Dr. Martin

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
paulette

Dr. Martin

Post by paulette »

I have a friend who just had PN and sciatic nerve surgery from Dr. Martin in Oklahoma City. I have to say I am very impressed. The surgery was done endoscopically. This meant he was able to check out not only her sciatic nerve and pudendal nerve but also the posterior femoral cutaneous nerve. He ended up releasing the PFCN, the PN, and the sciatic nerve.How is that for getting your money's worth? He cut the SS ligament and transposed the nerve anteriorly. His rehab protocol is equally impressive, (I think). He has her using what is called a motion machine every four hours, and he already has her doing PT. He told her to bend forward several times a day in order to stretch the hamstrings. Dr. Martin has a unique perspective in that he is a hip surgeon and knows the mechanics of the pelvis well.

I believe Dr. Conway did everything that could be done for my nerve, but I am wondering if Dr. Martin's approach to rehab would benefit me. I wanted to share this information with everyone, because there are so few surgeons that do this surgery. Maybe Dr. Martin's approach will prove to be successful. In fact, I feel sure it will.
helenlegs 11

Re: Dr. Martin

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi Paulette I am so glad you posted this. I am so excited about Dr Martins endoscopic approach and I'm glad that your friend is doing well so far. I saw that she posted that her pudendal nerve was stuck to the bone!! but thankfully he managed to free it. Apparently both her sciatic nerve and pudendal nerve were white but 'pinked up' during the surgery. :)
I know that Dr M has had good success with sciatic decompression due to pelvic entrapment and has now added the pudendal nerve decompression (and whichever other pelvic nerve was a problem ???) I wonder how low can he go?
I also like his approach to post surgery physio with the passive motion machine provided. I should think recovery from endoscopic surgery should be that bit easier, let's hope so.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Hi, Helen,
Thank you for adding some info to my post. I think the fact that Dr. Martin can see many of the nerves in the pelvis during one surgery is a big plus. It would be interesting to know if his rehab can be used for someone who has had the open TG approach. Might have to wait until the incision has healed. But the motion machine is supposed to prevent the formation of scar tissue, so I would think it would be important to use it early.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Nice to hear from you, Paulette! How are you feeling?

Also, what's endoscopic surgery?
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

How is your post op recovery going Paulette ? I know that your numbness was a great concern for you. Given the unfortunate state of your nerve, that Dr Conway found, has there been any improvement?
Last edited by helenlegs 11 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

I want to hear about Paulette's progress too!!!!!

xo
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

Very interesting information. I knew this was coming for Dr. Martin, but wasn't up on the specifics.

I hope he continues to see more successful pudendal surgeries. I'm not sure he knows what he's getting into in regards to the number of patients that may soon be contacting his office!

Personally, I've been happy with him as my hip surgeon.

Lauren
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Thanks for all the inquiries on my progress. Unfortunately, right now I am in too much pain to respond. Too much time standing at the computer. Or maybe it was because I used my right arm to reach a shelf and put away a plate. i will try to write in a couple of days.
donstore

Post by donstore »

Paulette,
I'm sure you post will generate a great deal of interest in Dr. Martin. Does he decide his point of entry from the MRI or does he evaluate with the endoscope ? Maybe you can get your friend to post further on her experience with Dr. Martin and how how she is doing post-op. Otherwise let us know how she is doing and how you are doing when you are up to it. Did Dr. Conway find entrapment that matched your MRI ? Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself with the meds while you are recovering. Wishing you all the best.

Don

Lernica,
Endoscopic procedures are guided by a tiny camera on the end of a small tube. The surgical part is done thru robotic tools that are feed thru the tube and visualized on a video monitor.

Helen,
Could you direct me to the post on Dr. Martin by Paulette's friend. Thanks.
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
calluna

Post by calluna »

So endoscopic surgery only uses one port - one incision, that is? That's amazing.

Return to “SURGERY”