lumbar sympathetic blocks

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
pdn

lumbar sympathetic blocks

Post by pdn »

hi, have had various injections for PN over the years including trans -gluteal and sacral nerves and sacral hiatus without much help. dr. Quesada said recently that in France they are having some success for PN with lumbar sympathetic blocks. sympathetic blocks are generally used in complex regional pain syndrome,CRPS. my symptoms are not particlarly like CRPS symptoms so wondering if others have has this block or injection, and know more about this. thanks,pdn
Celeste

Re: lumbar sympathetic blocks

Post by Celeste »

pdn wrote:dr. Quesada said recently that in France
Did he happen to say which doctor in France is using these blocks? I'm curious.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
pdn

Post by pdn »

hi Celeste, don't remember which dr. or group in France that Dr. Quesada was referring too, pdn
merrie

Post by merrie »

I have had a number of sympathetic blocks - I get them about every 6-8 weeks. They absolutely help control the pain on a short term basis but have not helped long term. My dr is going to try a different med in the block next time (marcaine instead of lidocaine) to see if I get any longer term benefit. Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
pdn

Post by pdn »

hi merrie, did your dr. consider the lumbar sympathetic ganglion blocks because you had symptoms of CRPS, complex regional pain syndrome, like skin color changes or swelling versus the more typical pn symptoms???? or that was the next thing after the other kinds of injections didn't help like in my situation??? who is your dr.?? thnks, pdn
merrie

Post by merrie »

I have CRPS symptoms as well as pne. The sympathetic blocks ( I have had lumbar, pelvic and splachnic) help more with the CRPS symptoms than the PNE itself. The PN blocks did not works for me (first one short lived relief, second one huge several month flare) and the various S2-S4 blocks I had worked at first but then started giving me terrible sacral pain. My dr is Dr Sheldon Jordan in Los Angeles.

Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

does Dr. Quesada know where they do the lumbar blocks? I've had ganglion impar blocks done but with no help whatsoever.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
pdn

Post by pdn »

hi, the lumbar sympathetic blocks are targeting the ganglion just like ganglion impar are but lower in the body. Merrie, thanks for additional info, pdn
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Merrie,
I"m curious to know what Dr. Hibner suggested to you last year. Since you are getting relief from blocks, was surgery not indicated for you?

thanks,
cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
JanetM

Post by JanetM »

I have heard about these sympathetic blocks. It's too bad that it is only for short term pain relief. Merrie, I would love to hear what other blocks your doctor is considering. I wonder if it would help to have your doctor recommend someone with expertise in pain management? Good luck on finding something that works for you and hopefully you find something that can last on a longer term.

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”