Can PN/PNE symptoms peak and then level out?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
PaulSa

Can PN/PNE symptoms peak and then level out?

Post by PaulSa »

This past weekend I had to do some flooring in the basement (I know, I know, but the work has to get done!) after I was done I must have jumped up 3 notches with a big jump with burning in the perineal area, hot flashes, numb feeling and falling asleep sensation in both legs. This lasted until the following day until I returned to my normal pain level. Has anyone else experienced this and is it typical of Pudendal?
Violet M

Re: Can PN/PNE symptoms peak and then level out?

Post by Violet M »

Maybe your obturator internus muscles and piriformis muscles went into spasm and pressed on your sciatic nerve as well as the pudendal? Just speculating here. Lots of people with PN complain of burning in the perineum and piriformis muscle spasms that impinge on the sciatic causing numbness in the legs. Do you have a PT yet who can evaluate you for any of this?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
calluna

Post by calluna »

I know that if I overdo things then I get some additional pain at the time, but the real flare arrives a bit later on. Often the flare doesn't arrive til the next day, and it usually takes several days or a week to settle back down again, depending on how much I overdid things.

So yes, this fits with what you experienced - delayed pain. I'm glad it has settled down again now for you.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I think it is typical of nerve pain in general, especially if it is a 'softer' muscle or ligament entrapment or irritation ( rather than a disc where a sneeze or jolt causes immediate pain) Like Calluna and probably nearly everyone here I get delayed pain if I overdo it. I painted my decking earlier in the summer, wasn't lifting anything heavy and was on hands and knees most of the time (which I say I can handle the best) but it took several days to get back to base line pain. Whenever I 'overdo' it the 'normal pain' is worse but also extends to hips and groin areas too as Violet says probably other muscles causing problems in the complexly interrelated pelvic area.
A tight piriformis can cause leg pain and problems. I have piriformis syndrome and the back of my legs are constantly numb where the sciatic nerve would innervate. Whereas the obturator nerve innervates this area http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=obtura ... 80&bih=675
As long as it's settled :) but it does show the domino effect pevic issues can have and how complex regional pain syndrome can develop from maybe one problem.
If you do experience something similar in the future Violets recommendation of physio to determine what is being affected can do no harm at all and say if it is piriformis, some easy stretches (you tube) may help the situation.
The thing is the spasming muscles are probably your body just saying NO! When will we ever learn. :)
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Torbjorn

Post by Torbjorn »

HI yes if I over do things I get a great deal of extra pain. Its terrible as I live to do thing. strange though sometimes I can go weeks with no pain then something flares it up.
The pain shifting is weird first one area then another, I love this site. Its the only one I seem to relate. does anyone know of a PN support group I can go to in Houston Texas.
Helen,MY hubby made the site up for me so my name comes up as Torbjorn, sorry for the confusion.
Torbjorn

Post by Torbjorn »

Pleaae will anyone tell me if they get constant urinary pain,sometimes running tot he toilet alot, dooes anyone get mouth ulcers, and are you alergic to foods and chemicals. please let me know im desperate to find out, cant seem to get an answer to this one. haprestegard@yahoo.com
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I have definitely heard others complain about urinary frequency symptoms and pain when urinating. It was described as 'Lava pee' a description which seems apt. I get Lava leg but thankfully not the other. I'm sure others will comment with better info.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Mahzi

Post by Mahzi »

Hi my name is mahzi and I live in India and i had decompression surgery in france by dr. eric bautrant. Was pain free for 5 yrs and now my pain is back. I have been put on LYrica 75mg twice a day and baclofen which does give me relief. Out here in India no physio knows how to deal with this problem which is sad. i am better on Lyrica but make me feel like a zombie during the day. Baclofen does help and to top it all i have csolosis on the lower back left side where my PNE problem is so guess that is what is causing it. wish i could even get some exercises to help me out. Its been a month now since my pain is back so yes it can all come back. I hope with withtime Lyrica takes away the pain. Anybody tried baclofen?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Mahzi, I tried baclofen and it didn't help much with nerve pain but if you have muscle pain it might help.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”