My not-so-official results

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
carolynm

My not-so-official results

Post by carolynm »

Hello all.

Tears are dropping from my eyes as I write this. Dr. Potter found my pudendal compressed by scar tissue at the sacrospinous ligament. How in the heck that happened from the pickaxe, I don't know. I have never had any previous abdominal surgeries, just the 2 vaginal births that were uncomplicated and without postpartum issues.

I feel hopeless. I can't get into Hibner until February. Needing some words of hope as I have none at this moment. I am not afraid of surgery, only that I have two small children who need to be lifted and carried, and I know the postop instructions are pretty rigid.

Please, I feel desperate.

cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
donstore

Re: My not-so-official results

Post by donstore »

Cari,
You knew you had the pain and now you know the reason. The good news here is that you have a diagnosis that can be addressed by surgery. Some people have the pain and can't find the reason. That would be worse. Sometimes the nerve is stressed and there are no symptoms and then some small thing puts it over the edge. That's how it was for me. I was relieved that Dr. Potter found scarring at my rt STL. I knew there had to be something that was causing me all this pain. Her report provides documentation to get your health plan to pay for surgery if Dr. Hibner is out of network. Take life one day at a time and try not to think too far ahead.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hi Cari,
I'm so sorry about your results, I wish I were there to hug you and cry with you. You did go to NY to
Find answers; unfortunately sometimes in life the answers we get are not the ones we would like.
I don't understand how working in the yard could cause this condition either, but apparently it has. Do you not trust the diagnosis? I think you are going though the grieving process right now which is perfectly normal. Is there anyway you can see a therapist to help you through this process? Someone who can support you and help you with solutions for how you are going to get through all this with your young children. I'm assuming you do not have family or friends to help you. How are you currently doing with your physical pain? Are the medications you are taking dealing with
your pain? I think that's important if you have to wait for your surgery with Hibner. In the meantime you have that time to figure out what your going to do about the child situation. I know you will! :)
I wish I lived by you......... I'd help you! Keep the faith Cari; somehow it will all work out!
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi Cari,
I can understand the enormity of your situation, and sympathise so much. As Don says at least you know the answer to your pain now and you already have plans to address it with your Dr Hibner appointment. You know you will always get help and encouragement here and Laura's suggestion of getting some therapy,( maybe some cognitive behaviour therapy?) could help too.
Have you got a prescription for antidepressant? I take lyrica with cymbalta/duloxitine (and tramadol) I'm not saying it's 100% effective but it helps, especially in the beginning.
I really think that this news is progress, you know where you are going now, ok, it's a road you would rather not take but you are already on it unfortunately and now at least, there is a purpose and an end in sight. Is there anyone who can help you locally? I know this may sound harsh but as to your injury now, the damage has been done!! you just need to get through this. Pace, be good to yourself and get as much help as you can. Don't worry about housework or anything else that doesn't HAVE to be done.
Take care
Helen x
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
sam

Post by sam »

Hi Cari
I can understand how you feel. I too have felt the same way many times but please take comfort that atleast you know the place of entrapment now and you can address it accordingly. As Helen said don't worry about the house work now and take good care of yourself. Please take things easy because I have found stress and worry always exacerbates my problem. Please take good care of yourself. You are in my prayers.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

OK, now I'm crying from all the kind words you all have spoken to me.

I wish it wasn't so darned long to get in with Hibner.

No, my medication management isn't working. I ditched both Lyrica and Neurontin because of the side effects but just talked with my PM doc today and he said I MUST take one of those drugs or else my spinal cord will get screwed up from months of pain signals. I can't be too loopy because I have the kids at home to care for.

So, I started neurontin again , just 1oo mg , will take another one tonight and wait a few days before upping the dose again. I continue with Tramadol, Dilaudid and Valium.

I had already been on Zoloft, Geodon and Ambien for a severe insomnia problem that started (postpartum depression).

Thank you again for your words of support. I really do need them right now.

cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Cari, you've brought lumps to all our throats and i wish we could literally give you a group hug. You're a bit in shock I think and when that dies down you'll get your perspective back. You have to be positive girl, for yourself and your little children. You have a diagnosis , that's a huge step forward, and you have the option available to you for decompression surgery and cure. I'd say that's a positive!
As Laura said, do you have family to come sometimes to help out with the kids? Re the lifting, some will be unavoidable, but when mine were babies and I had a leg operation this is what I did and maybe you can do something similar ~ I put a baby bouncer (the chair not the exercise harness!) near to the cot, put the baby straight in it and pulled it to the top of the stairs, then I'd sit down at top of stairs, take baby out of the bouncer onto my lap and go down the stairs one at a time on my butt. I'd have another bouncer chair at the bottom and do the same thing to get into the kitchen to prepare baby's feed. I'd do this all day long, with a variation with a babywalker, til my husband came home in the evening.
Hugs for you,
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.

Return to “MRI/MRN”