My MRI - please help

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
Question

My MRI - please help

Post by Question »

Hi - would appreciate advice on my MRI with Doctor Potter. I can't work out how to paste into this slot but basically I will repeat the important bit here. Basically it said I don't seem to have entrapment at SS ligaments and the "pudendal nerves in the posterior margin of Alcock's canal appear unremarkable". However, "in the anteroinferior margin of Alcock's canal prominent varices are noted, particularly in the right. This directly abuts the pudendal nerve in the Alcock's canal and is noted immediately adjacent to the inferior perineal branches of the pudendal distribution. More inferiorly, varices surround both dorsal nerves to the penis. A frank varicocele is seen in the left hemiscrotum. Smaller varicolele is seen on the right".

Not sure what any of this means as have not seen anybody on this forum with the same problem. How do I sort this out? Dr Potter seemed to think I should have an injection into the Alcocks' canal.

Any advice very much welcome.
helenlegs 11

Re: My MRI - please help

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Seems that veins are responsible for entrapment perhaps after all. Although many have said that their presence is evidence of entrapment but it seems that with smaller nerves the veins themselves may be causing the entrapment. Violet had a post from Switzerland about it (sorry on phone so can't look easily for it )
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
TinyDancer

Post by TinyDancer »

Could in just indicate that there in entrapment in that area? That was my case that was confirmed by surgery. But that's interesting Violet, Helen about smaller nerves. Which would those be?

Kate
Surgery with Dr. Micheal Hibner March 14, 2011
Am 85% better in only 5 months and so grateful to Dr. Hibner
THIS FORUM ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS!!!
My thanks to all of you.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I was just thinking about the branches of the pudendal nerve Kate, as it divides after (usually) Alcocks canal, although I don't know how these compare size wise with say, face nerves associated with trigeminal neuralgia where it is known that low pressure systems like veins can be responsible for nerve entrapment.
When I re- read Violets post on vascular entrapments again it does state that the sciatic nerve can be entrapped by veins anyway. .. . .

"exploration of the pelvic nerves permitted confirmation of suspected diagnosis such as extensive endometriosis or a postsurgical fibrosis of the retroperitoneal space, but also permitted discovery of anatomical situations never suspected before such as the compression of the sciatic nerve by an atypical superior gluteal vein, the entrapment of the sacral nerve root S2 between the inferior gluteal vessels..."

So if that large nerve can be compressed this way, the pudendal nerve could be I guess anywhere along it's length just as Dr Possover describes in the article.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “MRI/MRN”