pelvic prolapse

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
calluna

Re: pelvic prolapse

Post by calluna »

Maybe leave the chores for a bit? Your health is more important than that. I know that for me at least, keeping things running normally in the household feels necessary - but sometimes we just have to let things slide for a bit and get caught up again when we are feeling up to it. It is all about pacing, very important but can be hard to accept, at least it was for me, but necessary.

I meant to mention to you, my GP did refer me to a psychologist for help with pain management, she was a lovely lady and she really helped me get my head round it all. She recommended a book to me, I started by borrowing it from the library but I have now bought my own copy and I find it very helpful to refer to when I feel like the PN is getting me down. It is called Coping Successfully with Chronic Pain by Neville Shone, I have mentioned it here on the forums before and other people have found it helpful as well. Anyway just a thought.

I do hope that the pregabalin brings your pain levels down soon. It makes such a difference to feel that one has an element of control, however small, with regard to this. Have you had the opportunity to try a TENS machine yet? I have found that it helps me a bit, and some days we need every bit of help that there is available to us.

Keep talking, we are all here for you!
sam

Post by sam »

It brings tears to my eyes as I read your post Calluna, you are such a nice person. God bless you! I will definitely read the book you recommended. It gives me so much comfort to read your post and the other posts, and I feel I am not alone, I have my brothers and sisters along with me here. Yes a psychological help will also be so good. I will keep you posted definitely, meanwhile I will also get a third opinion. My sincere prayers for your recuperation also Calluna.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Sam, have you tried magnesium citrate tablets? Once you get cleaned out from the colonoscopy maybe you could try taking mag citrate on a regular basis to prevent the problematic symptoms of gas and bloating you are describing from coming back. I used to have the same bloating, etc. problems you are having. I started taking mag citrate on a regular basis and I have to say it has literally changed my life.

Basically you adjust the amount you take to how soft you want your stools to be and the most effective way to use it is to keep your stools the consistency of applesauce. Sorry to be so graphic but that's the consistency docs recommend for kids who have chronic constipation. If I faithfully take 400 mg of mag citrate twice a day and eat a high fiber diet life is peachy and I rarely have gas and bloating anymore. My doctor says it's safe to use it on a permanent basis and so far after about 5 years of using it I have had no problems whatsoever.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
roxy1

Post by roxy1 »

Hi Sam,
I suffered from pelvic prolapse after my twins were born. It was uterine, bledder and rectal as well. You should know if you uterus is involved as it often feels like it is (and it can be) falling out. You will probably leak urine and possibly feces. Mine was fixed very successfully while keeping my uterus. If this is what you have I would highly recommend repair. My prolapses did not involve the pudendal nerves nor were they damaged at that time or for many years (10+. I know of two excellent docs who do this surgery. I am happy to share names if you like. A good recipe to help with constipation is approx 2-3 heaping tablespoons bran(not cereal) mixed with approx equal amount applesauce and a little juice, I use all juice grape or cranberry but the origonal recipie calls for prune. Anyway take @ 2-3 Tablespoons at night with 2 large glasses of water. When I had prolapse I think my uterus was in the way of the bowel making passage through the intestines difficult. I was very healthy and active for 10 + years after this surgery and it did not cause any PN problems. I hope this helps you.
Roxy1
sam

Post by sam »

Thanks Violet and Roxy, I am taking psyllium husk and movicol now and I will definitely try the bran one and magnesium citrate. My problem of defecation was found during the cysto defecography test and I am yet to get another opinion from another doctor. I am also doubtful if my constipation is due to pudendal neuralgia or pelvic prolapse or some other reason. It is so encouraging to know your prolapse surgery was a success Roxy, I am just giving it a little time to see if I can manage without it, I know I have to finally go to it. This disease has completely changed my life overnight, have become completely dependent on others now, the nerve pain is so different from all other pain, and any thought of further pain really scares me.
desperatehousewife

Post by desperatehousewife »

Hi Sam,

I feel your pain! I think we have somewhat similar stories. I too feel like I have a prolapse and have been given mixed reviews from 4 gynocologists. 2 state grade 1 uterine prolaspse, which is normal after having a large baby. 1 thought my uterus was pressing on my bowel but the only way to tell was to guess and have a hysterectomy and hope my symptoms improve (totally not into the guessing!), and the last one that I saw last week (after I felt my own cervix near the opening of my vagina which I thought was a tumor because it was hard and had bumps on it which turned out to be harmless follicular cysts, LOL) told me I had stage 2 uterine prolapse but no gyno would ever preform a surgery on stage 2 according to her and she did not feel that I could be symptomatic from stage 2 only. I also have suffered from a lot of constipation over my lifetime (including to the point where my bms wouldn't happen for days and actually got stuck a couple of times - gross I know). I developped hemmeroids and serious anal fissures after the birth of my only child. I have since underwent 2 lateral internal sphincterectomies ( I don't feel the last one helped and in fact now I have worse bowel leakage after bms). What I have is slow colon transit (self - diagnosed and confirmed by colorectal surgeon). I too had limited success with laxitives in the beginning and trust me I tried a lot of different types. What I realized is that if I walk daily and use metamucil once a day I can have very easy bms. The walking helps pound out the feces so to speak, and the metamucil gels it together so my bms are soft and do not leave any residue behind if you know what I mean! For the first time in my life I'm a daily pooper - yay for me! Hopefully this helps, although I realize everyone is different. I just had such a hard time of figuring this out that I wanted to share in hopes it may help someone else and that they can avoid unnecessary surgeries like I had underwent.

