"Passages In Caregiving" by Gail Sheehy

Here is a place for social chats with special attention to support and non medical discussions. We need a place to chill out, where we can distract from our pain and enjoy lighter moments, share a joke or funny moment with others.
nyt

"Passages In Caregiving" by Gail Sheehy

Post by nyt »

The New York Times bestselling author of "Passages", Gail Sheehy has recently released a new book called "Passages in Caregiving." This book details eight crucial stages of caregiving that are based on the author's journey and experiences while caring for her husband during 17 years of neck and throat cancer. I think it is an important read for all of us and those who help take care of our needs such as spouses, parents and children. She talks alot about their research and journey in finding the appriopriate treatment options when physicians were giving them such different opinions and view (sound familiar?). She discusses the importance of finding the right dr. to be "The quarterback on your team" and the time it takes to find that right dr. She talks about redefining your "new normal" which I found incredibly helpful for me, just the terminology is helpful "new normal." She discusses the use of alternative medicine as adjunctive therapy. I found this book incredibly helpful to try to think of ways to lighten the burden on my husband and to keep his needs in the forefront of all our discussions, that my chronic pelvic pain isn't just about me, it affects all my family. Also, how to think about helping my aging parents. The book is full of resources that are available to help with aging parents and great ideas if you life long distance from them such as Skype. I highly recommend this book to my dear pudendal forum friends as a guide and aid in our life long journey to live healthy lifes just not physically but emotionally and mentally.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Celeste

Re: "Passages In Caregiving" by Gail Sheehy

Post by Celeste »

I agree, it's a great book for anybody, because you never know if you will end up as a caregiver. I read part of it at the library but didn't finish it. I read an interview with the author and she said that when she wrote her first book, she was completely ignorant of a life stage that involved being a caregiver, and that empty nest time is most definitely not all happy, easy time for a big segment of the population. When her eyes were opened, she saw that there was a whole book in it. I'm sure it's been incredibly validating for people who understood the realities of it. I'm glad you liked it!
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
A's Mommy

Re: "Passages In Caregiving" by Gail Sheehy

Post by A's Mommy »

NYT,

This book sounds great. I am thinking of getting it now for two reasons: one, for myself and my spouse due to my chronic pain, and two, for my mother, who is so stressed taking care of her aging and terminally ill parents who are now in skilled living.

Thank you for bringing this book to our attention.

God bless,
A's Mommy
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org

Return to “SOCIAL DISCUSSIONS & FUN”