New pain please help!

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Laura

New pain please help!

Post by Laura »

HI,

I got my first nerve block last Sat. I am new to PN haven't had it for very long & was lucky to get diagnosed right away. I have been doing all the right things (not sitting) thanks to this website. Mostly my pain has been aching/burning in the perineum area.
Last night I started getting shooting pain in my clitoris, no pain in perineum area. Never had this before. Wow not a good feeling. :o
I"m wondering if this can be flare from the block. I'm also wondering if it could be from lying in one position for too long. Last night I was lying on the couch for about 3 to 4 hours with my lap top on a stool (reading posts on this site) holding my head up with my hand. When I finally got up that's when this new pain started. Today so far my clit is still a little achy but so far no shooting pain.
Can the pain move from being in the wrong position for too long?
I'm so afraid this pain might last! Prior pain from PN So far has been quite manageable. Has anyone had this happen? Can anyone please reassure me. I'm so scared.
donstore

Re: New pain please help!

Post by donstore »

Laura,
Flares after nerve blocks are very common and they usually go away after a few weeks. Some times the pain is permanently changed for the worse but these folks seem to be a small minority. In my opinion blocks are mainly good for diagnostic purposes. Did the pain go away right after the block before the local anesthetic wore off ?

Best Wishes,

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hi Don,

Yes. The block left me pain free for almost 2 days.

Laura
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi Laura,

Well diagnostically I think you will have ticked the PN box, which is good news for getting appropriate treatment. I hope the flare you are experiencing calms down soon. Nerve problems can present such diverse symptoms. If I was asked to explain all of my symptoms I should probably first ask, 'how long have you got?' :)
I get tons of shooting, electric shock pains. This seems to happen a lot post surgery too. I think it may have something to do with muscle spasms, at least in my case, anyway)
Anyway just to let you know you are not alone with that particular 'nasty' at least they are over quickly, but they certainly stop you in your tracks!!!
Good luck with your treatment. I think getting to this early is going to be extremely advantageous, hope so.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”