12 days Post Op , Left TG, Houston Team

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
fguerra

12 days Post Op , Left TG, Houston Team

Post by fguerra »

Here is my update 12 days post op:

LEFT side only TG. Procedure was with the Houston team.

I was found to have a congenital abnormality ( birth defect) in which 2 branches of the pudendal nerve went through the sacrotuberous ligament. The doctor noted in the procedure note that those branches were tightly entrapped by the ST ligament. The medial fascia over Alcock’s canal was cut to widen the path the main trunk of the nerve slides in and the main trunk of the nerve itself was not entrapped. The Sacrospinous ligament was cut. He moved the main trunk of the nerve to the front side of the ischial spine (anterior to it) and left it in a fat pad to minimize scar tissue.

Wound site healed up and only one steristrip is left but I could probably pull it off now. Have a little black mark on the top which is a small abscess from a suture. Very small though. I am still keeping a bandage cover over the whole wound just to be cautious. The nurse says I can take it off when I want now.

The horrible burning pain I had is mostly gone. That was the part that had me in bad shape. Before surgery it radiated up my backside to my hip, up my front side through the groin and both radiated around to the front of my torso. I couldn’t wear pants, urinate without burning, my left testical was very sore and painful, going #2 was hell and of course sitting sucked.

Left testical, left side of my penis is still a bit numb but it’s come back well too. Making progress.

No burning when urinating. I’m not going to test the sitting pain much and will just do it as little as possible for a while. No need to potentially exacerbate it although the Dr. says it is no longer trapped and I can’t injure it by sitting now.

I did have a few bowel movements hurt from early constipation but eat high water content foods to help and have been drinking prune juice ( its natural and it works).

Confused about whether to move, not move etc. I have decided that moving is healing so I have been going since right after surgery. With limitations and as tolerable.

While in bed at the hospital started heal slides and did dorsiflexion ( up and down) and ankle rolls with foot very, very frequently. Walked 1 lap around hall at hospital first day, 2 laps around later that night, and 2 laps around the halls several times the day after surgery.

Every day since surgery I have walked as much as I can. I believe staying in bed is not good for me at all.

Keeps me stiff, sore and tears up my right side which is the only side I can lay on.

Once I got home to my sisters in North Houston ( thank god my family is from Houston!!) , I started walking a few hundred yards a time then would rest. Did that for the first two days home along with standing ankle rolls, standing dorsiflexion of my feet and hamstring lifts in the standing position with no weight of course.

3rd day home walked about .75 miles, took it easy the next day and got back after it the following day.
Eventually walked up to a mile on the 5th and 6th days post op along with several 100-200 yard walks just to be up.

7th day I took it easy because of the doc appointment and was expecting to drive home to Austin ( 3 hours normally)

I drove home the 7th day, stopped a bazillion times and made a 3 hour drive into a 5 hour drive.

I was sore but really had no sitting pain from the nerve. Just big pain from the surgery wound.
Did very little the day after the drive. Didn’t walk . But, I live on the second floor so I had to go up stairs one time.
Been limiting stairs to 1-2 per day mostly so I can go do my walks. I’m confused about what to do about stairs. I see conflicting suggestions.

Walked 1.2 miles yesterday morning (day11) and felt strong and real good.

I’m going out of my way to walk as vertically/upright as possible with pelvis out in front while stretching upward while walking intermittently.

I have driven 2-3 times since I got back to Austin with some discomfort but I got out of the car as soon as it got “sore”. Again , most of my soreness is from the surgery wound.

Started icing wound site 3 days ago with large freezer bag full of ice and water and it helps wonders.

In the shower, I put on fairly hot/warm water and let it run over the wound site for 10 minutes on and off and it has helped loosen up the “knots” and helped loosen up my glute while helping the bruises clear up.

Trying not to lift anything over 20 lbs. This is hard. Can’t pick up my 4 year old but that’s ok with me today. I am avoiding bending at the waiste.

I cannot wait to get into our 66 degree spring-fed pool here in Austin which was my main pain killer for the last year or so. Plus, swimming keeps me loose and strong and I sleep well.

