3t mri or mrn for viewing of the dorsal nerve?

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
agent0

3t mri or mrn for viewing of the dorsal nerve?

Post by agent0 »

im getting a mrn soon to see if my dorsal nerves are being compressed by scar tissue or should i do the 3t MRI, which test is better for the viewing of the Dorsal nerves and to see if scar tissue is compressing against the nerve?

can anyone link a case study that proves one test is better than the other at looking at extremely small peripheral nerves.
helenlegs 11

Re: 3t mri or mrn for viewing of the dorsal nerve?

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I don't think there are any scholarly articles (could be wrong) but there have been discussions on this forum about this http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... f=69&t=319.

http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... rsal+nerve
There is a lot of info there, sorry I can't be more specific.
Take care
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
agent0

Post by agent0 »

can the mrn show small fiber nerves too?

i had a lumbar spine mri and a pelvis mri and mri soft tissue for the penis but they cant find anything wrong with the nerves.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Imagine techniques to show every nerve, all entrapment and/or irritation doesn't exist as yet. In in a recent interview Dr Hibner recognised that newer imaging was " great but still far from any modality to be able to diagnose it correctly". http://www.blogtalkradio.com/pelvicmess ... -hibner-md
A good clinical exam by someone who knows pelvic nerve anatomy ( hard to come by however) can help determine entrapment/irritation and as Dr Hibner related "Common sense" and talking to the patient is the best way to diagnose.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Agent, it's my understanding the mrn does not show small fiber nerves. It shows the surrounding tissue from which some information can be derived but it's my understanding that it does not show the branches of the pudendal nerve either unless it's been improved recently.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
pn_person

Post by pn_person »

Violet,

My recent MRN does show the PN's themselves. That is what is annontated on the report.

I will take a look at t he disk when I get it, but I believe I have seen MRN images on line that show the nerves.

Filler claims that the nerves are the brightest item on his scans.

Hard to not be truthful about that since the images from the scans are seen be so many doctors.

Just hope this scan will lead to an effective treatment for me, and fast.

Take care,
Rob
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Thanks for the clarification, Rob.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “MRI/MRN”