New PNE Chapter on Dr. Dellon's site

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
PaulSa

Re: New PNE Chapter on Dr. Dellon's site

Post by PaulSa »

Wow, after reading that it sounds like he has it down to a science! How much is fact or opinion is my question?

What I found interesting was this comment,

THE PUDENDAL NERVE DOES NOT GO TO THE BUTTOCK OR THE ISCHIAL
TUBEROSITY, AND SO PUDENDAL NERVE PROBLEMS CANNOT CAUSE PAIN IN
THOSE AREAS.

From the same paper,

NANTES CRITERIA FOR PUDENDAL NERVE ENTRAPMENT*
Essential Criteria
1. Pain in the territory of the pudendal nerve; anus to penis/clitoris
2. Pain is predominantly experienced while sitting
3. Pain does not awaken the patient at night
4. Pain with no objective sensory impairment
5. Pain relieved with diagnostic pudendal nerve block
Complementary Diagnostic Criteria
1. Burning, shooting, stabbing pain, numbness
2. Allodynia or hyperpathia
3. Rectal or vaginal foreign body sensation
4. Worsening of pain during the day
5. Predominantly unilateral pain
6. Pain triggered by defecation
7. Presence of exquisite tenderness on palpation of ischial spine
8. Clinical neurophysiology findings in men or nulliparous women
Exclusion Criteria
1. Exclusively coccygeal, gluteal, pubic or hypogastric pain
2. Pruritis
3. Exclusively paroxysmal pain
4. Imaging abnormalities able to account for the pain
Associated Signs not Excluding the Diagnosis
1. Buttock pain on sitting
2. Referred sciatic pain
3. Pain referred to the medial aspect of the thigh
4. Suprapubic pain
5. Urinary frequency and/or pain after sexual intercourse
6. Pain occurring after ejaculation
7. Dyspareunia and/or pain after sexual intercourse
8. Erectile dysfunction
9. Normal

:?:
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Oh well, then......I must not have ever had pudendal nerve entrapment if I go by Dr. Dellon's quote or the Nantes criteria. :lol:

I had pain in the buttocks and near the ischial tuberosities, and believe me, PNE woke me up at night -- the shocks especially!

My guess is that while these criteria, etc. may be helpful in the diagnosis, they do not necessarily hold true in every case. The reason I say that is that when the pain becomes severe it can be referred all through the pelvic region causing many muscles to go into spasm and it can be difficult to localize the exact source of the pain.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

Violet M wrote:Oh well, then......I must not have ever had pudendal nerve entrapment if I go by Dr. Dellon's quote or the Nantes criteria. :lol:

I had pain in the buttocks and near the ischial tuberosities, and believe me, PNE woke me up at night -- the shocks especially!

My guess is that while these criteria, etc. may be helpful in the diagnosis, they do not necessarily hold true in every case. The reason I say that is that when the pain becomes severe it can be referred all through the pelvic region causing many muscles to go into spasm and it can be difficult to localize the exact source of the pain.
hahaha!! I know what you mean! I was told my pelvic pain was "referred pain" for years, because I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis (IC), and told that my bladder was causing the pain in my vulva instead of the other way around.
When I was finally diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in 2006 it was a revelation. Instead of my sick bladder causing nerve pain, it was the damaged nerve causing bladder pain! Specifically, the perineal nerve, which branches off the pudendal nerve after it exits Alcock's canal and goes to the urethra and base of the bladder.
And now I am wondering if everything we call "pudendal nerve entrapment" can sometimes be other things, such as entrapment of one of the cluneal nerves? I keep hearing about the "posterior femoral cutaneous nerve." A friend of mine who had surgery on this nerve with Dr. Dellon is now sitting, walking (even uphill) and getting back to a full life. I am thrilled for her! On page 4 of the chapter it says: "Injury to these inferior cluneal nerves is one of the main causes for pain with sitting, in addition to pudendal nerve problems."