I’m cleared to swim tomorrow but I’ll probably wait a few days until the little black abscess clears up. It’s clearing up day by day.
I usually swim .5 miles to a mile but I’m just going to float, do light torso twisting with a pull buoy between my legs for a week or so.

The main benefit of the pool for me early on will be the very cold water. It does wonders as I ‘ve mentioned.

I am off all narcotics. Started taking ibuprofen today to help with inflammation ( 3 pills 3x per day)

Started back on my fish oil which helps with flexibility and is a natural anti-inflammatory on day 8 post op. It’s already greatly improved my flexibility.

Eating high water content foods to avoid constipation. Drinking tons of water to rehydrate and help with healing and flushing out narcotics from surgery.

Began B-50 vitamin on day 8 also to help with nerve healing. That will take time I’m sure.

I have had some “talking” from the nerve but mostly its intermittent firings of the nerve as if it is trying to regen old pathways that didn’t work before.

I do have some tingling in legs after standing for long periods.

Now I’m just trying to get on with work while standing and being with my daughter.

I know this is going to take time. I am not patient but I am learning to be. I don’t know what’s next but it is God’s hands.

I feel very blessed by God to at least have a shot at recovery. Time will tell. I am upbeat and positive. Mostly, I am deeply, deeply grateful and thankful for this chance.

I had no chance before this procedure.

God bless those with this horrific condition and Dr. Ansell and his team. What pros!!

I will keep updating to let you know how things go.

Thank you all so much for sharing your experience, strength and hope.

Please let me know if I can share more of my story to help any of you.

FDG
helenlegs 11

Re: 12 days Post Op , Left TG, Houston Team

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I was reading down your post and my look of happy surprise just grew and grew. I think you are doing fantastically !! and hope that continues.
Personally I think you are doing the best thing, keeping moving, as the build up of any scar tissue is the thing that seems to set people back. 'Nerve glide' seems to be the thing and I doubt you need to move too much for that, but, just keep it up.
I know Dr Dellon is big on water walking, might be good in the pool?
Well done, it's great to hear good news :)
Take care
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

How exciting and wonderful to hear your good news! It has made my day. I didn't know you had a 4 year old; that's such a nice age in a child, so sweet but without so much workload as a toddler.

I hope your healing journey goes very smoothly, and I am so glad to hear all that you are doing to help it along.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Best wishes to you, FDG! I'm glad your recovery is going so well and hope it continues for you. :D
fguerra wrote:I feel very blessed by God to at least have a shot at recovery. Time will tell. I am upbeat and positive. Mostly, I am deeply, deeply grateful and thankful for this chance.

I had no chance before this procedure.
My sentiments, exactly! ;)
Please keep us updated about your progress ...
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
nyt

Post by nyt »

I am so happy to hear how FANTASTIC you are doing! Prayers are sent for your continued recovery!
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

NO narcotics!!! I am impressed!!!

congratulations for making it to the other side

cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Wow, you are really doing well! Very best wishes for your continued recovery!
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
paulette

Post by paulette »

FDG,
I envy your rapid and successful recovery. You mentioned doing nerve glides. I tried that one night, standing because it hurts to sit. For the next three days, I was in misery. It seems unwise to irritate the nerve, but i am afraid of scar tissue formation. Do you do any exercises besides walking, swimming, and the nerve glides? Any stretches? I too avoid bending at the waist, simply because I haven't done it for two years and believe it would irritate the nerve big time.

Congratulations on your progress!

Paulette
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hi thanks for keeping us updated and wish you continued success! :D

No burning when urinating. I’m not going to test the sitting pain much and will just do it as little as possible for a while. No need to potentially exacerbate it although the Dr. says it is no longer trapped and I can’t injure it by sitting now.
I confused by this statement. Does this mean if a person does not have entrapment but does have pudendal neuralgia sitting does not cause further injury?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

FDG,

So awesome to hear that you are recovering well!

Regarding stairs, with Dr. Bautrant's approach I was allowed to go upstairs right away after surgery since the nerve had been released but I'm not sure with the TG if you need to allow some healing of the gluteal muscle first. Some people have said that they have to go up one stair at a time after TG surgery. I would think that within 6 weeks post-op that should be healed enough to use stairs normally.

Best wishes with your continued recovery,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “SURGERY”