Low Back pain

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Faith

Re: Low Back pain

Post by Faith »

I tried Seasonale birth control pills to try to minimize my flares related to my cycle, but it made me flare the whole time I was on it. Maybe it was just that particular birthcontrol I didn't agree with. But I felt a ton better (with widespread myofascial pain) when I stopped it. Everyone's hormones are so different so what works for one may not work for another.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
ataraschimmel

Post by ataraschimmel »

what is the depo pervara shot? it sounds kind-of final. does your period come back after a while??
does anyone have good explanations as to why the pain goes "psycho the devil has taken over my body, let me die now please!!!!..." when we get our periods. what is happening???
please become a follower of my blog
feel free to comment and to share your thoughts with me
http://pudendalneuralgia-atara.blogspot.com/.

almost 37 years in this world, the last few years have been my merciless introduction to hell,
i take 100mg lyrica x 3, 120mg cymbalta, nerve blocks with dr.volovska
will self-medicate with marijuana when i can get my hands on some
am always in pain
if anyone has discovered the why? behind all this suffering please fill me in
thank you all for this forum
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Maybe I shouldn't have a shot at answering this as mine finished 4 years ago BUT because the pelvis is like a bowl made of interconnected bone, muscle tissue, ligaments etc and holds many different organs including the reproduction organs, bladder and bowel, If there is an already tight, confined area around a nerve, any extra content in that area from say a full bowel or bladder could cause an increase in pressure and therefore pain. It must be the same during a period, just for longer, unfortunately.
I know water retention was always a problem with me too, which will probably have a similar effect.
Last edited by helenlegs 11 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

The Depo Prevara shot is a birth control shot that you get every three months. Once you quit the shot your period will return.
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

I know I'm a little late in the game to add this, but my sacrum always hurts too.. laying on it flares me, but flares me less than sitting.

Icing it helps.

I have to move around a lot all the time when I lay down.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
peaches

Post by peaches »

Hi
I’ve developed quite a bit of back pain which I never really had before with my PN.

My pain was always in the lower buttock area and the perineum. However now I’m experiencing sharp knife like pains in my lower back (sacrum area) when I twist, sit or lean a certain way. This is mostly on my right side, which is my PN side.

This is worst when I’m in bed and trying to turn over, then it's like a very sharp, intense stab, which takes my breath away. After is eases off after a while, till I move again I’ve read posts on this site/thread about SI joint problems – could this be what I’m experiencing? How do you tell if you have SI joint problems?

I’m still seeking a cause of my PN.

Lol
Peaches
PN diagnosed in 2009 by Dr Greenslade, Bristol
Symptoms for many years and numerous diagnostic tests
Currently controlled by meds - Venlafaxine and Lyrica
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Peaches,
You've described exactly the type of sacrum pain I had before surgery. The only difference is, I also got the stabbing in that area while walking, too. Eventually, the pain spread to either side of the sacrum, to wrap around the back crest of my hips. I no longer experience that breath-taking, stop you in your tracks, stabbing sacrum pain. I have no idea why and plan to ask Dr. Conway when I see him next month. I can only guess the "dense sheet of connective tissue" stuck to my ST ligament was the cause, or maybe the main trunk of the PN itself?
I'm so sorry you're experiencing this debilitating symptom. Hopefully, I can get some helpful answers to share.
Warmest of regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Karyn wrote:I no longer experience that breath-taking, stop you in your tracks, stabbing sacrum pain.
Yea! I am so happy for you Karyn that the stabbing sacral pain is gone. Do you have sacral pain at all anymore? Can you lie flat on your back for any length of time?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Faith,
I have NO sacrum pain at all anymore. :D What I do still have is vertical pain on either side of my sacrum that wraps around the top crest of my hips. Before surgery, it felt like barbed razor wire. It's not quite as intense anymore but still very painful. I have no idea what's causing this pain. Any guesses? My hips do not hurt, and it's definitely not muscle - it's not tender in the least when I press on the area. It's something deep and no where near the surface of the skin.
Yes, I can lie flat on my back now, although it's still not my position of choice. I've just never been a back person. But it is absolutely doable!
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Karyn, I wonder if it could be enthesitis or probably gross enthesitis. The area you mention, illiac crest(ish)? would be where the gluteus minimus meets the bone so any inflammation of the entheses (the sites where tendons or ligaments insert into the bone) can be painful. Of course muscles react to pelvic problems before or after surgery.
My MRN scan showed gross enthesitis bilaterally on glutes min and medius, probably because my piriformis is so spasmed and the other 2 muscles are joining the party. Not sure what helps possibly a good pelvic physio. I know it's a bad idea to rub or massage directly on that area, tried it, don't do it :o !
Take care
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”