Office chairs

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
ChrisUK

Office chairs

Post by ChrisUK »

Hi, can anyone share a name or link for a pudendal friendly office chair. Work long hrs largely in front of pc. Tried standing all day but not great or prob healthy in one spot. Someone put pic on here of ergo standing/kneeling chair without link where can buy. Any names gratefully received. Chris
Violet M

Re: Office chairs

Post by Violet M »

Chris, I've searched for a link to that chair you are referring to and I haven't been able to find it. Not sure but maybe they quit making it. Have a look at this workstation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK4yYENEtHA or try this link that won't expire: http://tinyurl.com/3j63sxg
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ChrisUK

Post by ChrisUK »

Thanks Violet!
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

There are quite a few just kneeling chairs out there Chris, but you probably already know that already.
Just to say though, that the kneeling position does tend to put pressure on the SI joint with the effect of knees pushing against the pelvis in that position. As long as you don't have any Sacroiliac joint problems they will probably be fine.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
ChrisUK

Post by ChrisUK »

Thanks Helen, the kneeling chairs I have tried still require sitting and pressure on bottom so maybe am looking for something that doesn't exist. Chris
calluna

Post by calluna »

I used to have a kneeling chair some years ago, where the angle of the pads could be changed - so the top one could be leaned against than sat on. I got it from Staples, I think. Wish I could help more with this, sorry.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I know what you mean Chris, maybe we should commission a PN chair! Mine would have something to lean forward onto, resting my torso. A bit like a big, more upright kneeling chair. More of a 'front rest' with a teeny 'seat' rather than a typical sit down chair.
I would look a bit like a jockey getting on and off. Whip crack away!
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

I think we all should get together and devise a chair with a toilet seat basis! Can't be that difficult surely! Or a chaise longue padded with memory foam donuts :), so we can sit or recline gracefully as we choose, with a side table for the laptop.

You're right Chris, I have one of those posture kneeling chairs but you still have to sit on it :roll:. It did my knees in anyway, since I have little fluid behind the kneecaps. Also the distance between the kneepads and the seat was too far for a little 5ft 1" shorty like me, and it's not adjustable. Calluna's option sounds a better deal and I like Violet's workstation but it looks expensively good!
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
mark_andrews

Office chairs

Post by mark_andrews »

ChrisUK wrote:Hi, can anyone share a name or link for a pudendal friendly office chair. Work long hrs largely in front of pc. Tried standing all day but not great or prob healthy in one spot. Someone put pic on here of ergo standing/kneeling chair without link where can buy office chairs. Any names gratefully received. Chris
You can get a lot online mate. There's a lot of site where you can buy. Buy check out the site that I put on this post. They can give you the best deal.
Last edited by mark_andrews on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
david s.

Post by david s. »

Before I became unable to work, I used a Stance chair (cost $1200) for my last two years of work. This chair lets you assume an infinite number of postures from sitting to standing. I stood most of the day. I used a milk crate to raise my computer monitor and another milk crate to raise my keyboard. (I also used hard pieces of rubber, velcroed together, to stand on, so my butt would fit between the back and seat of the chair). I wheeled the chair around to meetings.
Currently, I use a zero gravity chair at home most of the day (cost $2500). I use the EasyChair Workstation together with the zero gravity chair. Ergoquest sells much more expensive zero gravity chair/electronically-controlled desk combinations. Portable version of a zero gravity chair, by LaFuma approximately $150. I need to use a firm support under my SIJ with this portable chair.
I am able to sit erect, such as when driving, up to one-half hour using a cushion, which has the middle missing. It is McCarty's Sacro-ease Executive Rx cushion ($150.) This is the best cushion of dozens I have tried.
Last edited by david s. on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”