What can I expect post-op? Surgery with Dr. Hibner in 4 wks!

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
profe9

What can I expect post-op? Surgery with Dr. Hibner in 4 wks!

Post by profe9 »

I am very interested in your experience post-operatively. I will be going to Phoenix by myself and am wondering what I will need to take, what suggestions you might have for me for the first week - few months post-op. I'm looking for practical ideas so that I can be best prepared for what happens after surgery.
I am a 63 year old retired college prof with pne. I've had nerve blocks, a pain pump and a couple of years of physical therapy.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.........Art
Last edited by profe9 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJR

Re: What can I expect post-op? Surgery with Dr. Hibner in 4

Post by RJR »

Hello Art,
Feel free to see my experiences since surgery with Dr Hibner on 1 Nov '10. Like you will be, I was on my own. Under Case Updates, I post under RJR.
Good luck and I wish you well,
RJR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hey, Art --- I didn't see Hibner so I can't answer your questions as well as some others can but I just wanted to wish you all the best with your surgery and remind you to have some ice gel packs on hand. And....take pain medications if you need them. ;)

Take care,

Violet M
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
nyt

Post by nyt »

You can search under NYT to see my experience wiht Hibner. I also had posted a question about travelling alone and you will find responses there. If you are flying, if you can afford it get two seats as it makes the travel much easier. Plan on a wheelchair to get around the airport so bring extra $1.00 for tipping wheelchair transport people. I am 3.5 months post-op and do have some improvement. I have a long way to go but am happy for what improvements I have. Am scheduled to have the other side done in Feb 2012.

Good luck and PM if you specific questions that you haven't found answers to on the forum as many of us have posted our post-op experiences.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

Art,

My best advice is to get a riser for your toilet seat - I have long legs and it really strained my operated side trying to keep my leg sticking out straight instead of bending it. I wish I had had it at the hotel because I strained my leg that first week!

I also agree with nyt on the wheelchair at the airport.
I also called the airline and got seats for me and my sister in the front row, where the bulkhead is - there is more leg room - I was able to put my feet up and take the weight off my operated side

Expect it to take some time getting through airport security when you return, as you will be wearing the On-Q Pain Pump

I know there are more tips ... if I think of them I'll post again!
http://www.icandpne.wordpress.com
1995 First symptoms of PNE and IC
8/2010 Dr. Hibner, left TG- failed surgery.
3/2011 & 10/2011 - Dr. Dellon, left dorsal/perineal neurolysis -also failed.
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!

Return to “SURGERY”