Has anyone been cured of obturator neuralgia?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
kat

Has anyone been cured of obturator neuralgia?

Post by kat »

So my obturators are no longer entrapped, but they still burn like crazy. My PN nerves are getting better everyday. My obturators hurt so much I don't want to sit down because that makes the burning worse. I've heard some talk about oburator surgery and was wondering if anyone has recommendations. Dr. Conway suggested nerve blocks, but I've heard good and bad about them and don't have the guts to try them yet.
Any advice?

Kathy
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
Violet M

Re: Has anyone been cured of obturator neuralgia?

Post by Violet M »

Kathy, where is the burning located? I had obturator internus problems for quite a few months after surgery but once the PN's healed the obturators finally settled down and the burning went away. Maybe you just want to give it a bit more time and rely on ice and pain meds for a little longer until you see if the burning will settle on its own.

Another thing that helped calm down the obturator internus muscles after surgery was a TENS unit. If you are interested I can tell you more about it and where to place the pads.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ezer

Post by ezer »

As a side note Dr.Filler is very aware of the the obturator in PN cases. He frequently finds signs of entrapment of the obturator nerve in parallel with the pudendal nerve. He does a decompression of both if necessary.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
kat

Post by kat »

Thanks for the advice.

Decompression surgery was on my left obturator and it just doesn't seem to have taking the burning away.
A TENS unit is used at PT 3 days a week and I am getting one to use at home.
I'm praying that if I just give it more time the burning will stop. I'm worried that it is just going to be like this forever.

My left labia and the front of my pubic bone burn at a level 6 at rest. Movement of any kind makes it worse. The front and inside of my left thigh burn as well.

Thanks for the encouragement and I will keep praying.

Kathy
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Kathy, before and after surgery I had a lot of inner thigh burning. Before surgery the TENS just made everything worse but after -- if I put one pad at the top of my leg on the inner thigh and the other pad on my abdomen just inside the pelvic bone and run it for 2 hours it really helped settle down the pain and burning.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kat

Post by kat »

I put a pad just inside my pelvic bones on both sides and one on the lower part of my butt cheeks. The front left pad mimics the back right one and the front right one mimics the back left one. That makes a figure 8 in my pelvis and that is what my PT told me to do.

Violet - you said you left it on for 2 hours? How long can you leave them on safely? I thought 15 min. was all I was allowed to do.

Kathy
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Kathy, my PT told me to use it for 2 hours. I don't think there is a time limit. Maybe you could experiment and see what works best for you.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”