Any dorsal nerve decompression successes?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
HerMajesty

Re: Any dorsal nerve decompression successes?

Post by HerMajesty »

Ali I am sorry to hear you are having trouble :(
It seems a lot of the guys on here have been told their penile issues are due to the dorsal nerve, but isn't the anatomical equivalent in the female the clitoris, and are females with clitoral symptoms also being diagnosed with dorsal nerve issues? Or is the nerve distribution not equivalent in the female?
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Not good Ali, you must be so tired from it all when you have tried so hard for some solutions. Hope things improve for you and soon.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
flyer28

Post by flyer28 »

To Helenlegs:
I guess that the slow onset (I had several times pain at the base of penis for 1-2 weeks and then it faded away) points to the fact that my dosal nerve is not truly entrapped, but only considerably irritated. After so called ESW wave it became chronic, though with some really good periods with only weak pain (this summer e.g.).
I am planning a visit at prof. Urban in Prague, who has experiences with various pudendal/dorsal neuropathies. After that I will probably ask dr.Aszmann to do 3Tesla MRI, which should shed some additional light on the issue. I strongly believe that there is no need to intervene Alcock canal, because all my problems are more dostal (no perineal pain, no sitting pain).
Matt
summer 2009 - episodic post ejaculatory pain,
early 2010- major flare-up, chronification
february 2011 - ESCW wave. major flare-up, lasting 5 months
february 2012 - diagnosed CPPS with irritation of pudendal nerve, hypog. plexus block
june 2012 - dorsal nerve block, no relief
2013 - starting PT with moderate results
2014-2017 better periods interchanging with heavy flare ups
2018 first long remission (several months)
2019-2023 most of the time almost assymptomatic with cca 2 flare ups yearly
ezer

Post by ezer »

Flyer28,
Do you mean ESW as shockwave therapy? Do you feel that it aggravated your condition?
A few forum members tried this therapy and I am not aware of improvements from it but I was not aware that it can make you worse.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
flyer28

Post by flyer28 »

yes, it clearly aggravated my pain. the pain became shooting, cruel and persistent.
The area around the base of penis is very sensitive and my urologist would not recommend any application of ESW in that region /pity that I was not consulting this step with him/. The impact of ESW might be devastating.
After 5 months my pain got better, had a very good summer with mild/moderate pain and now the situation is worsening.
After consultation with dr. Urban in Prague I will probably try this 3Tesla MRI at dr. Aszmann in Vienna. Hope that will shed some light on my condition.
february 2012 - diagnosed CPPS with irritation of pudendal nerve, hypog. plexus block
ezer

Post by ezer »

Thanks for sharing your ESW experience and I am really sorry about it. It is certainly not approved by the FDA in the US for such location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorpo ... ve_therapy
Presently this technology is only approved in the US by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment of plantar fasciitis and tennis elbow.
Good luck with Dr.Aszmann.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Matt, is this the doctor in Prague you are referring to? http://www.esthe-plastika.cz/en/surgeon ... -urban.htm

Good luck -- I hope he will be able to help you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
abmia22

Post by abmia22 »

Ali,

I am sorry that you are still in pain. Did the surgery help your numbness or erection problems though?
flyer28

Post by flyer28 »

To Violet: No, dr, Michael Urban is an urologist and can be found at www.androgeos.cz, which is a private urological clinic.
I spoke with him personally and he made some basic exams. He said, that my problem is basically the chronic pelvic pain, high tension of pelvic muscles,
especially bulbocavernosis and ischiocavernosis. My pain at the base of penis is reffered pain from those muscles.
During the palpation, my Alcock canal was sensitive and painful, but he thinks that it is not classical PNE. Pudendal is clearly involved as a consequence of pelvic tension (my pain is rather dull and aching, not stabbing or like elecrtic shock). There is no difference when I am standing, laying or sitting, however prolonged sitting makes my condition worse.
He suggested physickal therapy, biofeedback, relax and some myorelaxants. If this will not be succesful, he suggested to try injections into Alcock canal. He said the he considers that not only diagnostic but also therapeutic tool.
I decided to follow his instruction, but will ask dr. Aszmann to do 3T MRI of my pelvis. This tool is not directly displaying possible entrapment, but might provide a lot of additional info.
Matt
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Sounds like you may have it sussed Matt, I do hope that this treatment helps you long term. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “SURGERY”