I'm still trying to figure out if my cervix is pushing on my rectum/perenium or not.... The thought of hysterectomy scares me though for 3 reasons: 1. after reasearch (hyster sisters, etc.) I've come to the conclusion that many, many, many women require surgeries at a later date to hold up other organs that the uterus once supported ( I had a gyno tell me he's never heard of this!, but one cannot argue with personal stories from so many other women). 2. If I do have pn/pne will this make it worse and doom me to a completely unfunctional life? 3. Loss of sexual function (ie: orgasms). So if you do have prolapse issues, I would definently seek pt help first as they have proven track records of helping some women reduce their prolapses through massage and specially designed kegals. It is really hard when you can't find similar opinions from professionals we are supposed to trust isn't it? Hang in there!
sam

Post by sam »

my colonoscopy confirmed I have colitis oesnophils and I should undergo surgery for chronic bowel fissures and hysterectomy and prolapse surgery in the meantime my symptoms have increased to myofascial pain, back ache etc, does anybody else have similar problems, are fissures common for PN?
sam

Post by sam »

Dear Desperatehousewife
I am hanging at the end of my rope, life is becoming more and more unbearable for me. My doctor wants to do prolapse surgery, fissurectomy, hysterectemy for me but I am scared I am going to become completely unfunctional, I cant imagine that sort of a life, death will be much better, but I dont want to die since my children need atleast my moral support. Sometimes I do feel like trying the surgeries, hoping it might solve atleast a bit of my problems, I just dont know which route to take, I am nearing a medical emergency with all my constipation and fissures problems. Life is so unfair and I am so scared thinking of my children's future without me, just thought I will share my agony, my prayers and wishes for you and for all the people here.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Sam, it's a tough decision for sure. Some people with PN also have fissures but not everyone with fissures has PN so I'm not sure there's a connection unless the nerve has somehow been damaged near the anal sphincter or the pelvic muscles have gone into spasm as a result of the pain from the fissures and are impinging on the pudendal nerve.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Hello again Sam

I have just seen your post today. I am so sorry that things are still so difficult for you.

I don't know that fissures are particularly more common with PN - quite a few of us have had them, but then we talk about these things, and most people don't! :roll: Fissures are really difficult to deal with sometimes. If your doctor is recommending fissurectomy, then I expect you have tried all the medications (such as diltiazem or gtn cream) already.

With regard to constipation - are you still taking psyllium husk? It is not recommended to take this for any length of time. If someone is having problems getting the bowel to function, then the psyllium (or isphagula works the same) can actually end up causing a blockage. So please be really careful if you are still taking this. Re the Movicol - how much are you taking?

With regard to prolapse - this doesn't go away on its own. And whilst the prolapse is there, you can't help but have problems getting your bowel to empty properly. Why not let them put it back in the right place?

With regard to the hysterectomy - well, there is surgery available nowadays that was not around when I had my hyst. Now, they can do a fixation that stops the uterus from falling down again. If your doctor says this is not suitable for you, do make sure you understand why and are happy with his explanation.

If you do have a hyst, ask if they could please leave your cervix. Without it, sex isn't quite the same. I found this out afterwards... sigh... :roll:

And do please also bear in mind that the PN pain that you have at the moment may well be related to pressure on the nerve from the prolapse, and the constipation. Most of us find that our pain is much worse if we become constipated, it is usually a major pain trigger.

With regard to whether or not to have the surgery - is there any other route you could take? Have you ruled out all other ways of moving forward, towards a normal life again? And do you trust your doctor?

I know it is scary facing the prospect of all this stuff needing to be done, especially all at the same time. It is horrible when your mind starts going again and again through all the bad things that could possibly happen, you reach a point where you can't think about any of it objectively. Thinking about all the possibilities of bad stuff is not going to change anything except to make you feel more and more stressed and anxious - and the more stressed you become, the worse your pain will feel. So when you find yourself thinking and worrying about it, take your thoughts away from that subject and think about something else, deliberately. Something pleasant. It takes willpower. And when you catch your thoughts wandering back there again, don't worry about it, just direct them away again. You will feel easier in yourself if you are worrying less. And it will help to give you an element of control here.

But really, you know, if you need to have several procedures done, then it is easier to get it all out of the way in one go. You will only have to have one anaesthetic, and there will be only one recovery to cope with - and you know that they will look after you in the hospital.

Have courage! And keep posting, we are here for you.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”