Low Back pain

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Faith

Low Back pain

Post by Faith »

I noticed that low back pain can be a symptom of PN (radiating pain). Does anyone have this problem? Sometimes my low back pain (sacral area) is worse than the inability to sit because it hurts even when laying down. Maybe this isn't from PN, but rather from my supposed SI joint issues. I may never understand how it all correlates. Just wondering if anyone else has low back pain and what they do for it.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
kat

Re: Low Back pain

Post by kat »

I have this and I was told it is because that is where the pudendal nerves attached to the spine. I lay on ice pack to get some relief or I use bengay patches on it. My lower back pain is chronic and has been worse since surgery 13 weeks ago. Laying flat is the best I can do. Sitting or bending definitely makes it worse.
Good luck

Kathy
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Yes! I also have severe pain coming from my sacral area and laying down, in any position is excruiating. My hip area hurt, too. Do yours? My very limited understanding of this pain is that it IS related to the PN, being that the nerve runs from your groin area and then wraps around the bottom of the sacrum. For me, the sacrum pain is just as bad, if not worse than the PN pain. I'm not able to lie flat on my back AT ALL. Not even for 5 minutes. You can imagine how difficult this is at doctors appointments, PT and for treatments. I also have "sciatic like" pain on either side of my sacrum, very much like the PN pain. It's that unspeakable, sharp, pinching/pulling/tugging/stabbing and electric shock. Stops me dead in my tracks and takes my breath away sometimes. I got these pain patches at CVS that will sometimes take the edge off, but I haven't found anything yet that will give any significant relief.
Have any of you surgical patients had this? Does surgery correct it?
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
kat

Post by kat »

Surgery didn't correct mine. In fact, my lower back pain and my left outer hip pain is worse since surgery. I'm unable to lay on my left side due to burning and pain. This pain is just so much better than the fire inside my pelvis and vagina that I'm dealing with it. I'm praying that continued PT and strengthening (when I'm able to do strengthening exercise) will help calm the pain down. I don't know if that is true, but I have to believe it for now.

If you find a solution for the lower back pain I would love to hear it. I'm addicted to bengay patches and ice packs still, but it would be nice to wear cloths other than long night gowns.

Kathy
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Faith I get low back pain from SI joint dysfunction and chronically strained SI ligaments. Some people get relief with physical therapy but I didn't. I had one prolotherapy injections that helped.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Sounds like SIJD and PN go together in a lot of cases.

Violet, so the one prolotherapy treatment helped you enough? I have considered trying to pursue this. I don't know if it is offered in my area though.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Faith wrote: Violet, so the one prolotherapy treatment helped you enough?
Most people have more than one treatment and I really should have more because I'm not 100% -- but my pain isn't that bad. If I was still in a lot of pain I would have more treatments because I felt like that one treatment did make a difference in my SI pain. Some people feel like prolotherapy was a lifesaver but I should caution that it can cause scar tissue if you have many treatments.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kat

Post by kat »

Violet - What is a prolotherapy treatment?
How long did you have lower back pain before you tried it?
Was it painful?
from 1 - 10 what level was your back pain that made you decide to try prolotherapy treatment?
Would you remind me where you live again? I'm wondering if this treatment is available in my area.

Sorry for all the questions and I thank you for the information.

Kathy
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

kat wrote:Violet - What is a prolotherapy treatment?
How long did you have lower back pain before you tried it?
Was it painful?
from 1 - 10 what level was your back pain that made you decide to try prolotherapy treatment?
Would you remind me where you live again? I'm wondering if this treatment is available in my area.

Sorry for all the questions and I thank you for the information.

Kathy
Kat, prolotherapy is injections of sugar water into ligaments to help them heal. Ligaments do not have a rich blood supply and don't heal easily. The theory behind prolotherapy is that it will cause an inflammation in the ligament and it will heal stronger. It is painful because it sets up an inflammation in the ligament and you can't take anti-inflammatory analgesics afterward.

I had pain in the SI area for several years before trying prolo and it ranged from a 1-5 level pain. Now I would say it's a 0-4 level pain -- usually a 0. I had been told by several healthcare providers that I had pelvic instability with chronically strained SI ligaments.

I live in the Southwest, US. Here is a website that gives a list of docs who give prolo. http://getprolo.com/ The problem is insurance doesn't cover it -- at least not here.

Violet
kat

Post by kat »

Thank you for that website. Is this website on that part of the Hope site for (Important Websites or whatever it's called)?
I feel others may be interested in knowing about this option.

So you said it hurt and that you were not able to take anti inflammatories? Does that mean it was after surgery and you were no longer on pain meds or anything?
My back pain didn't start until after my surgery and so it is only 13 weeks old. I feel it is too soon to decide what to do, but it seems that many PN people have this lower back issue so I want to be prepared if it doesn't just heal on its own.

How did you get so smart? I'm so new at this PN game that I feel like I'm so behind in what options are available to me. Surgery was the first step of my fight with PN. I thought the first 32 years with undiagnosed PN was hard. Being diagnosed is definitely better, but it is a fight just the same.

Bless you for having the patients to continue to explain things to me.

Kathy

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”