Questions...

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
JAT

Questions...

Post by JAT »

Hi.

1. Has anyone experienced feeling much better 1-2 days and then the next going back to square one?
2. My physician ordered Lyrica. I took it for a full 24 hours; 50 mg capsules 3x day. It made me soooo weird - beyond feeling "loopy", that I stopped taking it for about 24 hours, then took it last night at bedtime to see what would happen. I woke up feeling the same - in some sort of stupor.

Any comments would be most appreciative.

JAT

Side note: One of my physicians, my oncologist, ordered CT scans of my entire body due to my personal and family hx of breast cancer - he wants to rule everything out. Prior to that I had multiple blood draws; all coming up negative. He said however, that that doesn't necessarily mean anything. In his experience he has seen blood tests coming up negative, however, there has been something (CA) "lurking" in the background. I'm scared out of mind on top of everything else.
Coccyx fx.'86?, kicked same spot yrs.earlier.Endo,adhesions;laparoscopy,lysis adhesions,presacral neurectomy '99-felt great for 3 months.Tarlov cyst;neurologist said go home.PT;no help.Several more laps; clean.Pain meds,muscle relaxer,xanax-helpful.Pain & countless symptoms escalating.Current:I don't have a life,can't "hang on" any longer.I know I'm asking 2 much,but searching 4 informed physician/s who take me seriously,know what they're dealing with,and hopeful subsequent relief.
carolynm

Re: Questions...

Post by carolynm »

JAT,

I'm so sorry about all of this scary stuff; it downright stinks. I too could not tolerate Lyrica. I had nystagmus or double vision and it was to the point I wasn't safe to drive, let alone take care of my small children. Switched to Neurontin and having better luck as far as side effects go, although I'm not so sure it's helping with pain.

My best to you,
cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

As to your 1st question - definitely and NEVER take this as a coincidence: As someone who has lived with chronic illness for the majority of my life I can say, there is nothing like a sudden remission or a sudden exacerbation to give you insight into how to maximize your quality of life. Try your best to reconstruct in your mind anything that was different about your behavior or your environment during or prior to a remission or exacerbation.
Myself, I am at my best with high barometric pressure (airplane flights due to the pressurized cabin, low altitude, or dry sunny weather), when very well hydrated, and when I have spent the PRIOR day standing or lying down a lot instead of sitting. Other comments on this board I have heard that I remember offhand, include improvement while on a liquid diet due to a reduction in constipation, and improvement during travel because of the break from stair climbing and housework.
I am worst when dehydrated, the day after excessive sitting especially driving, at low barometric pressures (high altitude, cloudy / rainy days).
These are just examples, but if you felt much better for a couple days there was probably a reason and you want to rack your brains as best you can to find out that reason so you can keep yourself under the best of conditions, as much as possible.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
calluna

Post by calluna »

I'd echo what HM says - there will be a reason why you had a good patch, if you can think if what was different in the days before that good patch then you may be able to replicate it. I usually find that a flare follows a day or so after the thing that caused it.

With regard to the Lyrica (pregabalin) I am not surprised you were wiped out at that starting dose. I was told to start with 25mg a day, and take the dose up at weekly intervals, in steps of 25mg, each time waiting until the side effects had settled completely before I stepped up the dose. Even then I found it hard to stay awake and felt weirdly spaced and sort of dizzy and disoriented after dose increases. You started at 150mg a day, it took me 6 weeks to get to that dose.

In your situation I think I would ask for a pack of 25mg capsules and take the dose up much more slowly.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

JAT wrote: Has anyone experienced feeling much better 1-2 days and then the next going back to square one?
Yes, all the time -- and not always with any clear reason why. There are some activities that you know will cause a flare-up but sometimes it happens no matter what you do or don't do.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”