I wonder how much more we are going to know in just a few short years, and how much it is going to change treatment options.
http://www.icandpne.wordpress.com
1995 First symptoms of PNE and IC
8/2010 Dr. Hibner, left TG- failed surgery.
3/2011 & 10/2011 - Dr. Dellon, left dorsal/perineal neurolysis -also failed.
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
nyt

Post by nyt »

Lottanerve, you are absolutely right with how much more we will know in a few years that will improve treatment outcomes. It is also great about your friend who had the PFCN surgery that is doing great. I am so happy for her.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

nyt wrote:Lottanerve, you are absolutely right with how much more we will know in a few years that will improve treatment outcomes. It is also great about your friend who had the PFCN surgery that is doing great. I am so happy for her.
Thanks nyt....
I need to look up the PFCN - posterior femoral cutaneous nerve - I still am not clear about its location or the area where it refers pain.
I know someone who thought they had PNE - pudendal nerve entrapment - who actually had PFCNE - posterior femoral cutaneous nerve entrapment!
That is quite a lengthy acronym!
1/2012 3-day ketamine infusions. Pain-free for several days! Bladder flared from IC.
11/2012 Intrathecal pain pump (bupivacaine, clonidine, morphine) Dr. Joshua Prager, UCLA.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
LottaNerve

Post by LottaNerve »

Does it seem like PNE has become a catch-all term for pathology with any of the nerves that could be causing pelvic pain?
(I know I need to improve my knowledge of other nerves besides the pudendal nerve.)

I'm fortunate because I get curious and want to look it up. If it was like studying for a test I wouldn't want to do it!

I've learned on this journey that I have to take control of my own care, which means knowing enough to make good decisions.
2/13 My pain is reduced!
5/15 Living life again!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Lottanerve, I think that is an excellent point that there are many nerves in the pelvis and we can't just settle on the PN as the source of the problem. It's great that your friend is doing so well and I am glad there are docs like Dellon who are thinking of possible new sites of entrapment. I guess I am lucky in that PN release surgery was successful even though I didn't fit the exact published criteria for PNE.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Lottanerve,
The following drawing shows quite well the post. fem. cutaneous branch (in relation to the pudendal and the sciatic nerves):

2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

LottaNerve wrote:
nyt wrote:Lottanerve, you are absolutely right with how much more we will know in a few years that will improve treatment outcomes.
Thanks nyt....
I need to look up the PFCN - posterior femoral cutaneous nerve - I still am not clear about its location or the area where it refers pain.
I know someone who thought they had PNE - pudendal nerve entrapment - who actually had PFCNE - posterior femoral cutaneous nerve entrapment!
That is quite a lengthy acronym!
It's fantastic that all of this newer information is coming in as you say in a few years time a diagnosis will hopefully be more exact, improving treatment outcomes.
I don't think that every medical 'expert' in this area always knows about these separate areas that can cause problems as their own clinical tests for PN are usually concentrated on entrapments from the distal end of Alocks canal and upwards. In fact it is probably too difficult to remain an expert with all of the emerging information.
Unfortunately, this can lead to a 'not PN' diagnosis which can be devastating as people are usually at the thin end of the medical wedge by this time. (It may be that listening to a patient and the history is the most valuable diagnostic tool.) Nerve pain is so singular, those symptoms can not be attributed to anything else the question remains why is that nerve pain happening and which god damn nerve is it ??
That's where HOPE is invaluable, with such a participation from interested people willing to advance their own and others medical diagnosis and treatment . I wish that everyone with pelvic nerve pain or an interest in it will be able to find us.
LottaNerve wrote:Does it seem like PNE has become a catch-all term for pathology with any of the nerves that could be causing pelvic pain?
(I know I need to improve my knowledge of other nerves besides the pudendal nerve.)

I'm fortunate because I get curious and want to look it up. If it was like studying for a test I wouldn't want to do it! Ha Ha I relate to that so much, I do find the whole thing rather interesting too, just wish we didn't have it!

I've learned on this journey that I have to take control of my own care, which means knowing enough to make good decisions.
That's probably partly due to the fact that you have become more of an expert than many of the medical community :) .
Last edited by helenlegs 11 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Ezer, after looking closely at the diagram you posted it seems to me that anyone who develops piriformis syndrome could have pudendal, sciatic and posterior femoral cutaneous nerve pain and probably even cluneal nerve pain. I know my piriformis has had some improvement on the operative side so some of my sciatic and PFCN pain has been slightly improved. It just shows the complexity of diagnosis, how one problem can lead to another, and figuring out the origin of the problem is key.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner

Return to “SURGERY”