Dr. Google and e-Patients

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
Hugh

Dr. Google and e-Patients

Post by Hugh »

I don't know if I should have put this item in this subforum or in some other one. Since it's about self-education, I thought it might fit in this subforum.

Today, on public radio, I listened to the People's Pharmacy which was entitled "Dr. Google and e-Patients". A guest explained how great numbers of patients are using the Internet to find out about all sorts of medical problems. Some of these patients tell their doctors who are happy about this but other doctors don't like this. I suppose the ones who don't like patient self-education think they're the only sources for valid, correct info and they think that all the info on the Internet is only half-true, or is corrupt or is misguided. People's Pharmacy makes the program available for free for a week or two and then PP sells it. You can listen to it and/or download it here: http://bit.ly/nCZo5Y You can leave comments too on that page.

Years ago I heard that the most used section of a public library's non-fiction collection is the health section of books. Because fewer today are using the public library to borrow books (versus DVDs, music, etc.), more have turned to the Internet for info on all subjects.

I tried to give websites and web info on PN/PNE to some MDs and they weren't interested. I knew they were ignorant about this subject because I asked them if they knew about and were educated on PN/PNE.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

- Marie Curie [Madame Curie], 1867-1934, chemist/physicist,
born Marja Sklodowska in Poland; freethinker; married physicist
Pierre Curie; Nobel Prize won for physics (1903) and for
chemistry (1911); isolated, described and named the radioactive
elements radium and polonium (named after her native land)

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”