditation(derived from buddhist practices), have been helpful to many with chronic pain over the years. People can feel unsettled or unwell intially so that good instruction is important. I've been practicing this and teaching this for many years, pdn

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”