how does one look when in pain...

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
river133

how does one look when in pain...

Post by river133 »

You don't look like you are in pain, was a statement said to me... What does one say to someone like that... I am on 75 mg. of Fetenyl, and it just barely touches my pain... I have been really tough when it has come to pain in the past... this thing is so horrible,,,, I speechless right now... Ellie
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
florabunda

Re: how does one look when in pain...

Post by florabunda »

Hi River
I know how I look in pain. The pain that is constant hardly causes an expression as it is how I always feel. The shooters cause a momentary exclamation. The long time severe no-one sees me. I also know how I feel in pain which is probably a more important question. People dont ask that though very often. It is not about looks as looks are well known for being deceiving in all walks of life. Take care
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

River

i have had both sides of the coin...wow you look great....and oh dear you dont look great.
Medications can make us look dazed in our eyes, frown lines can appear when we are struggling, but as Florabunda said, those stabbing pains that make us gasp in pain have no way of being hidden! I find it embarassing in the middle of a supermarket to suddenly gasp....but Ive no control over it at all!
I had a doctor once who said to me well you look great......yet if we dont care about our hair and appearance we are classed as depressed.
The morale here is never judge a book by its cover!!!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Amanda wrote:but as Florabunda said, those stabbing pains that make us gasp in pain have no way of being hidden! I find it embarassing in the middle of a supermarket to suddenly gasp....but Ive no control over it at all!
OMG - I know it! I try very hard to hide the pain, too, but I've also got no control over that EMBARASSING gasping! :oops: I'm so sorry this happens to you but am glad to know I'm not the only one! :)
And River, I often don't know what to say to people who tell me I don't look like I'm in pain, either. Just what are we supposed to look like? More often than not, I'll smile, mumble a thank you and remove myself. I also love the comments from people I haven't seen in a while, who inquire as to how I'm doing.
When they learn I'm pretty much same 'ol, same 'ol, they respond, "Still?!??!??"
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
calluna

Post by calluna »

I think we've all encountered that particularly 'helpful' remark, or something like it - and it can hurt, because it can seem like the person doesn't believe us.

I have found that when someone makes a hurtful remark it is a good idea to remind myself that the person usually doesn't mean to be hurtful, they probably just don't know what to say, because this is outside the realm of their experience. And they simply haven't considered that their words can hurt our feelings.

The best response I have found, when someone says ' But you don't look ill' or 'But you don't look like you are in pain' or 'But you look so well' or whatever! - is just to say, thankyou, and take it as a compliment.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”