Visiting the hair salon

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
stephanies

Re: Visiting the hair salon

Post by stephanies »

When I could not sit at all my hair stylist stood on a stool while I stood in front of her and she cut that way.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
White Falcon

Post by White Falcon »

I have given up on salons, too. My curly hair is the longest its been in decades, and my husband loves it, too! Recently, I cut it myself by putting my head upside-side-down, gathering the hair in a bunch, and trimming off about 2 inches. Luckily, like others here, curls hide any uneven-ness. Now I am starting to get a few gray hairs which just blend in with my blond hair, but as I get more gray, I will eventually look like the wicked witch of the north....

On top of not sitting, I can't stand a lot of fragrance and many products make me itch, so I have trouble using styling products that curly hair so desparately needs. Oh well, I rarely leave the house anyways. And wearing these studid long skirts looks so dumb anyhow, the hair just goes along with the rest of my hippy-dippy look....

Oh well, it's still better than going bald! :D
Provoked pain with intercourse 1980-2008
Intermittent flare-up beg. March 2008
Constant pain since Sept. 2009
CT guided nerve block Apr 2010 (made pain much worse)
Hysterectomy July 2010
Other issues: fibromyalgia, migraines, Lyme, gastritis, MCS
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

I just (finally!!!!) got my hair cut this past Saturday. My sister took me to her place (I still can't drive) and called ahead to see if someone could cut my hair while she was having hers colored. She also explained that I recently had surgery and can't sit at all. They had no problem with that and off we went! Although I also love having someone else wash my hair with those fabulous salon shampoos, that's just not doable for me right now. The hairdresser sprayed my hair with water and snipped away. No styling or drying. I'm perfectly OK with that. I really just wanted my bangs outta my eyes and trim up the dead ends. I color my own hair at home - easy to do while standing and then simply rinse it out in the shower. Saves a ton of money, too! :D
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Great! Did the hairdresser stand on a stool? My problem is that my hairdresser is way shorter than me. I was thinking of buying a plastic step-ladder/stool and bringing it with me next time. There is NO WAY that I'm sitting through a haircut again!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Well, I'm just under 5 feet tall and the hairdresser was probably 5'8 or so. Couldn't hurt to call ahead and explain your situation. I don't ever want you to have to suffer like you did the last time, Lernica! They may be inconvenient, but there are ways around most everything! ;)
Love,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
kat

Post by kat »

I wash my hair at home and stand with my wet hair while we discuss what will be done. I take my waffle pillow and my back pillow in with me to there is no pressure on my vulva or sacrum.
I don't have her blowdry or style it since I can't sit that long.

I don't have it colored anymore since I can't sit that long.

Good luck and I hope you figure it out
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Update: My hairdresser cut my hair while standing on the stool and was very unhappy about it -- she said it hurt her back. She refused to do it a second time. So we improvised. She has a sofa in her salon. I reclined on it with my head propped up on one of the arms. This position worked fine for both of us. She was happy and I was comfortable. And a happy hairdresser gives a better haircut, that's for sure! The last haircut (with her standing on a stool) was a butcher job. Needless to say I tip her handsomely for her troubles.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Lernica

im glad that you found a good way to have your hair done at the salon.
I still have my hairdresser come to me and once I take some painkillers she can dry cut my hair and then put on the colour and I stand up then....so all in all it only takes about ten minutes I rinse off the colour myself after the time has lapsed which suits me fine.
Its very important to make ourselves feel better by getting our hair done etc.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
polarbear

Post by polarbear »

Hi everyone.

I can relate to all your stories. I got to a point where I could not sit at all so I asked my hairdresser to cut my hair standing up. He is taller, so it works well, and he is fast (20 minute cut). I also wash my hair the day before the hairdresser,
I have given up colouring my hair and now have my natural colour, salt/pepper. I really want my red hair back but not capable. I went with a shoulder length cut with choppy layers to have a young stylish haircut, so the grey is not to bad.

I have curly hair, so my husband straightens my hair, while I sit on commode (15minutes).

All these adjustments are difficult, but I m learning to accept them. I have had pne since 2000. I have also gained weight due to all the medications and lack of exercise. My vanity has taken a big hit. But I continue on my journey an d find solace knowing I am not alone, thanks to this site.

Gail

Gail
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

I have managed my hair myself for the past eight years or so. Occasionally some one at home help too.
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
2015-Jun 2019 Bedridden due to pain, wasting and weakness.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”