Need to lose 30lb

Here is a place for social chats with special attention to support and non medical discussions. We need a place to chill out, where we can distract from our pain and enjoy lighter moments, share a joke or funny moment with others.
missyrg

Need to lose 30lb

Post by missyrg »

I have gained 30lbs in the last three years since I have had PN. I have joined weight watchers to control my intake but exercise will be my main problem. I hurt when I walk but I plan to start on my treadmill for 5 mins and build up. Any advice would be helpful. Missy
Celeste

Re: Need to lose 30lb

Post by Celeste »

missyrg wrote:I have gained 30lbs in the last three years since I have had PN. I have joined weight watchers to control my intake but exercise will be my main problem. I hurt when I walk but I plan to start on my treadmill for 5 mins and build up. Any advice would be helpful. Missy
Sounds like a great plan. I know that WW allows you to customize your diet in cases where you may not be able to do as much exercise; I think it works out to making your choice at any given spot be something where you take in a bit less carbohydrate, so berries rather than bananas, or one of those sandwich thins rather than a bun. Good luck!!!
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

When walking on the treadmill, be sure to not program an incline. Have you tried swimming? Good luck.
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Limiting caloric intake is definitely key to losing weight. Apparently French women never exercise and look how slim they are! I remember going to a cafe in Paris about five years ago and ordering a cafe au lait and a pastry and wolfing it down with my kids while two French women at the next table nursed their clear teas for about an hour. There was a book published about five years ago called "How to eat like a French woman" or something like that (never read it myself).

Last month I resolved to lose five pounds before returning to work this week and I did manage to do so after cutting down my food intake by about 30%. I was hungry most of the time but the weight came off! Cutting back on the gabapentin probably helped too. I could not return to work in the zombied state I was in.

I think that we PNers have to be especially cautious about putting on weight since every extra pound literally hurts! :cry:
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

How many people have gained weight since this PN started, anyone want to start a motivational club to push each other?
I have gained TWICE as much as you Missy! I have always had to work hard on my weight and was paying close attention to daily excercise and diet before the PN disabled me. Then when I got the joint work from Jerry Hesch that made me well enough to really excercise again, I went to work with him instead and got super busy and have not been able to juggle myself back onto a regular excercise routine. Then finally my last med change did me in with another ten pounds :(
Lernica, people like me who have a natural tendency to spread, cannot do a thing with diet alone: dieting shuts down my metabolism so that I have to start eating progressively less, and less, and less. I really need to excercise daily to prevent that.
So, anyone with me regarding motivation /accountability? My 20th Anniversary is coming up in October and I know I am unphotographable, but I just can't seem to get my butt in gear!
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
missyrg

Post by missyrg »

Hermajesty you can do it and so can I. I started using 3lb wghts and doing upper exercise. I am tracking my food intake using WW. I am taking one day at a time and just pray by August I have dropped one size. Find a plan for you and stck with it and before you know it your body will change. Missy
calluna

Post by calluna »

I've lost twenty pounds so far this year, totally without effort. Diverticulitis has done it for me, and I don't recommend it. I have been able to eat only very small amounts before I start getting abdominal pain.

But! I have realised that there is a lesson there, it seems that small portions are the key to weightloss for me. I have always eaten about 60% of my husband's portion size, that kept my weight stable, now I am down to something like 30%. Basically his portion is three times the size of mine. If I eat more than that, it hurts. A bit like aversion therapy really..... :roll:

Also I stay away from processed foods and starchy foods, a very oldfashioned attitude I know, it is the same thing my mum used to do back in the 1950's. So no sugar whatsoever, no sweeteners either. No bread, no pasta, no potatoes, no sweetcorn or carrots. Lots of leafy greens and coloured fruit and veg, plus good quality proteins and plenty of good minimally processed fats.

But what works for me might not be the answer for you, we are all different after all...... I did try weightwatchers once, I stuck to it rigidly but I actually gained weight.
missyrg

Post by missyrg »

The last time I used WW I lost about 25lbs. This was before I got PNE. I pray it works for me again. I am off for the summer because I am a teacher. I am resting a lot by laying on the bed. I need to stop eating so many sweets. I will munch on junk all day, even at work. So I plan to snack on fruit and yogurt. Missy
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I'm with you HM, I need a motivational club to be well motivated, bullied infact. I've got myself into an 'I can't do it', frame of mind, so much so I'm making myself sick of me ! ! So if you want to 'buddy up' with this, great! Anyone else?
Helen.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

I think the idea of a weight losing club is wonderful, it is so hard to not gain weight when you cant exercise properly and all the lying around doesnt help.
I have gained a lot of weight in the past two years.....far too much and its beginning to take its toll on my back and my self esteem....I dont like being large!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.

Return to “SOCIAL DISCUSSIONS & FUN”