The Journey of a child

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
HerMajesty

Re: The Journey of a child

Post by HerMajesty »

That is very insightful nyt, having been a teen with interstitial cystitis I have to agree. I did everything, not necessarily because I wanted to at first, but because at first I had to because nobody believed me anyway. I didn't even get a PE excuse until almost 2 years after onset when the Doc diagnosed me with a cysto / hydro. Before that he thought I was faking so no excuse note. What it means to me now is that I have memories of many "normal teen" experiences, whereas if I had spent my teen years lying down at home as I yearned to do because of the pain, I would have memories of every crack in my bedroom ceiling.
As all of us who have given birth know, you can't REALLY remember pain: Intellectually, you can remember that you were in pain but you don't actually relive it. So all the stuff I did while I was in pain, I only remember the stuff and not the pain. Learning to be out there acting like a normal teen even while in pain was particularly important to the course of my life because I met my husband in high school.
As someone who now has neuropathic itch like your daughter, I do think it is even harder to deal with in social situations than pain. I have been forcing myself to stay involved in life and not be a hermit, just like I did when I was in pain, but it definitely is not easy. I promise you Mom through this adversity your daughter will grow into a young lady of character! You don't have to take my word for it since James 1, amongst other scriptures, promises the same.
The bike: DEFINITELY NOT. A razor scooter would be a great way for her to keep up with her friends when they are biking. Other activities: like I said I agree with nyt, let her try them on a limited basis if she has enthusiasm for them, and see how she tolerates it. Biking is the only thing that directly damages the pudendal nerve; other activities, just my opinion even if they give her a minor flare, are worth it as long as she is self motivated and they are worth it to HER.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
mom

Post by mom »

WOW!
Thanks ladies for the words of wisdom, hope , and encouragement!
The school "drama" is really not anything out of the norm for school kids. Just learning to respond appropriately and when to walk away. When to speak up and when to let it roll off your sleeve. That is alot for an 8 year old :D

She has had some counseling, and it is SO good to talk with someone outside of MOM or DAD :)

Great idea of small intervals of sports. She has actually taken an interest in tennis, so we have been working on that a bit, just got her her own raqeut.......and she really likes it.

I would have to say the hard part is as you both alluded too is how much is protecting her and much that I think I am protecting her from is hurting her (or mentally hadicapping her?)
I know I need to find the balance. More than anything I want her mind to be stable and her to be confident. I may be robbing her of that by keeping her under my "wing" so to speak.
Thank you for your words REALLY! HerMajesty, that scripture although I have heard and read it before was very timely! Thanks for being a vesel........

Mom
mom

Post by mom »

Just dropping by,
We are still experiencing minor symptoms..... Still trusting and believing in someone BIGGER than us.
Not prepared to try anything at this point still.......
nyt

Post by nyt »

Thanks for checking in to let us know how you all are doing. Prayers are sent to you, your little girl and family.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Mom,

Glad to hear the symptoms are still minor. Sounds like you are making the right decisions.

Hugs and prayers,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
mom

Post by mom »

NEURO APPT. 1-30-2012

Had another Neuro appt at childrens, unfortunatley we had the same woman we had over a year ago. However although she still acted like I was imagining what my child was going through, she sarcastically said she would be happy to have their PT's look at her for a second opinion ( like Loretta's opinion was invalid) We went down to the PT and she mesured her range of motion at the bend, AND WOW amazingly she cam to the same conclusion as the last two PT's we have seen did..SHE IS RESTRICTED!!!!!! She can hardly bend to touch her shins before it hurts in shins, hamstrings and ankles. She had trouble doing most of the stretches she tried...BUT this PT was WONDERFUL....( I can;t wait until the Neuro gets her report :lol: :lol: ) Anyway, we are trying to get referal to the spacisity clinic for a botox and oral baclefen consult. But in the mean time she has been approved for a water stretch class in a heated pool 92 degrees (i think) one day a week for 4 months..so we'll see. I am hopeful that every avenue we explore will lead us to another right door.
Also re visiting her over all growth....she is 8 now and is very small...her weight at Dr. was 42# and she still wears about a 6x
STILL BELIEVING FOR OUR MIRACLE wether through Dr's or divine intervention........

MOM
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Mom, I'm so glad to hear that you've found a wonderful PT! Hopefully the water therapy, etc. will be beneficial and she will be able to get back some better range of motion. I'm sure it's hard but it sounds like you are doing a great job being your child's advocate.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Anne smith

Post by Anne smith »

Hi mum
I'm new to this site and as I have time on my hands(getting over a bunion op) I have been browsing threw the forums and found your post and straight away on hearing your daughters symptoms and the diagnosis of lychens planus I remember a girl at works mother having months of tests and wrong diagnoses until the settled on that. At the time none of us had realised you could get it there. Now what I did find intereasting was that all they did was put her on amitriptalene witch I did find odd! (considering that I have been on years for my p.n.e) but the intereasting thing is she is much improved while she is on it, then gets the symptoms back when she is not! I hope that this is of intereast to you!
Anne smith
Iliostomys at twenty five, just after delivery of baby
Started with rectal pain about twenty one years later
Ten years to get diagnosis, had to research myself!
Two horrific surjurys two(mend) a perennial hernia
Now with mr baranofskis team and traveling to London shortly for injections into alcocks.
mom

Post by mom »

Hey Anne,
I hope I did not misprint...but the Lychen Sclerosis was what I thought she may have had. The dermatologist confirmed is was not that. The cream he had her on improved the red irritation from all the itching but never decreased the itch. Symptoms now are still itch with occassional leg aches, but mostly itch around the vulvar/clitoral area.

Mom
nyt

Post by nyt »

Mom, so glad to hear the update and that you have a found a PT that you like. That makes such a huge difference! I hope the water therapy works for her. I found that is the easiest kind of exercise for me and do much better with it than anything else. Last time I went to Phoenix to see Dr. Hibner I sat next to a PT who specialized in water therapy for children. She said the field is expanding by leaps and bounds and she is very happy with the improvements she sees in her patients who have tight muscles no matter the cause. I pray that this will be the same for your daughter.

RE: short stature. Are they sending you to endocrinology?

You and your family are always in my prayers.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”